Bit concerned with my new rega planar 1

on level ground
Jay the ceramist
Great Britain

Bit concerned with my new rega planar 1

Post by Jay the ceramist » 11 Oct 2018 12:57

Hello all,

My first post as at the age of 37 I've purchased my first turntable.

After a fair bit of research I plumped for the Rega planar 1 in white. I've had it 4 days and put it on this morning and there is quite a distinct, constant 'wah wah wah' sound emitting from underneath the table...

So I've read remove the lid etc but it's still there.... it's a brand new table so is this the motor breaking in or a problem? I'm unsure whether to ring the supplier...

Any Help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jay

Jay the ceramist
Great Britain

Re: Bit concerned with my new rega planar 1

Post by Jay the ceramist » 11 Oct 2018 17:13

Update: I read somewhere else that the motor needs to bed in and to run the turntable continuous for 48 hours! Well I've been running it all afternoon and the motor wah wah sound has gone. I'm happy and happier than ever with this turntable.

Fire99
Canada

Post by Fire99 » 11 Oct 2018 17:52

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great turntable! Enjoy!

Jay the ceramist
Great Britain

Post by Jay the ceramist » 11 Oct 2018 17:56

Thanks, I'm glad I done my homework as I nearly purchased a turntable from my local hmv!

giblets46

Post by giblets46 » 11 Oct 2018 21:44

Jay the ceramist wrote:Thanks, I'm glad I done my homework as I nearly purchased a turntable from my local hmv!
Yeh, 'head records' in leamington spa re-opened over the early summer with images of the '1' on their website, having been in there, it's all crossley types bar one technica clone (a dual maybe?!)

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 11 Oct 2018 22:25

Nice one Jay! My RP6 is a white model too!

They look real 'classy' in white don't they!

MetalT75

Post by MetalT75 » 12 Oct 2018 11:31

Jay the ceramist wrote:
11 Oct 2018 12:57
I've had it 4 days and put it on this morning and there is quite a distinct, constant 'wah wah wah' sound emitting from underneath the table...
I had the same sound with my Planar 6 but it had nothing to do with running in the motor. I had a wobbling motor pulley which caused the same noise that could be heard 2 meters away. It got quieter after a few days (running in) but never went away. The motor was changed and the noise was completely gone and also the pulley wobbling.

Just in case, check the motor pulley if it rotates straight or is it wobbling. If it's wobbling, change the whole TT or motor. There's a thread here in Rega section created a while back, sometime last spring.

Jay the ceramist
Great Britain

Post by Jay the ceramist » 13 Oct 2018 10:39

Thanks, I'm hoping it was just breaking in as it hasn't returned but I appreciate the advice. If it comes back I will get it sent back.

Other than this slight issue I'm really happy with it and will stick with Rega as the build quality 'feels great. And working in Westcliff on Sea in another life I'm pleased to support a local-british manufacturing company.

Saturday morning is now 'record shopping' ritual.

MetalT75

Post by MetalT75 » 13 Oct 2018 12:20

My new motor also made that sound fresh but it went away after a couple of minutes. The old motor with wobbling pulley never got quiet but kept on ”whapping”. So, I think you’re all good with that TT and have nothing to worry about.

I just returned from a record store so it was a record store Saturday for me too.

Jay the ceramist
Great Britain

Post by Jay the ceramist » 13 Oct 2018 16:21

Pikey wrote:
11 Oct 2018 22:25
Nice one Jay! My RP6 is a white model too!

They look real 'classy' in white don't they!
Absolutely! It's a really simple design and in white I think it looks great in my room. Next time I would get the planar 3 in red possibly though....

Jay the ceramist
Great Britain

Post by Jay the ceramist » 13 Oct 2018 20:51

giblets46 wrote:
11 Oct 2018 21:44
Jay the ceramist wrote:Thanks, I'm glad I done my homework as I nearly purchased a turntable from my local hmv!
Yeh, 'head records' in leamington spa re-opened over the early summer with images of the '1' on their website, having been in there, it's all crossley types bar one technica clone (a dual maybe?!)
This is why I done my homework... apparently some of these turntables will, over time, destroy the vinyl!

Sod that, these things are an investment and not cheap. I mean I've paid around thirty pounds for some of these and to be honest, from what I read, and have noew experienced, the rega won't destroy the vinyl, but also, and more importantly, resonate a beautiful tone. I think they sound rich and warm. I would point anyone who is curious of getting into vinyl to start there foray with a rega turntable. I have no regrets of shelling out £249.99 of my 'slaved for' queens pound notes!

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 14 Oct 2018 10:32

Welcome to VE and Rega ownership.

Jay the ceramist
Great Britain

Post by Jay the ceramist » 14 Oct 2018 11:35

andybeau wrote:
14 Oct 2018 10:32
Welcome to VE and Rega ownership.
Thanks for the welcome, very useful board

Peterhos
Great Britain

Post by Peterhos » 29 Oct 2018 20:03

Hi All Regarding hum from a Rega Planar, I found it was caused by the small turning spindle under the platter that activates the pulley. My tt is only an hour old and I have oiled that spindle. Sounding better now. Fingers crossed or I am back to the shop tomorrow. Hope this helps.

giblets46

Post by giblets46 » 13 Nov 2018 09:47

giblets46 wrote:
11 Oct 2018 21:44
I take it back, went past the other day and had a p1 in the window