Planar 1 and a "Q-up"

on level ground
FantasticMrFox81
Great Britain

Planar 1 and a "Q-up"

Post by FantasticMrFox81 » 17 Sep 2019 18:24

Good evening one and all,

Does anybody have any experience of the "Q-up" with a rega planar 1?

In the UK they seem to retail for around £45. Is this a good price?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kind regards,

MrFox

Lion89
England

Re: Planar 1 and a "Q-up"

Post by Lion89 » 19 Sep 2019 20:32

Hello, Welcome. I have no experience of this, but after having a brief look, I just can’t see any justification for spending 45 pence on this, let alone £45!

Sorry

Respect

🦁

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 19 Sep 2019 21:22

I have two of Q-ups on different TTs. While these do not have sexy look as it has been said above, they do work surprisingly well. OK, I got them for 18EUR a' piece some time ago but still I see no justification for spending 100 or more on so to speak vanity device.
However for me this kind of device is highly valuable. I do not listen music laying down on a sofa but doing something usually. And hate to get up and lift the arm when it is not convenient for me. So it is a good solution to have auto-lift without clunky mechanics that possibly adds some noise.
The only thing to note is that this device will not work on all TT's. You need room between the arm-rest and the plate to mount it and you need to have enough distance between the plate and the arm 'cos Q-up can go only that low. For instance it will not fit on Pioneer PL12D - there is not enough clearance from plate to arm.

FantasticMrFox81
Great Britain

Post by FantasticMrFox81 » 20 Sep 2019 19:40

Lion89 wrote:
19 Sep 2019 20:32
Hello, Welcome. I have no experience of this, but after having a brief look, I just can’t see any justification for spending 45 pence on this, let alone £45!

Sorry

Respect

🦁
Evening Lion89,

Fair enough, I'm just renowned for putting records on and then forgetting and I just don't want to wear my needle out too soon... also, prone to nodding off in the evening listening to music on my record player.

Best wishes,

MrFox

FantasticMrFox81
Great Britain

Post by FantasticMrFox81 » 20 Sep 2019 19:45

vanakaru wrote:
19 Sep 2019 21:22
I have two of Q-ups on different TTs. While these do not have sexy look as it has been said above, they do work surprisingly well. OK, I got them for 18EUR a' piece some time ago but still I see no justification for spending 100 or more on so to speak vanity device.
However for me this kind of device is highly valuable. I do not listen music laying down on a sofa but doing something usually. And hate to get up and lift the arm when it is not convenient for me. So it is a good solution to have auto-lift without clunky mechanics that possibly adds some noise.
The only thing to note is that this device will not work on all TT's. You need room between the arm-rest and the plate to mount it and you need to have enough distance between the plate and the arm 'cos Q-up can go only that low. For instance it will not fit on Pioneer PL12D - there is not enough clearance from plate to arm.
Hi vanakaru,

Thanks very much for the information. Very useful, and I'm hoping sufficient clearance on the planar 1 to install one as I mentioned in a previous reply, and it sounds, similar to yourself, I can get distracted usually during the day and forget I've got a record playing or if it's a relaxed evening of listening I can fall asleep with a record playing....

Many thanks is again for your insightful response. It's much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

MrFox 🦊

Lion89
England

Post by Lion89 » 20 Sep 2019 20:56

If it works 4 you, then why not. And yes I do fall asleep with the needle in the runout!!

🦁

FantasticMrFox81
Great Britain

Post by FantasticMrFox81 » 21 Sep 2019 00:28

Well I shall give it a 'bash' and let you know how it goes.

I have read that in the grand scheme of things leaving it playing in the run off is not going to have a huge impact on the longevity of the stylus none-the-less it bothers me somewhat.... I dont know why.

I have found one for around £18 so for that price I'm going to take a punt.

Cheers,

MrFox 🦊

FantasticMrFox81
Great Britain

Post by FantasticMrFox81 » 21 Sep 2019 11:57

Lion89 wrote:
20 Sep 2019 20:56
If it works 4 you, then why not. And yes I do fall asleep with the needle in the runout!!

🦁
So you need to get one if you have the same problem of sleeping to a playing run out 😉