the home of the turntable

American Planar 3 in Eurasia

on level ground

American Planar 3 in Eurasia

Postby akatosh86 » 16 Aug 2018 04:45

Hello everyone,a complete newbie here
Recently, I've ordered a 2016 Planar 3 from an american retailer and it arrived couple of days ago. I happen to live in Georgia (the country, not the US state)
Being ignorant in all things electronic and especially the usual voltage/frequency differences, I happily plugged my coveted turntable into a 220v socket and, as you can imagine, it didn't last long
Now, the electrician has my PS2 unit and tells me he'll fix and rewire the wall wart for 220v. he also tells me that hopefully, it's only the adapter that got fried up and not the tt motor. at least, it didn't smell and there was no smoke other than the tt just not working after couple of seconds from turning on

so, couple of questions and I'd appreciate if you Help me:
1) what shall I do with the America spec turntable to make it run on 220v/50hz? Do I need a TTPSU? Will a re-wired 220v input adapter suffice? or a new pulley?
2) when the technician dude re-wires the adapter from 110v to 220v, shall I risk plugging it in?
3) In case of the worst case scenario: the complete destruction of this deck - what shall be my modus operandi? a motor upgrade kit?

what makes things worse is that there are no certified rega technicians in this country and an unsanctioned 'autopsy' of the deck will invalidate it's lifetime warranty or whatever benefits there are, but I guess it doesn't matter if your deck is dead already and when you live in a country too far away to effectively benefit from any benefits (forgive the tautology)

anyway, tips appreciated
akatosh86

Georgia

Re: American Planar 3 in Eurasia

Postby dimucci » 16 Aug 2018 11:19

Perhaps your best bet would be to contact Rega UK direct:
service@rega.co.uk ?
dimucci

Wales

Postby Phono-lover » 16 Aug 2018 18:36

You may need to replace the motor so this may be of interest.
Last week I bought a 24v replacement motor for my Rega turntable, The motor has 50hz on it. I haven't installed for the reason you stated, it is glued in and if it is the wrong motor I don't want to proceed. I would rather return it.

I just sent an email to the seller asking "how is the frequency difference compensated for" There are no 60hz pulleys on Rega's website. They do not have 60hz motors. All the photos on-line of Regas 24v motor show 50hz on the labels.

I hope they reply with an answer I can share. The seller is in UK so I hope when they charged me for international shipping they sent the motor for a 60hz country.
Phono-lover

Postby Phono-lover » 17 Aug 2018 15:42

Here is the answer to my question. Looks like I got a 50hz motor. They did not tell me I would not be able to use the motor they sent.

"Being a UK seller we are only able to supply these to UK spec, you will need a 60Hz pulley which you will be able to get from a Rega dealer in your country."
Phono-lover

Postby akatosh86 » 17 Aug 2018 17:55

Phono-lover wrote:Here is the answer to my question. Looks like I got a 50hz motor. They did not tell me I would not be able to use the motor they sent.

"Being a UK seller we are only able to supply these to UK spec, you will need a 60Hz pulley which you will be able to get from a Rega dealer in your country."

maybe you should contact some individual US sellers, who specialize in 60Hz pulleys. There must be something somewhere

However, it's changing the pulley part that freaks me out. I don't want to accidentally trash the motor or something and I have yet to find a technician who is skilled to do that. There's not even a youtube video explaining how to properly remove, attach and adjust a new pulley to the 2016 Planar models, it's height (which is important) etc.

So, the good news is that my table is not dead and burned and, technically, it works properly. The bad news is that I have yet to come up with the optimal way of adjusting proper frequency: either the Neo TTPSU, or a pulley. In fact, I'm more inclined to spend more in NeoTTPSU, but I'm not sure whether it will make a 60hz table play records on 50hz, though...
akatosh86

Georgia

Postby JaS » 17 Aug 2018 19:52

akatosh86 wrote:However, it's changing the pulley part that freaks me out. I don't want to accidentally trash the motor or something and I have yet to find a technician who is skilled to do that. There's not even a youtube video explaining how to properly remove, attach and adjust a new pulley to the 2016 Planar models, it's height (which is important) etc.

A model car/aeroplane shop may be able to do it for you? Otherwise a puller tool with the right size pin for the shaft is simple to use, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walkera-Pinion ... B01AJ2HVWS

Or you could make one...

https://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap- ... ar-Puller/

As for the height, the trick is to measure the height of the old one before removing it from the motor :)
JaS
engine room
engine room

England

Postby akatosh86 » 17 Aug 2018 20:22

JaS wrote:
akatosh86 wrote:However, it's changing the pulley part that freaks me out. I don't want to accidentally trash the motor or something and I have yet to find a technician who is skilled to do that. There's not even a youtube video explaining how to properly remove, attach and adjust a new pulley to the 2016 Planar models, it's height (which is important) etc.

A model car/aeroplane shop may be able to do it for you? Otherwise a puller tool with the right size pin for the shaft is simple to use, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walkera-Pinion ... B01AJ2HVWS

Or you could make one...

https://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap- ... ar-Puller/

As for the height, the trick is to measure the height of the old one before removing it from the motor :)

thanks for the tips
yes, that is a sensible and practical way

What can you say about the NeoPSU, though? If I, for instance, get a 220-230v PS1 adapter (I think that's the only one it accepts) and plug it in - will it stabilize the frequency for the motor?
akatosh86

Georgia

Postby JaS » 18 Aug 2018 08:00

akatosh86 wrote:What can you say about the NeoPSU, though? If I, for instance, get a 220-230v PS1 adapter (I think that's the only one it accepts) and plug it in - will it stabilize the frequency for the motor?

Probably not. Rega sell different versions of that PSU for different voltages/frequencies. As the motors in different regions come with different pulleys the PSU will need adjusting for the pulley fitted in that region. Knowing Rega, this is most likely done at the factory. Really you need a new motor and/or pulley for your region.

http://www.rega.co.uk/neo-turntable-psu.html
JaS
engine room
engine room

England

Postby akatosh86 » 18 Aug 2018 09:38

JaS wrote:
akatosh86 wrote:What can you say about the NeoPSU, though? If I, for instance, get a 220-230v PS1 adapter (I think that's the only one it accepts) and plug it in - will it stabilize the frequency for the motor?

Probably not. Rega sell different versions of that PSU for different voltages/frequencies. As the motors in different regions come with different pulleys the PSU will need adjusting for the pulley fitted in that region. Knowing Rega, this is most likely done at the factory. Really you need a new motor and/or pulley for your region.

http://www.rega.co.uk/neo-turntable-psu.html

alright, thanks

which one would you suggest: just replacing the pulley (which I have already ordered) or ordering the brand new 24v motor kit? I mean, I already have a fresh 24v motor and it seems counterintuitive to replace it all, but some people insist that just changing the pulley won't get the best results from this deck

I also haven't really found much information about the 2016 Planar 3's inner structure and peculiarities of motor replacement on this specific deck
akatosh86

Georgia

Postby JaS » 18 Aug 2018 11:58

akatosh86 wrote:which one would you suggest: just replacing the pulley (which I have already ordered) or ordering the brand new 24v motor kit? I mean, I already have a fresh 24v motor and it seems counterintuitive to replace it all, but some people insist that just changing the pulley won't get the best results from this deck

The motor is the same; you just need a pulley and someone competent to swap them over. Oh, and a new sticky pad to stick the motor back in the deck once the new pulley has been fitted.
JaS
engine room
engine room

England

Postby akatosh86 » 18 Aug 2018 16:54

JaS wrote:
akatosh86 wrote:which one would you suggest: just replacing the pulley (which I have already ordered) or ordering the brand new 24v motor kit? I mean, I already have a fresh 24v motor and it seems counterintuitive to replace it all, but some people insist that just changing the pulley won't get the best results from this deck

The motor is the same; you just need a pulley and someone competent to swap them over. Oh, and a new sticky pad to stick the motor back in the deck once the new pulley has been fitted.

I read somewhere it's possible to replace the pulley without flipping over the deck / dissecting the plinth i.e. just taking it out and gluing on the new one. There are tales of acetone, absorbing-protective tissue (not to drip into the motor) and superglue to attach the new pulley
akatosh86

Georgia

Postby james73_2008 » 20 Aug 2018 18:47

akatosh86 wrote:and superglue to attach the new pulley

You could go for a 3rd-party pulley that won't need glued on. Gus (Tangospinner) does various models both 50 and 60Hz, As does Michael Lim - the Lim models have a grub screw to tighten the pulley to the motor spindle.

James H
james73_2008
long player
long player
contributor

Scotland

Postby akatosh86 » 22 Aug 2018 17:48

thanks for the insight, everyone

one more thing, though: what are the drawbacks of pulley removal right on the plinth? that is, without removing the motor. There is enough space between the hole and the base of that pulley to fit a pulley puller and tissue to protect the motor from acetone/glue.

I will certainly have one of those Lim pulleys in the near future, but right now a 50hz default rega pulley is already on the way, so I'm going to fix that one for now. What kind of glue would you recommend and how long shall I wait before it firmly attaches to the motor spindle?
akatosh86

Georgia

Return to Rega