Rega P2 Upgrade.. Subplatter or Cartridge First?

on level ground
brubacca

Rega P2 Upgrade.. Subplatter or Cartridge First?

Post by brubacca » 28 Nov 2019 00:25

Title says it all. I am looking to upgrade my stock Rega P2.

Which is better Subplatter or Cartridge?
(Looking at Tangospinner or Hana EL)

I am thinking that the cartridge is such a large step over the Carbon that this is the way to go.

I know the first reaction will probably be a upgrade to a P3 or P6. Just too big a jump. I have almost enough saved for the Hana and could do the tangospinner immediately.

I have tried a vividline stylus upgrade to the carbon, but it makes the cartridge very analytical (I just tried again).

Any thoughts?

Edit: Is 200 hours a lot on a used cartridge?

TJKV

Re: Rega P2 Upgrade.. Subplatter or Cartridge First?

Post by TJKV » 28 Nov 2019 18:11

I upgraded the cartridge first (from Carbon to Bias2). The change was amazing.

Then I upgraded to Tangspinner subplatter and it was a huge change as well.

Would I do it again, I would go the same route.

You will end up with both anyways....

Lion89
England

Post by Lion89 » 30 Nov 2019 08:55

Hi, 200 hours is nothing for a stylus; it’s barely worn in!

If you are using the stock glass platter with a mat, I am not sure you would notice any difference at all. A good sub will definitely lower the noise floor, but the glass platter is heavy and and works well, with the standard sub.

I depends what you are looking for. A very experienced user of this forum ‘caffe latte’, would tell you i’m sure that All these upgrades will cost you a lot, and you will just end up with a variant of the same flavour.

The deck can only be as good as its weakest link; in this case the tone arm.

The biggest difference you can make is adding an Acrylic platter. It makes a massive difference to the P2. Tight bass , nice balance to the highs & mids. A nice detailed warm sound. Acrylic can take time to adjust to though.

Respect

🦁

regabob

Post by regabob » 30 Nov 2019 13:41

I'd go cartridge all day. There are plenty of better cartridge options than the Carbon. Denon DL110 would be my first choice upgrade... Cheaper and better than a Hana EL and may allow you to have the tango spinner as well if you can stretch the budget?

brubacca

Post by brubacca » 30 Nov 2019 17:14

Thanks for all the thoughts. A dealer I know thinks that upgrading the table/tonearm has a much bigger impact than the cartridge.

My thought with the P2 was that a few upgrades could take it to a high enough level for me. I have less than 50 albums. Its even a fun listen as is although when I go to my better vinyl I'd like a bit more out of it.

As far as upgrading the platter I have concerns about this. All the platters are universal, but the newest Planar 3 and Planar 2 have different thickness platters. If I upgrade to a new platter I'll also need spacers to keep the cartridge VTA correct. From the product literature a Planar 2 has a 10mm platter and the P3 has a 12mm.

I'll investigate the DL110. When I looked at the DL103 compliance I thought that it was a mismatch for the Rega. I had wanted a Zu Audio DL103, but it was a mismatch for the arm.

regabob

Post by regabob » 01 Dec 2019 08:53

An acrylic platter, such as the Edwards Audio TT-AP12 is a 12 mm platter that doesn't need a mat, you place the record directly on it, so it works out the same height as the stock rega 10mm platter with mat. This is useful if you're upgrading to a non rega cart - as Rega's cartridges are at least 2mm shorter in height than those from other manufacturers.

But, the Planar 2 does have its limitations, and now you're on that quest for better sound quality (I call it upgrade-itis!) :D you'll hit the ceiling of what the Planar 2 can offer you, once you start upgrading with that turntable...

brubacca

Post by brubacca » 03 Dec 2019 14:40

Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately life just came up and stole my audio money. Damn car.

I'll just have to be happy with my stock P2 for now, but honestly it sounds really good. Spinning The Police Synchronicity right now. Just took DMB Under the Table and Dreaming off (also sounds really good).
Its not the "level" of my other gear, but thats life. Vinyl is a secondary source for me.

Lion89
England

Post by Lion89 » 03 Dec 2019 17:15

Interesting, what is your primary source?

respect

🦁

brubacca

Post by brubacca » 03 Dec 2019 20:01

My system is:
Monitor Audio Rs8 Speakers
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum Amp
Roon ROCK Server
Sonore MicroRendu
Schiit Gungnir MultiBit
Lehman Audio Black Cube Statement
Rega P2

------------
I had a VPI Traveler TT with a Ortofon 2M blue. Through a series of unfortunate events I can no longer use that table. Its a long story, but the Tonearm is broken and a replacement was more than I was willing to spend.... Actually I enjoy the Rega P2 more than the VPI..... Although had the Tonearm not broken and had I received anything approaching decent customer service I'd bet a different cartridge would have sung on that TT.

I got the P2 to see if I would continue with vinyl and the Planar 3 was out of range and still is.

Lion89
England

Post by Lion89 » 03 Dec 2019 21:02

WoW.

brubacca

Post by brubacca » 03 Dec 2019 22:58

I have over 600 cds digitized on my Roon. I only have about 40-50 albums and it may just be 40.

I was fortunate a few years ago and was able to get that good gear. Its all, rest of my life kind of stuff especially the Rogue.