How to replace the RCA cable on a Rega RP1?

on level ground
shatteredmindofbob
Canada

How to replace the RCA cable on a Rega RP1?

Post by shatteredmindofbob » 11 Jan 2019 12:54

So, I've got a short in the RCA cable on my RP1 and after determining that the short isn't in the plug, I can only assume it's at the connection point.

The problem is, I don't know where the connection point is or how to access it. I've tried searching for the answer but have yet to find a clear explanation. I'm guessing it's under that PCB-looking circle, how does one get under there? My best guess would be that it's possible to access the ends of the RCA cables by VERY CAREFULLY desoldering the tonearm wires and the RCA cables should be under those big blobs of solder?

Any Help here would be much appreciated. Thanks.

shatteredmindofbob
Canada

Re: How to replace the RCA cable on a Rega RP1?

Post by shatteredmindofbob » 12 Jan 2019 09:39

Ok, so after consuming a bit of liquid courage (which also helped to keep my hands from shaking), I managed to desolder the tonearm wires. Only thing that went wrong was melting the insulation on the white wire. Fortunately, my continuity tester connected to the cartridge clip tells me it's still good.

My question is, now what? From what I can tell, there's no way to get the built-in RCA cable out of the plastic plug. I guess this is why the few guides I've found on completely re-wiring the tonearm (which I'm trying to avoid doing) mention drilling the plug.

It seems like I could just attach the new RCA cable to the now dangling tonearm wires, but then I have no ground (at least, I'm assuming that copper circle on the greenish-white disc was the ground).

Again, any advice would be appreciated.

DeepEnd
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by DeepEnd » 12 Jan 2019 18:04

It is possible to get Rega replacement cables with the arm plug/pcb already fitted and you would just resolder the existing wires to this but if you wanted a separate earth wire buy one with the internal cables and join them wire to wire near the plug if you didn't want to rewire the whole arm. I know these are the UK site but give you a clue what you might be looking for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Externa ... ctupt=true

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISOkinetik-I ... rk:15:pf:0

shatteredmindofbob
Canada

Post by shatteredmindofbob » 13 Jan 2019 07:27

Yeah, aside from being the UK, I think that's a little more than I'm willing to spend, despite being perfect.

Looking at it and thinking about it further, I could attach the tonearm wires to the new RCA with heat-shrink tubing, but then what do I do with the ground wire? Does it still need to cross the blue wire (I also just noticed, inspecting it again, that those two got fused together while desoldering...oops).

shatteredmindofbob
Canada

Post by shatteredmindofbob » 14 Jan 2019 02:33

Some more thoughts on next steps...could I not just leave the ground wire connected to the blue wire as it was originally?

DeepEnd
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by DeepEnd » 15 Jan 2019 11:31

Yes, all Rega arms/decks have the arm ground (Black) connected to the left signal return (Blue) even on my RP8. There is a drawing showing this half way down the page:-

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/regafacts.html

This style of earthing was common practice during the 70’s and 80’s and many decks don’t have a separate ground wire (which is why many older amplifiers don’t have a “ground” post and why many cartridges have a metal link from the body to one of the pins on the rear.

Having a separate ground wire has become more popular since then. The mixture of methods can also lead to hum issues but if you didn’t have a problem before then should not be an issue.

shatteredmindofbob
Canada

Post by shatteredmindofbob » 15 Jan 2019 14:18

Thank you! My confusion comes from the earth strip in that diagram. I'm not sure how to make that kind of connection without using that tiny circular PCB-type thing, since again, the idea is to seal the wires in shrink tubing.

I'm also not sure if there was a hum problem before or not. The short was in the left (blue wire) side. Or would I be hearing the hum through both speakers if there was a grounding issue?

DeepEnd
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by DeepEnd » 15 Jan 2019 14:35

If you had an earth loop you would tend to get it in both channels.

The black wire is the ground for the armtube and the flat strip is to ground the arm base as you cannot guarantee a connection through the arm bearings. On most arms this is just trapped against the tube the plug fits into.

shatteredmindofbob
Canada

Post by shatteredmindofbob » 16 Jan 2019 03:14

Oooh. And on an RP1, the ground strip is effectively useless, since the base of the arm tube is plastic... so it should be fine as is. Again, thank you very much!