the home of the turntable

Rega Planar 3 Motor Upgrade Kit with SRM Silent Base

on level ground

Rega Planar 3 Motor Upgrade Kit with SRM Silent Base

Postby capelyddol » 11 Feb 2018 22:06

I'm considering upgrading my early 90's RP3 with the new 24v motor kit, but I have the SRM Silent Base and wonder if a)the new kit will fit and work with it, and b)whether it's really a worthwhile upgrade given that my present motor is decoupled from the main plinth via the SRM and seems absolutely silent when running.
capelyddol

France

Re: Rega Planar 3 Motor Upgrade Kit with SRM Silent Base

Postby zacster » 11 Feb 2018 23:57

Its funny you write this, I was just going to comment on how much my original motor vibrates, but is still silent on my own DIY base version. So my answer to you would be not to spend the money.

I had to move my TT a few weeks ago, to tighten the tonearm which had somehow loosened against the plinth, and I always have to tweak the motor position multiple times to get it just right. I was using a wood ruler and when I touched it I could just feel the vibration. I also remember how black the background became after I dropped the motor from the plinth.
zacster

United States of America

Postby Drewan77 » 12 Feb 2018 08:23

Capelyddol - I did exactly that, swapping the original motor in my '80s Planar 3 with Silent Base for the 24v one a few years ago. It was to use a TT-PSU for speed stability reasons only & made no difference to the already excellent motor isolation. The motor fits easily.
Drewan77

United Kingdom

Postby capelyddol » 12 Feb 2018 19:21

Hi Zacster
I followed your DIY silent base project with interest. A lot of great ingenuity there. The effect of isolating the motor from the plinth is really quite staggering. I doubted the 24v motor upgrade would make much difference, but I see it as a necessary outlay before moving to stage 2, which is of course the TT-PSU upgrade.
Andrew (thanks for your input) you've done both so I'm wondering whether the combination is really worth the not unsubstantial outlay, or whether I should consider a suitable PSU for the present 110v motor. Ah, but if so, which one? I fear I may be starting that perilous walk into the upgrade minefield again!
capelyddol

France

Postby zacster » 13 Feb 2018 02:56

I have the Music Hall Cruise Control 2 as my PSU. It costs less than the Rega version and needs a 110v motor. It also requires a dual 45 pulley to allow push button speed changes. It WILL work with a 33.3 pulley but then only at 33 1/3 rpm when set to 45. I'm not sure about a 50hz version though.

I went this way because I couldn't see spending the money on the motor and the PSU. It was going to cost a lot of money. I've been happy with the results.
zacster

United States of America

Postby Drewan77 » 13 Feb 2018 08:52

There was a different reason I changed the motor to 24v - I already had another Rega turntable (avatar pic) with a TT-PSU & built a switch box so I could use either turntable with it without plugging/unplugging.

One TT-PSU, two Regas meant that my old Planar 3 changed speed with the TT-PSU rather than by moving the belt & the combined cost of the bits to build the switch box + 24v motor were a lot less than another power supply!
Drewan77

United Kingdom

Postby capelyddol » 14 Feb 2018 13:37

The Music Hall Cruise Control 2 would definitely have been the way to go, but I've been in touch with them and they don't do a European version. :( I could probably convert the TT to run on 110v (the motor already does!) as a couple of my Linn LK140 amps I brought from the US are 110v and powered via a very large (and expensive!) step-down transformer in the basement, but it still leaves the apparently insurmountable problem of the frequency difference (60Hz - 50Hz). #-o The Heed Audio Orbit 2 is an obvious alternative, but at over 400 euros ($500) it would probably be more cost effective to take the Rega motor upgrade/TT PSU option.
Has anyone any better suggestions? [-o<

Andrew - ah, but was the overall upgrade audibly worthwhile :?:
capelyddol

France

Postby Alec124c41 » 14 Feb 2018 15:24

The 50/60 cycle speed problem can be solved with a change of pulley.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby Drewan77 » 15 Feb 2018 08:36

capelyddol wrote:Andrew - ah, but was the overall upgrade audibly worthwhile :?:
Yes - speed stability improved via the TT-PSU but just changing the motor from 110v to 24v, I don't think so.
Drewan77

United Kingdom

Postby capelyddol » 15 Feb 2018 11:38

Alec - thanks for that, I should have thought of it. And thanks for the extra input, Andrew. The more I read of the Heed 2 the more I'm moving in that direction. There are still some devils on my shoulder, though. If my 20-odd year old motor should pack up, would a replacement be readily available, or would I have to go the 24v route, in which case the Heed would be useless and I'd still have to purchase the Rega PSU? Is the Rega PSU as good as the Heed? (Pauses to bang head on wall... :? ).
Maybe I'd better emulate Fagin:
I think I'd better think it out again... :(
capelyddol

France

Postby regabob » 15 Feb 2018 19:36

Speaking from experience, I had a heed orbit 2 fitted to my old Rega P25. IMO, the sound quality was much improved due to improved power supply and the speed change convenience was great. I didn't really consider it a problem if the motor packed up because I could easily get a new 110v motor from eBay or other places, since this motor is was used by other manufacturers such as Linn, NAD etc...

I've upgraded to a modern Rega TT now, and on the other hand, since you already have decoupled the motor from the plinth, the new Rega 24v motor is very good, and dead silent. Also with the new Neo PSU you get the ability to micro adjust the speed to get it right.
regabob

United Kingdom

Postby JohnMichael » 16 Feb 2018 10:13

My Rega Planar2 was getting old and I had thought about motor upgrades. I skipped the first motor upgrade that Rega offered. When the 24V motor became available and the potential of electronic switching I was very interested. I had read in some audio journals the problems caused by the O ring mounted motors and the slight speed variations caused by the loose mounted motor.

I ordered and installed the new motor with some difficulty and creativity. Having used a Sony stand alone cd recorder I had recorded a number of vinyl records to cd to listen to in the car. Like the old days I would set there and set the levels using the monitor and starting and stopping to create the individual tracks.

Since I had a recording with the old motor I decided to rerecord the music with the new motor installed. I was pleased to hear a great improvement. The loose mounted motor caused the image to waiver and the soundstage was not as solid or defined. The recording made with the new motor had a more solid image of the entire recording and the vocalist were solid and front and center.

I do suggest either a rigid mounted motor or a motor that is isolated from the plinth and held in place in a way that does not allow the motor to vary in a way that effects any micro speed variations.
JohnMichael

United States of America

Postby capelyddol » 17 Feb 2018 10:46

Thanks for all the input everyone. At the moment it's between the 24v motor and the Rega TT PSU, or keep the present motor (as it's already decoupled from the plinth) and install a Heed Orbit 2 as the PSU. I note regabob's comment on the availability of 110v motors, should mine pack up in the future. I think the Heed is favourite, but I'm still undecided. I'll report back once the deed is done. (There's still time for some 'vinylengineers' to change my mind :wink: )
capelyddol

France

Postby kb007 » 17 Feb 2018 13:15

I don't really know the Heed very well, but does it work for both your current motor and the 24V motor with the ttpsu? If it does, then you could use it for now and if your orig motor were to crap out, replace it with the 24v/ttpsu combo at that time. If it doesn't work for both, I'd go for the 24V/TTPSU for now and depending on your results look for a PS in the future. (I just ordered a Swagman SE for my RP6, looking forward to when it arrives.
kb007

Canada

Postby james73_2008 » 17 Feb 2018 17:00

zacster wrote:I have the Music Hall Cruise Control 2 as my PSU. It costs less than the Rega version and needs a 110v motor. It also requires a dual 45 pulley to allow push button speed changes. It WILL work with a 33.3 pulley but then only at 33 1/3 rpm when set to 45. I'm not sure about a 50hz version though.

or

James H
james73_2008
long player
long player
contributor

Scotland

Next

Return to Rega