My Rega P2 evolving

on level ground
TJKV

My Rega P2 evolving

Post by TJKV » 14 Nov 2019 17:42

Hi all, new member here, first time posting today.

2 years ago I found an old turntable, that had belonged to my grandpa in the 60´s and 70´s, and a bunch of old records that belonged to my dad, mostly 70's Rock&Roll (which is my favourite music). It was a very cheap turntable, not HiFi by any means. I took it home, restored it, bought a new stylus and started buying new records. Shortly after that, the TT just died, so I decided to buy my first decent unit.

After a lot of researching (hence my joining date to this forum), and looking for what was available locally, I decided that the Rega P2 was the best price/quality ratio I could get locally.

In february this year, I bought a brand new white Rega Planar2, with a Fono MM MK3 preamp, and AudioEngine A5+ speakers.

It was really a bliss hearing my old records, I was really happy with the sound quality. And it is a beauty to look at, too!

A couple of week forward, I bought the rega Performance Pack, wich includes the Bias2 cartdridge, a wool mat, and a white belt. I skeptically installed them all, not expecting much to change, but boy was I mistaken. I could not believe my ears.

And obviously, a couple of months later, it was impossible to leave it at that. After a lot of research, I got some Tangospinner upgrades (Gus is really as cool and customer oriented as everyone here says). I will be installing them in the next couple of days. Can´t wait to share my opinion on them!

ClaudeG

Re: My Rega P2 evolving

Post by ClaudeG » 15 Nov 2019 07:38

Well done, let us know your findings!

Enjoy music

Claude

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 15 Nov 2019 15:32

I bought my Rega P324 in 2010. The only things original on it now are the motor, plinth and 301 arm although not all of it. I changed out the original counterweight for a Michell technoweight mainly so I would have adequate clearance to install a taller cartridge. One day I may even upgrade the whole arm. Anyway, have fun in your quest.

TJKV

Post by TJKV » 16 Nov 2019 02:13

So, I installed the upgrades today. I got a Double Zirconia subplatter, coupled with a bronze pulley and the clear silicone belt. I also got the adjustable feet.

Installation was a breeze, instructions provided were very clear.

I tested the upgrades with Bohemian Rhapsody, from a japanese 1975 Night at the Opera pressing. First impresions were very positive. You could hear the music being "more alive". It filled the room in a totally unexpected way. Then, I started hearing something wrong, like a resonating vibration at certain frequencies. I started to worry I had wasted my money.

So I put on "Masseduction" by St. Vincent and there was no hint of the problem. The amount of detail the turntable extracted from the record was impressive.

After that I tried some jazz, I put on a record by John Coltrane. It was like he was playing live in my living room.

I can't be happier with the upgrades, but will continue the tests tomorrow to try to understand what happened to that Queen record.

Fire99
Canada

Post by Fire99 » 17 Nov 2019 13:53

Congrats! It sounds like your on your way to an empty bank account like the rest of us who catch the upgrade fever!
Enjoy, happy listening.

British Raj
England

Post by British Raj » 17 Nov 2019 14:13

Fire99 wrote:
17 Nov 2019 13:53
Congrats! It sounds like your on your way to an empty bank account like the rest of us who catch the upgrade fever!
Enjoy, happy listening.
So true ... :)

TJKV

Post by TJKV » 17 Nov 2019 15:19

Been testing the whole weekend... Some records sound amazing. And on some, I can hear this annoing resonance, on mid-range vocals. Haven't figured it out yet.

I think I will roll back to the stock subplatter and keep testing. Perhaps it was always there and I'm just paying attention now. Also I'll try to record what I'm hearing and upload it to soundcloud.

TJKV

Post by TJKV » 17 Nov 2019 21:16

So I went back to the stock subplatter, belt and bearing. I could hear the same sound. So the problem must be the records. Unless the problem lies in the feet or the pulley, which I highly doubt. I will sleep soundly today LOL.

Anyways, at least I could once again compare the sound depth and detail. Can't recommend the upgrades enough... :)

I took the opportunity to measure RPM (turntabulator on an ipad). Stock: 33.45 / Tangospinner 33.25

Next upgrades I'm evaluating are top and bottom bracings.

TJKV

Post by TJKV » 19 Nov 2019 21:37

After a couple days, I can´t be happier.

As expected, I will continue upgrading... I know it's maybe more reasonable to save money and trade the TT for a higher end model, perhaps a P3 or a P6, but lets face it... That one would be upgraded to!

So for now I will focus on having fun with the tinkering.

Next steps are planned as following:

Cork mat (but I have been evaluating a Herbie Way Excellent 2)
Michael Lim's Top Bracing
Michael Lim's Bottom Bracing
Michael Lim's Tonearm stabilizer
Cartdridge (currently I'm debating between AT VM95ML vs Rega Exact)
Delrin or Acrilic Platter
Michael Lim's motor isolation

What do you guys think?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 19 Nov 2019 23:44

I think you're hooked. ;)

Cheers,
Alec

brubacca

Post by brubacca » 20 Nov 2019 10:59

I too have a p2 and am looking forward to some tweaks. This is just my opinion mind you, but before I bought the motor mount or braces I'd upgrade to the P3 and exact. You are getting a better plinth, arm and motor in the P3. Your subplatter will move with you to the P3 as well.

I'm really considering taking the Hana plunge on my P2 and a subplatter. Tangospinner makes sense to me, but there is also a delrin subplatter that I have seen.

Lion89
England

Post by Lion89 » 20 Nov 2019 20:37

Totally agree with Brubacca. The P2 is a fine deck, but it is Rega’s top entry level deck none the less. I have too upgraded subplatter, platter and it dropped the noise floor massively. I am very happy with the way it sounds.

The tonearm and ‘fixed’ anti-skate
on the P2 make further upgrades difficult. I have stopped upgrading now and am really enjoying my vinyl. The problem is, every time you make a change, you expect it to be positive; then you go thru hours of studying ‘is it better, isn’t it?’ and that is not always enjoyable.

The bottom line is, to really achieve the biggest upgrade once you have done the basics, you have to upgrade the cartridge to something around the £350 / $500 at least. The P2 is not the deck for this imo.

Enjoy your vinyl

respect

🦁