Rega P3 motor pulley makes noise

on level ground
Lazy_Borzoi
United States of America

Rega P3 motor pulley makes noise

Post by Lazy_Borzoi » 12 Jan 2020 16:53

Hello Rega owners.
I have a 1 y.o. Rega P3 which I bought brand new from Mangolia Center at BestBuy. A few days ago I took the belt off for cleaning and decided to turn the TT on without the belt. To my surprise, the pulley started making a fairly loud periodic noise. I made a video of this. Here is the link:
https://imgur.com/a/fAPt1YR
With the belt on, the noise is not noticeable and completely undetectable unless I put my ear right next to the platter. I can still hear it but it's very very quiet.
I cannot detect any significant wobble by eye (I guess there is some when the belt is off but it's very small).
Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my TT and if I should take it back to fix it? I'm afraid if I show this video in the store and they see that with the belt on it seems to be fine they'll refuse to do anything...
Thanks in advance!

Lazy_Borzoi
United States of America

Re: Rega P3 motor pulley makes noise

Post by Lazy_Borzoi » 13 Jan 2020 13:28

Update:
upon further investigation, I discovered that the pulley itself has some play both horizontally and vertically on the motor shaft so when it's run without the belt, centripetal throws it around making this noise. With the belt on, it's kept pushed to one side and it's quiet.
Here's a link to another video:
https://imgur.com/a/HEa9bHX

I assume that's not normal?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 13 Jan 2020 14:20

That is not supposed to be normal.
Some people have found that a drop of super glue will fix that problem. Just drop it on the top.

Cheers,
Alec

Lazy_Borzoi
United States of America

Post by Lazy_Borzoi » 14 Jan 2020 04:27

Thanks, Alec.
I did reach out to our local Rega distributor and shared my videos with them. Their reply was "they see nothing wrong with my TT other than the motor noise" which they told me I should apply some oil to and "it should fix it"...
I guess I'll give it a try but I don't see how adding more oil should fix the play my spindle or pulley has...
Am I missing something?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 14 Jan 2020 05:05

If the pulley is loose on the shaft, look for a small grub screw in the side. If there is none, try a drop of superglue in the top.
A drop of oil on the tip of a small screwdriver, touched to the motor shaft under the pulley, will run down into the bearing.
I think I see something else.
Rest your hand on the base, and lightly touch a pencil to the side of the rotating sub=platter, close to the belt. You should feel no movement in the pencil.
If the sub-platter is out of round, this will affect your sound. That's why I like the machined metal sub-platters.

Cheers,
Alec

Lazy_Borzoi
United States of America

Post by Lazy_Borzoi » 15 Jan 2020 03:39

Alec,
I got one better than that.
I forgot that I have a dial indicator. So I took it and measured how true my pulley and subplatter spindle are.

For the pulley, i decided to measure the amount of play with the belt on since that's how the TT is supposed to be used anyway. It turns out the total deflection of the probe was only 0.0005" or 12.5 um. Here's the video:
https://imgur.com/a/sYqdiJT
[Edit] I just realized that I should have placed the probe closer to the belt, not lower like I did. I will redo it later but I don't think the result would be much worse. 12.5 um is a very small number!

For the subplatter record spindle, the total deflection was 0.003" or 76 um. Here's the video of that measurement:
https://imgur.com/a/4swXeyz
I doubt that the hole placement in most records are going to be centered better than that so I am pretty happy with both numbers.
Thoughts anyone?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 15 Jan 2020 13:02

Sounds OK.
I don't have the dial indicator, so I improvised. The sub-platter of my 1978 Planar 2 had shrivelled unevenly, and sounded quite bad.

Cheers,
Alec

Lazy_Borzoi
United States of America

Post by Lazy_Borzoi » 16 Jan 2020 13:49

Thank you, Alec!
I also measured the play in the subplatter where the belt touches it and it was more than the first two numbers. The total deflection of the probe was around 0.010" or ~250 um.
Can that negatively affect the wow and flutter?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 16 Jan 2020 14:32

Can you hear any unsteadiness in the sound?

Cheers,
Alec

Lazy_Borzoi
United States of America

Post by Lazy_Borzoi » 17 Jan 2020 13:51

Nope, I cannot.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 17 Jan 2020 14:09

If it sounds good to you, then don't worry about it.

Cheers,
Alec

Lazy_Borzoi
United States of America

Post by Lazy_Borzoi » 18 Jan 2020 16:34

UPDATE:
Turns out my issue was in the motor itself. Lubing the motor shaft with a few drops of motor oil and letting the motor run overnight made my motor quiet. There was probably a dry spot from storage or during transportation before it got to me (if the box was ever set on the side or something).
So my problem is fixed now!