Cartridge upgrade for Planar 1 (2016)

on level ground
Vimmy
Sweden

Cartridge upgrade for Planar 1 (2016)

Post by Vimmy » 25 May 2019 22:26

Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker here deciding to enter the fray - with (probably) the most asked question regarding the Planar 1 - a new cartridge. Its a long story in the making, I've searched various discussion boards for information regarding this and found that the common denominator was the Nag MP-110. So I proceeded with the MP-110 with the help of my local hi-fi shop.

A few hours after I turned in my TT the shop called me and said the MP-110 wouldn't fit and that the "angle was off". I thought it was weird since I've seen so many users fitting the MP-110 to their TT. But this guy is a pro and I trust him. A few back and forth we decided it was the best to buy a Rega cart instead. They would order an Elys 2 for me and sell it at cost price. However since we pulled the trigger on that I searched the web once more about the Elys 2, especially on the Planar 1 and I'm conflicted. Rega told me on their support that the Elys 2 would work with the Planar 1 but I'm finding contradicting information about the compability with the TT - on this message board and elsewhere. And its making me nervous.

So my question is - will it work? Elys 2 on my Planar 1? Or should I just ditch the idea of a cartridge upgrade overall and move onward to a new TT instead?

rlwings
Canada

Re: Cartridge upgrade for Planar 1 (2016)

Post by rlwings » 28 May 2019 22:44

Hi Vimmy...

I have a Planar 1 as well and have successfully installed the Nagaoka MP-110 with no problems whatsoever (See attachment) ... "the angle was off"?? - I wonder what the heck that guy was talking about. I used a standard 2-point protractor and aligned the Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge perfectly... And it sounds amazing by the way. :)

Anyway, I know you've moved on to the Elys 2 and I'm sorry but I've never used it so I can't comment. But my educated guess is that most popular cartridges will work just fine on the RB-110 arm.

I currently have the Nagaoka MP-200 installed on my Planar 1. OMG, if you can swing it, just get it! - Unbelievably good on the P1.
p1.jpg
(71.69 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 31 May 2019 13:52

If the tech was using a Baerwald/Lofgren protractor, then one would expect the cartridge to be at a slight angle to the headshell. That is not a problem.

Cheers,
Alec

Lion89
England

Post by Lion89 » 04 Jun 2019 11:01

rlwings wrote:
28 May 2019 22:44
Hi Vimmy...

I have a Planar 1 as well and have successfully installed the Nagaoka MP-110 with no problems whatsoever (See attachment) ... "the angle was off"?? - I wonder what the heck that guy was talking about. I used a standard 2-point protractor and aligned the Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge perfectly... And it sounds amazing by the way. :)

Anyway, I know you've moved on to the Elys 2 and I'm sorry but I've never used it so I can't comment. But my educated guess is that most popular cartridges will work just fine on the RB-110 arm.

I currently have the Nagaoka MP-200 installed on my Planar 1. OMG, if you can swing it, just get it! - Unbelievably good on the P1.p1.jpg
Can I ask which protractor you used, as I am going to fit this cart to a planar 2 .

Thanks

Lion

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 04 Jun 2019 11:44

Maybe he simply meant that the Vertical Tracking Alignment (VTA) was off, since the Planar 1 has a tonearm without height adjustment. But VTA is more of an issue with advanced styluses or MC-cartridges (they tend to be more sensitive than MM/MI). MP110 has a standard elliptical stylus of 0.4 x 0.7 so it shouldn't be that sensitive to VTA. It should work with the tonearm in the Planar 1. A bigger problem, I would say, would be the lack of antiskating adjustment of the Planar 1 (it has a pre-set and locked bias/antiskating). So Rega's own cartridges works best, with them you will get the right VTA and antiskating.

rlwings
Canada

Post by rlwings » 04 Jun 2019 15:58

Lion89 wrote:
04 Jun 2019 11:01
rlwings wrote:
Hi Vimmy...

I currently have the Nagaoka MP-200 installed on my Planar 1. OMG, if you can swing it, just get it! - Unbelievably good on the P1.p1.jpg
Can I ask which protractor you used, as I am going to fit this cart to a planar 2 .

Thanks

Lion
I'm not sure which version this is but I've pictured it here so maybe somebody can comment as to which one it is. -Hudson HiFi from Amazon.[attachment=0]hudson hifi.jpg[/attachment

For some reason whenever I submit photos they seem to post sideways? Anybody know what's going on?
Attachments
hudson hifi.jpg
(196.27 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Last edited by rlwings on 04 Jun 2019 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

rlwings
Canada

Post by rlwings » 04 Jun 2019 16:07

raphaelmabo wrote:
04 Jun 2019 11:44
Maybe he simply meant that the Vertical Tracking Alignment (VTA) was off, since the Planar 1 has a tonearm without height adjustment. But VTA is more of an issue with advanced styluses or MC-cartridges (they tend to be more sensitive than MM/MI). MP110 has a standard elliptical stylus of 0.4 x 0.7 so it shouldn't be that sensitive to VTA. It should work with the tonearm in the Planar 1. A bigger problem, I would say, would be the lack of antiskating adjustment of the Planar 1 (it has a pre-set and locked bias/antiskating). So Rega's own cartridges works best, with them you will get the right VTA and antiskating.
Oddly enough, the VTA is parallel on one of my P1's but sits low on my second P1. Same cart! Inconsistent manufacturing I suppose.

As far as antiskating goes, I followed a hack (somewhere around here) which has you move the magnet in and out under the tonearm to adjust. But it requires you to break the glue bond first. Not ideal, but it works. :)

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 05 Jun 2019 00:49

Sounds odd. The cartridge will sit at a slight angle relative to the headshell of the arm. If it’s lined up perfectly, it’s (maybe) using the Rega alignment, which I feel (hear) leaves a bit “on the table” so to speak...

The Rega cartridges do not allow other alignments as far as I’m aware. But if you can align the Rega cartridge to Bayerwald for example, I think you will wring our all you can from the cartridge.

And Rega anti-skate doesn’t do much anyway. My P3 is set to 0 and no issues with a non Rega cartridge. Always some trial and error is needed- your “pro” installer should know this. Maybe there’s a VE member not too far from you who can work with you setting up your table? I always prefer to learn and understand than just hand over money and magic stuff happens behind the curtain.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 09 Jun 2019 03:04

You can realign a Rega cartridge, if you don't use the third screw.
Rega cartridges tend to be a bit shorter in the vertical direction, than other cartridges. This is why many people put shims under the arm mount, when using taller cartridges.
Rega has been using AT cartridges on more recent Planar 1s, and may have changed the arm height.
The pictured protractor would be a Lofgren A, aka Baerwals.

Cheers,
Alec

dl_hoffman
Canada

Post by dl_hoffman » 11 Jun 2019 03:31

Hi gentlemen, I have a new gen Planar 2. Found it worked well with a Bias2 cart at 1.85 - 1.90 tracking force. Had a Nagaoka MP-110 installed and it works just fine. Big improvement over the Bias2. The gentleman at the audio store recommended a 2mm shim be added. I ordered one and he installed it. All is well. Not sure which protractor he used. It’s one he has used for years and is happy with.

dastewart
Great Britain

Post by dastewart » 01 Jul 2019 15:28

Hi guys

Check out this video in which Ian of HiViNyws walks through upgrading a Rega Planar 1 to a Nag MP110. An upgrade I've performed myself, but which would have been a lot easier if I'd seen this video first ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8STonWhg4

Thanks

rlwings
Canada

Post by rlwings » 01 Jul 2019 15:57

dastewart wrote:
01 Jul 2019 15:28
Hi guys

Check out this video in which Ian of HiViNyws walks through upgrading a Rega Planar 1 to a Nag MP110. An upgrade I've performed myself, but which would have been a lot easier if I'd seen this video first ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8STonWhg4

Thanks
Just saw it. Great guy. Great videos... Because of him I ended up getting a Rega P1 with a MP110, then later a 1200GR, MP200, and Schiit Mani... And yes, wish I had seen this video before doing my antiskate operation. :)

drprofessorscientist
Canada

Post by drprofessorscientist » 12 Feb 2020 17:09

rlwings wrote:

This is what I am about to do, install the MP-200 on my Planar 1. Did you have any issues installing the MP-200? I have not changed a cartridge before..

Thanks!

rlwings
Canada

Post by rlwings » 12 Feb 2020 17:18

I had no problems. But you will need a scale to measure the vertical tracking force since the counterweight isn't numbered. The 'stop ring' on the P1 is rated at 2g for the Carbon cart only that comes with the P1. The Nagaoka MP200 should be set at 1.75g