Rega Planar 6 plinth sagging

on level ground
MetalT75

Rega Planar 6 plinth sagging

Post by MetalT75 » 29 Mar 2018 13:33

I noticed today that the plinth of my new Planar 6 is sagging from the middle of the longer sides. I noticed it when the dust cover was closed. The dust cover front edge is touching the plinth from the corners but there is a 3 mm gap in the middle. I checked the dust cover front edge and it's straight but the plinth definitely is not. It's sagging also from the back not only from front. The short sides are straight.

I can see it just by looking also when the dust cover is up. I also measured the distance between the table and plinth and it's definitely sagging that 3 mm. It can also be seen from the TT feet. They're leaning slightly inwards. I thought these plinths should be straight and rigid/stiff, not like a springboard. Every photo I've found from the web show no sign of sagging.

The platter however is level in all directions (with ~1 mm thick piece of cardboard under the right front foot) and doesn't wobble. The plinth on the other hand seems to be somewhat crooked in every direction when I measure it with a bubble gauge depending where I put it. Levelling the plinth, I believe, is not important but levelling the platter is and it's as level as I can get it.

What do you guys think? Is this normal with plinth not being 100% straight as an arrow or a defect that should be fixed? I don't know how much does it affect to azimuth if the tonearm is also leaning to the left. I've got no means to measure it otherwise but only from the cartidge end with a tape measure which is not that accurate. So far it's only aesthetic thing but what if it gets worse? Do I need to worry?

Maybe I'm getting a little paranoid or too sensitive because of defective Exact cartridge at first and having to battle with it for 2 weeks before getting a new one, then noticing "The Rega motor hum" which also took 2 weeks to get an answer from Rega thet it's normal and now this. By now, I think the dealer will already consider me as a "difficult customer" complaining about everything but I don't want a TT with quality issues or manufacturing defects of any kind.

Drewan77
England

Re: Rega Planar 6 plinth sagging

Post by Drewan77 » 29 Mar 2018 16:01

Sounds like a faulty plinth that definitely needs replacing. I agree with your concern about the tonearm because both this & the platter need to be in absolute alignment & clearly the supporting plinth is not.

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 29 Mar 2018 16:19

If it is still under warranty you could return it. It should never have left the factory like that. It is good that you have the platter level which is the main thing, but that still does not excuse the plinth being bowed. It is inexcusable that you would pay good money for a turntable and then have to find out that it has this problem. You could call the Rega distributor and talk to them about it. You can find the number on the rega website. If it is out of warranty you could attach some steel bracing across the bowed side with nuts and bolts on the underside so it doesn't change the appearance much. You might find some metal straps the width and thickness you need at someplace like Lowes. The other things you mentioned and this are legitimate concerns. If I were the dealer I would take it back and get you another turntable. Over here in the United states the planar 6 costs about $2000. That is not cheap. If this dealer, on the other hand, does not want to work with you then I don't think I would go in that store again. Good luck.
Last edited by sunderwood on 29 Mar 2018 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

MetalT75

Post by MetalT75 » 29 Mar 2018 16:22

It’s under warranty so I’ll contact the dealer. I’ll post a couple of photos later.

MetalT75

Post by MetalT75 » 29 Mar 2018 18:12

This is how it looks like.
Attachments
EE422089-C0C1-4E6E-AF22-81EB7B9C1266.jpeg
(47.2 KiB) Downloaded 1564 times
751135D9-2A6A-4C46-8200-657A707AFF22.jpeg
(45.07 KiB) Downloaded 1513 times
BDFB6F39-773B-478F-9813-9D56CFCF0F0A.jpeg
(45.21 KiB) Downloaded 1501 times

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 29 Mar 2018 21:19

Structural integrity of design appears suspect. A real concern potentially for Rega wrt to their warranty costs. First come first served.

kb007
broken record

Post by kb007 » 30 Mar 2018 12:27

Yeah, that does not look right. Since it's under warranty, they had better fix it for you. Is this the same table that you bought recently that had the problem with the cart? If it is, I'd be screaming at them saying they need to send me an RP8 as compensation for all the time you've wasted as their QC inspector!

MetalT75

Post by MetalT75 » 30 Mar 2018 16:49

Yep, it's the same TT. And yes, I'll ask for some compensation because this is ridicilous already. Being a beta tester was not what I had in mind when buying this TT. Definitely below par QC from a company that claims to carry the highest standards.

It's funny that you mentioned me being a QC inspector. I guess Rega must know somehow that I've done that in my previous job. Of course the equipment were not TTs but industrial machines worth millions of Euros but anyway. :D Maybe they'll offer me a job. I'm going to work in England next year for some weeks so there's their chance.

gullkeoby
Croatia

Post by gullkeoby » 30 Mar 2018 18:14

"Fantastic" quality control of Rega...same like Rover car company from 1970.I have hopes that this improve but it look it become worst than before...when i buy mine i was hope that everything will be OK with my new (and expensive) tt but no...sub-platter is going like a kids bicycle wheel...then i notice that arm is not parallel with plinth...from time to time i hear a loud "crack" from speakers when i turn of tt power supply...
They have a good sounding turntables but they should really improve quality control...(and that is probably reason why they don't have a "contact" on their shiny website...it will be filled with complains...)
MetalT75 i hope they will hire you...

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 30 Mar 2018 22:43

In my experience this 'sagging' is nothing new, I can recall replacing the plinths on Rega decks (Planar 2) at least 15 years ago. I found that the original plinth, (from around 1980) with the hardwood surround, was the most stable of the ones that I've owned.

Alan

clipperjay

Post by clipperjay » 31 Mar 2018 00:43

Would you say that the ply Rega use is susceptible to damp environments and causing the expansion and warping of the plinth?
How does the Planar 1&2 fair with gloss coatings?

MetalT75

Post by MetalT75 » 31 Mar 2018 06:34

The plinth of Planar 6 should be some kind of foam used in aerospace industry. I don’t know if that material should bend in damp environments. If it’ll behave like that Rega should take a look at their storage environment. Most important thing should be that they would actually check the components when they’re assembling these decks. If these things start to bend after they’re laminated and assembled that’s a much bigger problem. Then the material selection has gone wrong and is not suitable for its’ purpose. That would mean masses of no good plinths.

They also claim that they’ll test all their cartridges. So how is it possible to have a faulty one right from the start like I did. A simple answer: they do not test all of them.

I’ll give Rega one more shot to provide me a TT in perfect condition and to make it quick. If it’s not then I’ll choose another brand. The dealer should be able to provide me a new one during the next week if they’ll act quickly. I’m not waiting 2 weeks this time.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 31 Mar 2018 12:56

Rega are still a very caring company in my experiences over forty odd years now and always put the customer's needs first. Hopefully you have a good dealer in Finland who will get the plinth or even the entire deck replaced for you.

Did this issue develop over time or was it delivered to you like this? If your dealer is ansty about it, I'll have a work with the UK sales manager on your behalf and see if he can do something for you from the UK end.

In my time as a dealer up until 2004, I don't recall plinth warping to be an issue at all, although I'm sure it may have happened. ANY issues we did have though, were always attended to quietly and quickly and often for free and even when I broke a couple of RB arm bias/rest 'cradles' due to over zealous leverage when tightening the original fixing nut underneath, they merely supplied a replacement for very little money.

Good luck and hope you get a permanent fix for this.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Rega cartridge reliability

Post by DSJR » 31 Mar 2018 13:07

Re testing cartridges - I've seen them being made and at the time, the internal differences between the Bias, Elys and Exact for example. They're ALL hand made and every one used to be tested before packing. The Elys and Exact had more tweaking done too, to improve channel balance and separation.

Rega buy in the cantilever/magnet sets (I think the magnets from one place and cantilevers from somewhere else and they were joined by a third party, but it's a long time ago and memories go off). I saw little pots with completed styli/magnet assemblies. The suspension is where it can all go awry and here is where the main reliability issues happen I think. the tiny rubbery grommet is placed around the cantilever and this is then eased into the body with fine tweezers and so on (I can't remember the grommet being placed first and the cantilever slid in). The assembly is next tweaked into a proper alignment, the pole pieces adjusted internally to fine tune the channel balance and separation and in the past if not now, a shadow-graph was used to get the diamond in the correct azimuth and back-forth position. After an hour or three, the entire assembly sort of 'sets' in position for life and can't reliably be adjusted after this they told me. All the failed Exacts that friends have encountered have been with the suspension for some reason and I thought Rega were or had dealt with this. The fact I rather dislike their MM cartridges is nothing to do with the assembly quality, but more to do with the thick toned, soggy sonics they deliver in my opinion.

Pandrew105

Post by Pandrew105 » 31 Mar 2018 17:06

I wouldn't be happy with that problem. I too have had some Rega TT QC issues in the past (now happily sorted, I'm pleased to say) - they should never let substandard product leave the factory. Let them sort it under warranty. All the best!