groovetracer delrin platter

on level ground
sunderwood
United States of America

groovetracer delrin platter

Post by sunderwood » 14 Sep 2019 13:34

I have been using a Boston mat on my P324 for several years now. I was thinking about going to the groovetracer Delrin platter. Can any of you that own one tell me what you think of the sound with it, specifically clarity and tonal balance. I do like it for its looks.

Lion89
England

Re: groovetracer delrin platter

Post by Lion89 » 16 Sep 2019 21:57

Hi, I run an Acrylic platter which is considered to be a step below Delrin in terms of performance. My experience was an extremely noticeable immediate difference. The biggest difference was the Bass; tighter, clearer and beautifully defined. Delrin is claimed to be the best resonant match for Vinyl, and provides the best detail extraction. It’s subjective though and It took time to adjust to. There are many accounts of people on this forum ( including myself ) who initially found the difference very ‘bright’ when moving to Delrin/Acrylic, especially those who were used to a warmer feel. If you like your sound, probably worth thinking it through. I haven’t heard the Boston Carbon mat, but it has great reviews. For me, though Acrylic has been great.

hope this helps

🦁

james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by james73_2008 » 16 Sep 2019 22:58

sunderwood wrote:
14 Sep 2019 13:34
I have been using a Boston mat on my P324 for several years now. I was thinking about going to the groovetracer Delrin platter. Can any of you that own one tell me what you think of the sound with it, specifically clarity and tonal balance. I do like it for its looks.
What sub-platter do you currently have?

James H

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 17 Sep 2019 15:03

I am using the groovetracer reference subplatter. I bought it pretty close to the same time I bought the Boston mat. As noted by other posters on this site, I think that the subplatter upgrade produced the biggest improvement in sound of the upgrades I have done. I do like the appearance of the Delrin platter better than the boston mat on the glass platter of my Rega turntable. I am not sure I like it $350 worth if the only difference is the appearance. That is why I am mostly interested in sound difference. The Boston mat does give good results. I also have a Funk Firm achromat which to my ears attenuates the highs slightly over what I get with the Boston mat.