Is this cartridge misaligned?

on level ground
akatosh86

Is this cartridge misaligned?

Post by akatosh86 » 16 Sep 2019 12:52

Hi
I visit this place rather rarely, but I need an advice once more. I bought a 2016 Planar 3 last year, with a factory-mounted Elys2 on it, so I didn't even bother checking the alignment (I did, but didn't pay much attention)
The playback has been mostly fine, but sometimes I used to get distortions on certain records (never on some records). Now, I hear a distortion on a record that is new and that has been played 5-6 times max. There are some marks on the grooves themselves, possibly damage - because it doesn't clean
Then I used the white paper method under the cartridge and it looks loke this on the image attached

As I know, the equal amount of paper must be seen from both of those rear holes. Insted, the left one shows and the right hole completely blocks the paper.
How much damage would this cartridge do?
Attachments
20190916_152749.jpg
(59.66 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Is this cartridge misaligned?

Post by Alec124c41 » 16 Sep 2019 13:49

Do you keep the stylus clean?
The three screws ensure that the Rega cartridge is aligned according to Rega factory standards.
Nonetheless, slight misalignment would not damage your records.
Damage to the stylus, and possibly, grossly excessive tracking force, could be a problem. Too little tracking force could also be a problem.
Set the tracking force to 0, and the arm should balance, stylus hovering at record height (off the rest, lifter down). Then set the tracking force to the appropriate number.
If you get distortion more on one channel, left indicates too much anti-skate, and right indicates too little.

Cheers,
Alec

akatosh86

Re: Is this cartridge misaligned?

Post by akatosh86 » 16 Sep 2019 15:50

Thanks for the reply

I clean the stylus fairly regularly with Onzow Zerodust (I clean that blob once in a while too)
I was thinking about the tracking force and bought the scale 6 months ago and now it tracks exactly as recommended - 1.75 grams (It was tracking 1.64 g instead of 1.75 before, despite being set between 1.5 and 2). You might be right about the anti-skate part though