help Needed: New Planar 2 Noisy Motors

on level ground
banerjba
long player
long player

help Needed: New Planar 2 Noisy Motors

Post by banerjba » 09 Jun 2019 00:45

After many years of not having a Rega, I decided to add one back into the fleet of tables I own.

My listening room is a tiny main floor bedroom, so I chose a red Planar 2 whose soundstage is tight but small (compared to the P5 TTPSU I owned nearly a decade ago).

This table sounds phenomenal. It is sitting on a light, low welded steel rack.

The first Planar 2 I got yesterday was dead quiet out of the box but after about 3 LPs, it started making an odd chuffing sound. Did not affect playback but a new table should not sound like this. I have a brand new Elipson turntable on the same system and it is dead quiet. I also own Pro-ject tables that are dead quiet (on different systems).

I returned the red Planar 2 to my dealer and exchanged it for a new white one since there were no red ones left. This one is not quiet out of the box. The motor spinning is audible but more of a swishing sound. Again not loud, cannot be heard from the listening chair about 4 feet away but annoying. No impact to sound through the speakers.

So for owners of new series Planar, 1, 2, and 3, how quiet are your tables?

Trio KD1033
England

Re: help Needed: New Planar 2 Noisy Motors

Post by Trio KD1033 » 10 Jun 2019 00:25

There have been a few reports of noisy new Planar motors. Most have been cured by running them over night, or by using them normally for a while. Worth a go.

Good luck!

Andy

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 10 Jun 2019 02:51

Thanks Andy. I am absolutely loving the sound go this table and hopefully the motor settles in - no impact on sound quality fortunately.

dl_hoffman
Canada

Post by dl_hoffman » 11 Jun 2019 03:20

I’ve had my Planar 2 for well over a year and it’s very quiet. I’m sure you’ll get things sorted out.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 12 Jun 2019 03:17

Thanks - it seems to be settling down. Was dead quiet today.

dl_hoffman
Canada

Post by dl_hoffman » 12 Jun 2019 04:39

Good to hear. Terrific table for the money. Looks great too. Enjoy it.

elreza
Great Britain

Post by elreza » 14 Jun 2019 07:38

Had the same problem with a new P1 bought online , fine initially then after playing a couple of lps repetitive motor swishing noise, it never disappeared even after weeks of play, even without a belt on the motor still made the noise, thought these new 24v motors were meant to be better, got rid of it in the end, awful

dl_hoffman
Canada

Post by dl_hoffman » 14 Jun 2019 08:45

elreza, did you get a replacement, or just give up on the Rega because of one bad motor?

elreza
Great Britain

Post by elreza » 14 Jun 2019 08:56

dl_hoffman wrote:
14 Jun 2019 08:45
elreza, did you get a replacement, or just give up on the Rega because of one bad motor?
no, bought online and not from a registered dealer so no option of a replacement motor , and no, not given up on Rega's have had loads of them over the years and still have an old P3/2000 which is totally quiet and still running perfectly, saying that I'll never buy another P1 and probably not a new P2 or P3 either as they all have this same motor

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 15 Jun 2019 02:01

So mine started making noise again. The motor is moving so that is the issue. This second one is going back to the dealer and I am upgrading to a 3 with Elyse. I don't like the Elyse but really like the sound of my Rega table so I am sure the higher model will be even better than this one.

elreza
Great Britain

Post by elreza » 15 Jun 2019 07:34

third time lucky , my fingers are crossed for you

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 16 Jun 2019 03:02

Thanks elreza. Decided just to return it for now as I really don't love the Elyse and the 3 came with it. My dealer, Bay Bloor Radio was awesome about it - been shopping there for 30 years and never returned anything. All three of my systems were built with products I bought from there. But just could not get a good Planar 2 out of the box and this table will be used a lot (but 3-5 hours of playing a day).

I am a huge fan of Rega products and have owned many. Very disappointed the mighty P2 did not work out. Best turntable sonically under $1K. I will own a Rega table again but not right away sadly.