Rega Ania MC Exprience

on level ground
Merulz

Rega Ania MC Exprience

Post by Merulz » 21 Jan 2018 09:26

Hi everyone,

I have just installed the Rega Ania MC cart to my 2016 P3 previously pre installed with Elys2. I have bought the Rega Fono MC pre amp together with it and connected to a tube integrated amplifier to balance the tonality of a MC. Setup was easy with the 303 with the third locating bolt.

The outcome - it sounds amazing and significantly a huge step up from the MM, clear on the mid and highs, I felt there was a tad slightly less on the bass response tho not sure if this is due to the Ania or the tubes. Most significant improvement was the soundstage both width and depth that filled the room as if you were immersed right in the music. So I guess after a few months of spinning different genre and type of vinyl pressings I felt it rather suited for those who wants clear vocals and distinctive musicality of instruments. I have attempted to listen to hard rock, something is just amiss with these..it felt the speakers weren’t able to catch up with the music somewhat.. could it be the tubes again can’t be sure, this is a subjective view on my part.

Please do share if you have the Ania MC and see what you think of it.

jlwallen

Re: Rega Ania MC Exprience

Post by jlwallen » 21 Jan 2018 15:04

I have my eyes on the Ania. I've been thinking it could be my first venture into MC. I currently have an Ortofon 2M Black and when that gives up the ghost, I might make the switch. I've been looking for user reviews just like this. Thank you for sharing.

bananenklaus

Post by bananenklaus » 26 May 2018 22:01

Hi,

I recently replaced a Rega Exact on my P5 by a Rega Ania.
What a difference ! I think it fits perfect to the RB700, there is much more detail, midrange is great and bass is just as it has to be.

A big step forward for my nice P5 !

Sorry, I can't compare it to a 2M Black, the only other turntable I know has a Goldring Eroica LX on a Jelco-250-arm. It can't beat the Ania with details.

Toaster

Post by Toaster » 28 May 2018 09:39

I continue to be impressed with ours on one of the new Planar 6 decks. Clarity seems very good, which makes it easy to hear different musical lines and subtlties of tonal colours and dymamics. Vocals seem unusually expressive and music is always interesting to listen to. Bear in mind though that I've only used it on the Rega, the deck is new to me too and I haven't heard it with any other cartridge yet, so I'm really talking about the whole package. Compared to my wife's old, but well-maintained Rega Planar 2, the '6 with the Ania that's replaced it is a very different proposition. I have read comments on forums suggesting that all Regas are basically the same, and that they don't really sound that great. I wasn't a big fan of the older '2s and '3s myself and still think they are a bit over-rated, but I do rate the new '6, even though I have nominally better and certainly more expensive turntables about the place. All the usually qualifiers apply: My tastes in music and how it's presented may be significantly different to yours, my system is different and my room is different. Always listen to equipment yourself in a familiar context if at all possible and listen to alternatives. If you prefer a Hana or an Ortofon or an Audio Technica or anything else, fair play- all are fine choices!

brave

Post by brave » 28 May 2018 10:19

No matter what a minority of comments on some internet forums say (probably uttered by some vinyl snobs anyway), Rega turntables are still the best value for money in any price range they compete.

Toaster

Post by Toaster » 28 May 2018 13:36

The current range at UK prices is certainly very strong. Plenty of other options for different tuntable aesthetics and tastes in musical presentation, but for getting out of the way and letting the music speak for itself, the '6 is going to be hard to beat for the money. The best deck I have is a Trans-fi Salvation/ T3 arm, but the air pump hasn't re-emerged after a recent house move, so I haven't compared them yet. For a cartridge using 'only' an elliptical stylus, the Ania seems very 'quick' and pure sounding from top to bottom.

regabob

Post by regabob » 29 May 2018 10:17

Its a great cartridge, but you have to partner it with less bright sounding kit.