the home of the turntable

Rega Exact - The Difference I found between Rega & Baerwald

on level ground

Rega Exact - The Difference I found between Rega & Baerwald

Postby mrbthebarber » 01 Jan 2018 10:19

I've just upgraded from an Elys 2 to an Exact on my RP5 as I had a 20% discount voucher to use. Out of the box, set up the Rega way it impressed immediately, however the bass was booming a little too much for my liking & on one record that had always played mint, I noticed the first song, the arm jumped a second or so into the song, clipping the intro. Having 2 TTs, the other for Mono, I tried the record on that & it was fine. I then remembered using the Baerwald protractor one time before on my other Rega, before I placed the Ortofon Mono cartridge on it, though I did That time (with the Elys), return to the Rega set up. After much fiddling & with the cartridge sticking unattractively out of the front of the headshell, the record no longer had the clipped intro, the bass was clear & less booming & the last track of most all records seemed a lot clearer, with less minor distortion than I recall with the Elys ( set up Rega style ).

I know this has probably been discussed untold times here & I did try to find such threads so as to not start a new one but couldn't find one, sorry. Anyone else had similar finds? I'm happy with the set up, if it hadn't been so fiddly I would go back Rega set up just to compare but am loathe to lose this sweet spot!
mrbthebarber

Re: Rega Exact - The Difference I found between Rega & Baerw

Postby sunderwood » 01 Jan 2018 18:42

My P324 came with the elys on it. While I never was completely satisfied with it I did like the sound better with the baerwald alignment. After a year I went with an Ortofon 2m bronze and like the sound of it better.
sunderwood

United States of America

Postby JohnMichael » 01 Jan 2018 20:48

When I first bought my Planar2 they set it up with a protractor that used the Baerwald alignment. The table sounded great but I thought maybe it would sound better with the Rega alignment. Sadly it did not sound better and I realigned the cartridge to Baerwald. I hear less distortion across the entire record surface.
JohnMichael

United States of America

Postby zharca » 03 Jan 2018 23:47

Hi, the alignment adopted by Rega way back at the introduction of the Rb300 and 250 has often puzzled people as being "near but not quite Stevenson".

In fact, it makes a lot of sense because, back then, they expected their customers to play both 12"LPs and 7" singles and it's a very good compromise for playing both, which accounts for their geometry.

As we're really only concerned with the 12"Lp I think it's best to use one of the recognised alignments.
zharca

Postby Rillto » 15 Jan 2018 23:17

So what exactly are the differense between the Stevenson and the Bearwald alignment?
On my table they are exactly the same. The pickup is always completly at the tipp of the arm and the only differense i see is that the inner point is an x on Stevenson and a grid on Bearwald. The needle end exatly where it is supposed to be on both
Rillto

Norway

Postby JohnMichael » 16 Jan 2018 07:09

Rillto wrote:So what exactly are the differense between the Stevenson and the Bearwald alignment?
On my table they are exactly the same. The pickup is always completly at the tipp of the arm and the only differense i see is that the inner point is an x on Stevenson and a grid on Bearwald. The needle end exatly where it is supposed to be on both

On my RB250 arm the Baerwald alignment is more forward than the Rega alignment and the Baerwald is never parallel to the headshell. May I ask what cartridge you are using?
JohnMichael

United States of America

Postby Rillto » 16 Jan 2018 18:28

I use the stock OM5 that comes with the P1 from the factory.
Well it`is not the exact same needle that was supplied by Rega 12 years ago but my table is competly original.
Rillto

Norway

Postby Rillto » 24 Feb 2018 21:03

Rillto wrote:So what exactly are the differense between the Stevenson and the Bearwald alignment?

I have to quote my selves and add the Löfgren B as well.

I tested this on both my Rega P1 and my Pro-ject and the result is the same.
The P1 using the Rega Stevenson arc protractor, Bearwald or Löfgren B makes absolutely no difference and the stylus end up exactly on the cross on all off the protractors without any adjustments.

On the Pro-ject table I used the Bearwald and the Löfgren B and the result is no different.

Using different arms there is no way this could be an artifact of arm lengt or overhang.
And using 3 different protractors it’s not likely any errors in the printing of the protractors either.

So what is wrong?
Rillto

Norway

Return to Rega