RB330 Cartridge Options

on level ground
coco44

RB330 Cartridge Options

Post by coco44 » 10 Jun 2018 22:47

I have a planar 3 (2016) with RB330 and elys II. I was wondering what cartridges would be plug and play with this arm?

Or alternatively, what carts should I be looking at with the addition of shims? Is that a hard or tedious process to mount?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: RB330 Cartridge Options

Post by Alec124c41 » 11 Jun 2018 03:17

Mounting a new cartridge is not difficult, and shims are dead easy.
What is your budget for a new cartridge?

Cheers,
Alec

coco44

Post by coco44 » 11 Jun 2018 17:16

Im thinking about 500... maybe sell the elys II to recoup some of that.

I noticed a very slight but present hum with the Elys II when the volume is turned up past comfortable... not noticeable with music but rather when sitting idle. Whether the cartridge is the cause or maybe the wall wart I do not know... I do know my system is properly grounded. I also can make it more or less evident by different positioning of the turntable so maybe I am experiencing noise from my surrounding. Its minor but I cant deny its there.

but I digress...

I was thinking of a dynavector 10x5 which is MC which might take care of that annoyance.

I wanted to get an idea of what others are using and which seem to be a good fit for the arm/tt. I like the idea of not using a protractor then I dont have to second guess my installation as I have done in the past when setting up cartridges.

The Elys II sounds ok, do you think "upgrading" to a 500/600 cartridge would be a lateral move?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 12 Jun 2018 04:33

The Dynavector 10x5 sounds excellent on a Rega arm.
Using a protractor is not hard, either.

Cheers,
Alec

DeepEnd
Great Britain

Post by DeepEnd » 12 Jun 2018 12:50

coco44 wrote: The Elys II sounds ok, do you think "upgrading" to a 500/600 cartridge would be a lateral move?
I think your comment on the Elys is spot on yes it's not bad and "sounds OK" in most systems but there are more capable cartridges between the £125 of the Elys and £500-£600 level that are anything other than a lateral move.

The Dynavector 10x5 is a good cartridge and I don't know of many that are disappointed with them but at slightly lower cost there are some other very good cartridges things like:-

The only "Plug and play" solution the Rega Exact (£269) is a big step up from the Elys and dead easy to fit.
At a similar price level to the Exact then perhaps another HO MC the Denon DL-110 (£219) which is full of excitement missing from the Elys will need to use a protractor (not difficult - bit frustrating sometimes) this may need shims (again not difficult to fit). Audio Technica VM-540ML (£235) is probably one of the most detailed cartridges around.
Above this price level perhaps the Goldring G1042 (£325) is a cartridge that has lots and lots of followers because of it's performance and has one of the most sophisticated stylus around (would definitely need shims) and compared to the 2M Black (£495) or Nagaoka MP-500 (£600+) seems a real bargain. Nagaoka MP-150 (£355) would be another MM/MI contender in this price band.
Another HO MC at this price level Hana EH (£389) has a growing reputation too.

As you can see lots of options really :D :D :D

brave

Post by brave » 13 Jun 2018 18:13

Great post DeepEnd!

MetalT75

Post by MetalT75 » 15 Jun 2018 10:29

Nagaokas have had great reviews. I'm going to get one my self, most likely MP-150. I'm also planning to get MP-110 just to test (because it's cheap) if it's as good as the reviews say.

ditkadog

Post by ditkadog » 09 Aug 2018 07:59

I second the Hana. I recently bought one to replace the Rega Exact, a cartridge that was "okay" but never really grabbed me. After suffering it for the last three years I traded it on a Hana SL- LOMC. What a difference! Hana also makes cartridges in your price range. My local Rega dealer has never really sold me wrong, and they were spot on in this case as well. With the Tangospinner Troilo and the Hana cartridge I feel as if my RP-6 plays as if it cost twice what I paid for it.

Lemesee

Post by Lemesee » 06 Sep 2018 21:56

No cartridge except p mounts are plug and play. All need certain things done to remove, mount, align and guage, without damaging something. Even seasoned veterans have had their moments. If you haven't done it, it would suit to have a dealer, analog friend/relative, or maybe a nearby forum member to Help you to learn. If you have done it and feel confident of achieving optimum results disregard. Also want to consider mass and compliance.
The 1042 is somewhat difficult to mount given the wriggle room between the plate and body with headshell hardware. I thought the 2M black was a bit too forensic with vinyl imperfections. Outside of Regas own cartridges, the easiest to mount are ones with threaded bodies. Some of those mentioned I've used.....Exact, Dynavector and Roskan (not mentioned), you wouldnt go far wrong with any, all have their virtues. Spacers arent super hard to install but you have to remove the arm lead, arm, and cartridge before fitting spacer.
Last edited by Lemesee on 06 Sep 2018 22:53, edited 2 times in total.

Lemesee

Post by Lemesee » 06 Sep 2018 22:10

coco44 wrote:Im thinking about 500... maybe sell the elys II to recoup some of that.

I noticed a very slight but present hum with the Elys II when the volume is turned up past comfortable... not noticeable with music but rather when sitting idle. Whether the cartridge is the cause or maybe the wall wart I do not know... I do know my system is properly grounded. I also can make it more or less evident by different positioning of the turntable so maybe I am experiencing noise from my surrounding. Its minor but I cant deny its there.

but I digress...

I was thinking of a dynavector 10x5 which is MC which might take care of that annoyance.

I wanted to get an idea of what others are using and which seem to be a good fit for the arm/tt. I like the idea of not using a protractor then I dont have to second guess my installation as I have done in the past when setting up cartridges.

The Elys II sounds ok, do you think "upgrading" to a 500/600 cartridge would be a lateral move?
Grado and Rega hum on AC motor tables due to no shielding. Grounding can Help but not eliminate.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 07 Sep 2018 09:14

If you have a MC phono stage the Rega Ania is £499 and plug and play, I enjoyed a Ortofon Quintet Blue on my old P3-24. Plenty of options as has already been noted.

DT999

Post by DT999 » 07 Sep 2018 09:31

I can only comment on the 2 cartridges I have tried on my P3 and I don't have any kind of experience with other cartridges as a comparison, so these are only my views.
First is the Denon DL-110. As others have already suggested this is a great cartridge on the Rega arm, sounded good and I had no problem mounting it using the alignment tools from this forum. I did shim it but it's only 3 screws and a shim from Isokinetic has a gap so it can be slid between the plinth and arm without the need to remove the arm and feed wires, so very easy. Just don't over tighten the screws.
I replaced the Denon with an Ortofon 2M Bronze and only did so because it was the cartridge that was mounted to a P3 at an audio store when I auditioned a number of new amps and I really liked it. The store set up the listening room using all the same gear I have and the only difference was the cartridge. Some reviews suggest the 2M a bit bright and I did have some slight distortion initially but on checking my alignment it wasn't right, if set up properly I don't find it bright.
To me the 2M Bronze was just a bit more revealing than the Denon with more separation between instruments and it dealt with more dynamic music better especially a percussion and base guitar (I took my own albums to the audition so knew them well).
I still really like the Denon but now use that on my vintage Thorens as I think it is a bit warmer and mellow.