Rega Planar 3 static/noise issue

on level ground
smb555

Rega Planar 3 static/noise issue

Post by smb555 » 19 Apr 2018 09:44

Hi all.

I purchased a Rega Planar 3 turntable a couple months ago with the Rega Elys 2 cartridge.

The first cartridge was very noisy (lots of crackles and pops that I never had before with the same vinyl) and so I had it replaced. The store said they had a few other similar complaints and put it down to a faulty batch of cartridges.

The second cartridge was less noisy, but retained an issue with what sounds like static: when I drop the needle onto the record, and especially when I lift it off, there is a loud residue of crackles that gradually fades away. I took it back for a third cartridge, but I've still got the same problem! Listen to this video for what I mean:

http://tinypic.com/r/207sw3a/9

When the record is playing the sound is mainly OK, although there are more crackles & pops than I think I used to have with the same records on my old Technics 1210 (although I have now gone slightly mad overanalysing this issue, so who knows!). And in any case, lifting the needle off should be silent, right?

I also got a new amp and speakers during this process and the problem remained - so seems to be around the turntable. The issue happens with any records, old or new (I even tried dropping the needle onto a piece of paper and still got the loud static noises).

I did some research into anti-static tactics and have tried a bunch (vinyl brush; record cleaning liquid; new anti-static mat; poly-lined vinyl sleeves) but none of that has worked. I even finally got one of those overpriced Zerostat anti-static guns and zapped each record before playing, which has made zero difference!

Any ideas to work out what is going on would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Leo_Fender

Re: Rega Planar 3 static/noise issue

Post by Leo_Fender » 22 Apr 2018 13:25

At me too most already with the second cartridge.

capelyddol

Post by capelyddol » 22 Apr 2018 22:02

I think I'd be returning TT and cart to the store and let them sort it out. You're not alone. Google 'rega elys 2 static problems' and you'll find lots of company. This cart appears to have serious issues.

smb555

Post by smb555 » 23 Apr 2018 15:39

capelyddol wrote:I think I'd be returning TT and cart to the store and let them sort it out. You're not alone. Google 'rega elys 2 static problems' and you'll find lots of company. This cart appears to have serious issues.
Thanks for the reply. The store didn't want to replace the whole TT given it's been 3 months since I purchased now. But I haven't tried to make a fuss yet and probably could. They have replaced that cartridge for me twice now, but obviously just with the same elys 2 model that seems to have the same issue each time.

Do you think it's definitely the cartridge then? Would you recommend trying a different cartridge? Or am I better off trying to get a refund on the whole unit and looking at a different TT option altogether?

capelyddol

Post by capelyddol » 23 Apr 2018 18:20

Assuming this was a new Planar 3 only three months ago it's still under warranty and the dealer must sort out the problem for you. It's most likely the cartridge, but it might be faulty wiring in the arm itself. I would take the whole caboodle back to the dealership and tell them to fix it. Perhaps you could suggest they fit another make of cartridge, which will determine if it's the Elys causing the trouble, or the deck itself. If you don't get satisfaction contact Rega direct and get them to sort it. Unfortunately, they don't do email but their address is: REGA RESEARCH LIMITED; 6 COOPERS WAY, SS2 5TE, TEMPLE FARM INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, Essex. Hopefully, you won't have to resort to that, but if the dealer isn't accommodating you can make clear that Rega will be hearing from you. That should be sufficient to change their attitude.

Scottyboy0902

Post by Scottyboy0902 » 14 Jun 2018 20:37

Hi, recently purchased a Rega Planar 3 and Elys cartridge and although it works perfectly every time I lift the needle from a record there's a loud pop/thud through the speakers about 5 seconds later. Bought from a Rega dealer via Ebay and they are sending a courier to collect the TT to 'investigate and fix' the issue. Tried contacting Rega direct for comment but no response. Will update when dealer's investigated.

capelyddol

Post by capelyddol » 14 Jun 2018 21:50

Scottyboy0902 ~ what was your deck/cartridge before the Rega. I assume the problem wasn't there prior to the new deck? What's your amp setup?

Scottyboy0902

Post by Scottyboy0902 » 14 Jun 2018 21:55

Previously had a RP1 turntable into Rotel RA-01 amp and B&W 701S3 speakers. No similar problem with this set up. Have replaced these with new Planar 3 / Elys into Rega Brio and Rega RX1 speakers. Also have a Rega Neo and tested with and without this.

capelyddol

Post by capelyddol » 14 Jun 2018 22:27

I'm no expert on modern electronics and this is a long-shot, but that 5 sec delay is strange. It sounds rather like a condenser discharging through the speakers. If you still have your RP1 I'd hook that to the Brio and see if the fault is still there. If so, your Brio's the culprit. I don't know if that fault is even possible with a Brio, but at least if it didn't happen with the RP1 hooked in it would eliminate the amp.
Rega have had problems with some of the Elys carts, but not this particular issue, so far as I know. It could also be a wiring issue in the arm itself. Let us know how you get on.

MetalT75

Post by MetalT75 » 15 Jun 2018 07:18

I ran in a similar issue somewhere when I was having problems with my Exact cart some months back. I don't remember were those issues with Elys but definitely Rega related.

Sometimes a record has a lot of static. The slipmat goes away with the record when I lift the record off the platter. When putting the slipmat back I get pops and snaps even though the tonearm and cart are not even close. I've never experienced such thing with other turntables I've used, only Rega, both ones I've had. Rega seems quite sensitive to static overall. It might also be the cartridge. I've only used Exact with Rega TT so far.

However, I've not experienced the problem described here. I'm not very convinced that the Rega way of grounging through the left(?) channel is a good one but only "barely enough". It might be the reason for this mentioned problem combined to a bad cart. Testing with a different cart would rule out other defects. If this happens also with other brands the fault is in the TT.

smb555

Post by smb555 » 15 Jun 2018 09:32

Thanks for all the replies everyone. After complaining to the dealer some more, they finally suggested replacing the Elys 2 cartridge with an Audi Technica alternative, which now works absolutely perfectly.

They said they have had lots of complaints about the Rega Elys 2, and put it down to a series of faulty batches from Rega.

So I think the lesson is: beware the Elys 2!

MetalT75

Post by MetalT75 » 15 Jun 2018 10:21

Very good!

I agree avoiding Elys and also other Rega MM carts. Exact has also faulty batches. I'm going to steer away from Rega carts soon and leave my Exact as a spare. Considering quality issues with their new Planar 3 & 6 Rega is not the safest option out there at this moment. I hope they'll do something about it.

capelyddol

Post by capelyddol » 15 Jun 2018 17:54

I agree. Rega are not the company they used to be. Quality control seems to have gone down the pan. It's a common problem as small companies grow, profit margins become more important than customer care. I know one or two others in the hi-fi industry that have gone the same way - my old stalwart, Linn, in particular.
Anyway, I'm glad you got your problem sorted, smb555. It sounds like you've got a good dealer there.

Lucius Snow
France

Post by Lucius Snow » 11 Jul 2019 22:59

Hello,

I have the exact same problem. So many "pops" (like 15-20 on a 5 min. track) on any brand new LP. And also, a big one 5 seconds after I lift the needle from a record, as Scottyboy0902 described here.

Which Audio Technica cartdrige did you get instead? Any reference?

Thank you.