Rega Planar 3 upgrades

on level ground
Mustangjeff

Rega Planar 3 upgrades

Post by Mustangjeff » 26 Dec 2019 20:14

I recently purchased a 1yr old Rega Planar 3 w/2M Bronze off Audiogon, and should be getting it next week. I had an RP1 some years ago so I'm a little bit familiar with Rega. I have a few questions though.

1) I don't think this table has a 2mm spacer installed for VTA. Any thoughts on needing one when using a 2M Bronze? Does the dust cover still fit with a 2mm spacer?

2) From the pictures I've seen, the table is using a black belt. Is the reference belt worth the added cost?

I'm going to hold off doing any major modifications to this table for awhile. My RP1 was a bit of a Frankenstein. When I initially got the table I had a lot of platter wobble. I ended up getting a tangospinner, glass platter, and white belt which took care of the problem. I think I had also purchases third party plinth bracing, and an upgraded motor for the thing to. I had way more into it than the table initially cost me. I'm hoping to keep things a bit more simple now :)

DT999
Australia

Re: Rega Planar 3 upgrades

Post by DT999 » 27 Dec 2019 05:53

I have a P3 with 2m Bronze and really like this combination, in fact I swapped from a Denon DL110 after hearing the P3 and Bronze at a hifi shop while auditioning a new amp. I have a spacer which I had with the Denon but the shop did not use a spacer for their demo table to no real detriment. It may also depend on the mat you decide to use, some are thicker than others which will also affect VTA.
If you use a spacer the counterweight may well hit the lid, you can get an underslung weight, which I have, I find this actually helps tracking, but a cheaper way of dealing with the issue is using some clear sticky bumper dots at each corner of the lid, or get a Rega tungsten counterweight which is a smaller diameter.
There are a number of belts worth trying other than the standard black or even white Rega belt, I've not tried it but Edwards little belter gets good reviews. I now use Tango spinner clear belts with the Tango spinner subplatter and dual pulley.
There are not many differences between a new P3 and P6, the main ones being the platter material, a metal subplatter and a Neo PSU (which you can add later). I think one of the best upgrades for a lower end Rega is the metal subplatter.

Mustangjeff

Post by Mustangjeff » 27 Dec 2019 13:07

Thanks for the reply DT999. After making my post I discovered a few things that you mentioned.

I asked the HiFi shop that was selling the table if the original owner had a spacer installed on the table, and it was confirmed that it didn't. He suggested one be added due to Bronze being a bit more sensitive to VTA than some other carts. I remembered my RP1 with a 2M Blue had issues with the cartridge bottoming out on thicker vinyl (until I added washers) so I think the 2mm spacer was a good idea. This weekend the shop will install the spacer and go over the mounting geometry one last time before shipping it out.

I found some small clear sticky bumper dots on Amazon that are about 3mm tall and picked those up for the dust cover. That should be enough to compensate for the spacer. Once I get the table and have a chance to listen I will see if I get the urge to upgrade the subplatter.

I had fun upgrading the RP1 when I had it, but it was a bit like going down the rabbit hole. In the end I would have been much better off purchasing a turntable higher up in the food chain. I'm hoping to avoid that this time around and just be happy with it.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 31 Dec 2019 16:20

I sell a belt test kit (find my post here) that allows you to try six different materials (including silicone) to see what sounds best to you.

VTA should be on spec, and I also recommend the under-slung weight so the center of mass is closer to the stylus height. I use the Michell which I’m happy with.

szxz1z
United States of America

Post by szxz1z » 31 Dec 2019 20:29

Has anyone upgraded the feet on their P3 ? I'm looking for both improved isolation and leveling ability.

DT999
Australia

Post by DT999 » 31 Dec 2019 23:09

Not changed the feet on the TT , but I used some Tangospinner adjustable feet with a bamboo cutting board to help isolate and level the table. You could use any other adjustable feet also.
IMG_0828.JPG
(193.17 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Wall mounted shelves are highly recommended for this, but I have stud walls and the position did not make this viable for me, so went for this support.

I feel it works well, I have suspended wood floors and absolutely no problem with footfall or other vibrations, but the cabinet it is on is very large and heavy as well.

I initially used ply which worked but after reading a number of threads on VE about material for plinths and vibration, decided to try the bamboo as it's fairly cheep. Is it any better? Possibly - I do think there is 'slightly' more focus to the bass than with the ply, but both worked.

safin

Post by safin » 15 Jan 2020 04:25

Funk Firm Boing R isolation feet is made for Rega, I'm going to pick it up from local dealer today. I like it because it is not just a spike but with 3 spring inside to support the TT. Springs can be added to up to 9 springs each for 35kg max. Of couse 3 springs are enough for Rega turntable.