Rega Planar 1 carbon stylus upgrade / LP gear

on level ground
EarlC
New Zealand

Rega Planar 1 carbon stylus upgrade / LP gear

Post by EarlC » 19 May 2019 07:24

(originally posted in another thread didn't realize there was a rega forum :-)
Hi there , I was wanting to replace the standard carbon stylus on my rega 1 I've heard this will fit ? just wanting to confirm if this is true before I send off for it , apparently its a better stylus than the carbon one .. guess Im scared I will be wasting $130 NZD and it wont fit :)
Being a newbie it seems like I just buy this stylus and click it in .. worried Im missing something vital its seems a plug and play kind of upgrade .. the carbon stylus is conical and this ones ecliptical ? Im reading some great reviews about it

https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3600DLXVL.html

Assuming also the tracking force will be the same as the rega 1 is plug and play and cant see how to adjust it ?

yarvelling
England

Re: Rega Planar 1 carbon stylus upgrade / LP gear

Post by yarvelling » 20 May 2019 20:04

Im not so sure that'll be a $130 improvement!
The original stock stylus is really pretty good sounding even though it's 'only' a conical....that Carbon is a good match for the arm on the Rega - I've had one on there for a couple of years now and find that it really does work well. Not sure that an elliptical will offer that much of an improvement in this arm/cartridge combination.
If you like and enjoy the sound of the stock cartridge, then probably best to get a Rega replacement stylus for when it's needed...... ;-)

Electone

Post by Electone » 20 May 2019 23:11

I replaced the stock Carbon stylus with the LP Gear basic elliptical and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I'm tracking it a 2 grams. There are no markings on the Planar 1 arm weight, so you need to purchase a digital scale and move the weight back and forth until you achieve the proper tracking force.

The Blue Panther
Ireland

Post by The Blue Panther » 20 May 2019 23:21

I don't know that particular stylus, but I bought the LP Gear CFN3600 LE stylus for about €40 and put it on my Rega Planar 1 (direct swap for the Carbon stylus ). It's an eliptical and sounded excellent - very warm and (to my ears) has a traditional 70's hifi sound. It certainly was an improvement on the Rega Carbon, and I also prefer it to the Ortofon Red which has a very different almost CD like sound.

EarlC
New Zealand

Post by EarlC » 21 May 2019 07:45

yarvelling wrote:
20 May 2019 20:04
Im not so sure that'll be a $130 improvement!
The original stock stylus is really pretty good sounding even though it's 'only' a conical....that Carbon is a good match for the arm on the Rega - I've had one on there for a couple of years now and find that it really does work well. Not sure that an elliptical will offer that much of an improvement in this arm/cartridge combination.
If you like and enjoy the sound of the stock cartridge, then probably best to get a Rega replacement stylus for when it's needed...... ;-)

EarlC
New Zealand

Post by EarlC » 21 May 2019 07:47

Electone wrote:
20 May 2019 23:11
I replaced the stock Carbon stylus with the LP Gear basic elliptical and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I'm tracking it a 2 grams. There are no markings on the Planar 1 arm weight, so you need to purchase a digital scale and move the weight back and forth until you achieve the proper tracking force.
Thanks Electone ah yes I wondered about that

EarlC
New Zealand

Post by EarlC » 21 May 2019 07:48

The Blue Panther wrote:
20 May 2019 23:21
I don't know that particular stylus, but I bought the LP Gear CFN3600 LE stylus for about €40 and put it on my Rega Planar 1 (direct swap for the Carbon stylus ). It's an eliptical and sounded excellent - very warm and (to my ears) has a traditional 70's hifi sound. It certainly was an improvement on the Rega Carbon, and I also prefer it to the Ortofon Red which has a very different almost CD like sound.
Thanks I will look into that one too , cheers for the reply :-)

Lion89
England

Post by Lion89 » 03 Jun 2019 17:42

I know I am a bit late on this. I run the LP gear said stylus and love it. It basically removes all the ‘rough edges’ of sound that the Carbon suffers from, and there is a notciable positive difference. The Planar 1 is pre-set to 2.5 grams tracking weight, which is also the recommended tracking force by LP gear for their stylus. As others have said, you can get a digital scale on Amazon for less than £10. Then you can move the weight fractionally back to achieve 2 grams. It sounds excellent.

Enjoy