the home of the turntable

Rega Planar 2 (2016) preset anti-skate issues

on level ground

Rega Planar 2 (2016) preset anti-skate issues

Postby Eggwin » 16 Nov 2017 13:14

I have a Planar 2 (2016) model which comes with the RB220 tonarm. This tonarm has a pre-set anti skate set for the carbon at 2g tracking force.

I recently upgraded this TT to have a Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. when looking at the Tracking force recommended for this cartridge it was suggested on various forums to be around the 1.8g mark. I was a little concerned as this is lighter than the 2g recommended by Rega for this arm/preset antiskate but it seemed ok.

However, a couple of LP's in and I was definitely noticing Left channel noise toward the centre of the record.

I went and bought the wonderful Hifi News Test LP and as suspected found I was getting far too much anti skate pressure being applied. As the magnet on this tonarm is pre-set (its actually glued in to place) the only adjustment I can make to compensate is apply more Tracking force. As such I found to get no buzzing on the left channel on tracks 6,7,8 of the Test LP (this is what is recommended as reasonably acceptable) I need to have a force of 2.3g.

My concern is how would this affect the general playback - is 2.3 an acceptable force for this cartridge or will it cause me problems. As a compromise I did back it off to 2g but im still getting noise from certain tracks im listening to.

Many thanks in advance for any comments.
Eggwin

United Kingdom

Re: Rega Planar 2 (2016) preset anti-skate issues

Postby sunderwood » 16 Nov 2017 14:26

Is there anyway you can disable the antiskate altogether like removing the magnet? If you can't do that you could try very slightly raising the right side of the turntable so gravity could offset the excess amount of antiskate. I've never tried that, but it might Help. In fact there is a post on vinyl engine asking if that could Help. I have a P324 which I have had for seven years and I find that I get best sound by setting the antiskate a good bit less than factory recommendation. I have even set the adjustment to its lowest point and the sound was good. If you type Rega antiskate into the search engine on this site you will find a lot of discussion on this subject. In my own experience I have always noticed distortion with too much antiskate as you are experiencing and never with too little.
sunderwood

United States of America

Postby Eggwin » 16 Nov 2017 14:39

Thanks. yes I have read A LOT of stuff about this recently lol. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I obviously wouldn't have purchased this TT if had knowing the limitations of the Tonearm at the time.

Someone on another forum has actually done a 'how to' on the RB110 (P1 tonearm) which has the same wonderful 'feature'.

He removed the magnet and then adjusted it until he was happy.

I just really didn't want to start messing with this tonearm already. ive only had the TT a couple of months.

You can see the magnet in this photo on the underside of the tonearm in the reflection.

20171107_221007_1.jpg
Eggwin

United Kingdom

Postby sunderwood » 16 Nov 2017 18:45

If it is within your finances you could just get a new arm that has antiskate adjustment. I notice that your arm has the 3 point mounting. Any Rega arm made now is a drop in replacement. You can also check ebay. There are people on there with rega arms for sale.
sunderwood

United States of America

Postby Eggwin » 17 Nov 2017 12:40

Yes, the annoying thing is that it is less than 2 months old.

I ummed and erred about getting the P3 but it was 300 quid more. The two things that are far superior on the P3 are the 24v motor (compatible with separate PSU) and the tonearm... which would cost me as 600 quid to upgrade - a new P3 isn't much more! :(

With the new spacer, 2M Red, upgraded belt, Groovetracer Reference Subplatter, Groovetracer Counterweight and Record weight I've already gone way beyond the spec of the P3 (aside from tonearm and better motor of course).

I may take a look this evening and see how solidly the glue is holding the magnet. If I can pull it out enough that I can get my 2M at 1.8g as recommended and correct anti skate I'll be a happy bunny.

....Or just buy a P3 and sell this puppy for a steal on an auction site...
Attachments
20171112_153328_1.jpg
Eggwin

United Kingdom

Postby james73_2008 » 18 Nov 2017 02:48

I've said this already on here, but the lack of user adjustable anti-skate would be a deal breaker for me. I think it's a real retrograde step by Rega.

You could always seek out a RB202 (or even a RB251) arm as it would be a straight swap with your current RB220 arm, and it'll work fine with your GT Counterweight. Then, sell the RB220 to recoup some of the outlay.

Here's a RB202 for £169 - Link.

James H
james73_2008
long player
long player
contributor

Scotland

Postby Garry71 » 18 Nov 2017 14:55

Eggwin wrote:
Someone on another forum has actually done a 'how to' on the RB110 (P1 tonearm) which has the same wonderful 'feature'.

He removed the magnet and then adjusted it until he was happy.

Do you have a link to this please?
I have a P1, and may have to tackle the anti-skate thing when I upgrade the cartridge.

Cheers
Garry71

United Kingdom

Postby james73_2008 » 18 Nov 2017 18:54

Dunno if this is the info Eggwin was meaning but here's a link to read through.

http://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/ ... nt.205514/

James H
james73_2008
long player
long player
contributor

Scotland

Postby Eggwin » 18 Nov 2017 19:10

It was indeed. I have just done mine actually and I've re-glued it only about 2 mm further out that it was originally glued but it now is happy with 1.8g tracking force. What I did was remove it and replace and hold it in with sellotape while I tested it on the TT. When I was happy I then marked it with perm marker on the magnet and glued it in. Refitted the arm and all seems great.
Eggwin

United Kingdom

Postby Garry71 » 18 Nov 2017 20:55

Thanks both, I'll know what to look out for if I have any problems in the future.

I can understand Rega taking this approach with the P1, but it seems a bit cheap to do it on the P2, never mind about giving that one the same budget cartridge as well. The P2 with a Bias2 cartridge and adjustable anti skate would have tempted me away from the P1, and probably a few other P1 buyers as well. I have to say I'm quite happy with my P1 anyway though!
Garry71

United Kingdom

Postby smikey » 12 Jan 2018 20:32

Newbie to this forum so this is my first post.
I had the same issue (too much AS) with the P2 I have just purchased. I have a few LPs which are scratched and I found that some of them were always skipping back on my P2 whereas they played fine on my old Dual CS 505-3. I read on another forum about where the magnet is and how to remove it, but didn’t fancy that for fear of warranty infringement, so came up with a non-invasive solution.
Get one of those children’s construction kits with the steel ball bearings and the plastic sticks with a magnet at each end. Opposite ends are opposite poles, so find the end of the stick which is attracted to the exposed end of the magnet on the RB220. If you then place this end directly up against the arm support, directly opposite the fitted magnet, it will oppose the magnetic field and reduce the AS. I stuck it with a little blob of blue tack. You may need to adjust the distance from the arm support in which case you can vary the size of the blob. Worked a treat and now no jumping back. Because it’s hidden behind the arm support it doesn’t spoil the looks. Just be careful with the strength of the magnet so it doesn’t attract the counterbalance (steel). Mine did slightly, so I remove the magnet when finding the balance point. It doesn’t appear to affect VTF though once the tonearm is on the record.
smikey

United Kingdom

Postby DSJR » 12 Jan 2018 22:11

Ummm. The OP is UK based and conical styli usually need less bias correction than ellipticals, right? The fact that a 1.8g cartridge with elliptical stylus has too much bias offered indicates a possible fault to me - accepting that Rega 'RB' bias correction always used to be excessive - I thought they'd fixed it with these newer arms......

The first option before taking part of the arm to bits *must* be to contact the supplying dealer as the purchase contract was made with them. The dealer can contact Rega and get a replacement tonearm while this sample is so new - perhaps telling Rega what the owner wants to use in the tonearm. Ortofon OM's are shaped to match the RB headshell profile and should work well in these - a 2M Bronze did superbly in a late RP3 I set up a couple of years ago.

P.S. Rega NEED TO KNOW if this is a regular fault as their own UK made cartridges will suffer the same tracking fate. In the olden days (he says shaking his zimmer frame...), I used to set the RB bias to half the tracking force or less, depending on the cartridge (and slightly higher than the tracking force in the original R200 arm), but if this is set on these and is still too high, they really should be told by end users out in the field!
DSJR
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby james73_2008 » 13 Jan 2018 01:26

DSJR wrote:Ummm. The OP is UK based and conical styli usually need less bias correction than ellipticals, right? The fact that a 1.8g cartridge with elliptical stylus has too much bias offered indicates a possible fault to me - accepting that Rega 'RB' bias correction always used to be excessive - I thought they'd fixed it with these newer arms......

The first option before taking part of the arm to bits *must* be to contact the supplying dealer as the purchase contract was made with them. The dealer can contact Rega and get a replacement tonearm while this sample is so new - perhaps telling Rega what the owner wants to use in the tonearm. Ortofon OM's are shaped to match the RB headshell profile and should work well in these - a 2M Bronze did superbly in a late RP3 I set up a couple of years ago.

P.S. Rega NEED TO KNOW if this is a regular fault as their own UK made cartridges will suffer the same tracking fate. In the olden days (he says shaking his zimmer frame...), I used to set the RB bias to half the tracking force or less, depending on the cartridge (and slightly higher than the tracking force in the original R200 arm), but if this is set on these and is still too high, they really should be told by end users out in the field!

I think the point here is that the RB220 arm (and the RB110 on the Planar 1) have fixed anti-skating. The magnet is fixed in position and users cannot adjust it. That was never the case until the 2016 Planar 1 and Planar 2 models were released.

I've read about this problem not just on here, but on various other hi-fi forums. Users are all reporting the same issue.

At the risk of repeating myself, I think this is a cost cutting measure Rega will regret making.

James H
james73_2008
long player
long player
contributor

Scotland

Postby james73_2008 » 13 Jan 2018 21:32

Here's an image of the RB110, RB220 and RB330 arms. The two cheaper arms are missing the adjustable anti-skate slider featured on the RB330. Whether or not it could be retrofitted to the RB110 and RB220 I don't know.

James H
james73_2008
long player
long player
contributor

Scotland

Postby Eggwin » 16 Jan 2018 02:04

Well the inferior tonearm and motor became too much of a temptation for me... I considered 24v upgrade motor and rb330 tonearm upgrades but these 2 items cost nearly as much as P3... so in the end I purchased a new gorgeous P3 with Neo power supply. With all my groovetracer add-ons and upgraded belt with the ortofon red 2m it looks and sounds phenomenal! My lovely P2 is now boxed and ready for those auction sites..at least I will be able to cover a little of the P3 outlay lol.
Eggwin

United Kingdom

Next

Return to Rega