New Rega P2, Arm Height, Platter Size, New Cart?

on level ground
brubacca

New Rega P2, Arm Height, Platter Size, New Cart?

Post by brubacca » 24 Oct 2019 21:55

I have a new Rega Planar 2. Trust me when I have said that I have reviewed numerous threads on what options are. How limited the arm is , how easy it is to change the fixed anti-skate and the like. I have also read countless cartridge reviews that use the P2.

One thing bugs me and I can't help but think people have missed a detail. Please set me straight.

In every cartridge thread invariably says go for the Rega Exact its a perfect match for the arm... But on the P2 the glass platter is only 10mm, where the P3 (which comes with Elys 2 or Exact) has a 12mm platter. Also the P2 comes with the Carbon cartridge which is 2mm taller than Rega's own cartridges.

Since the Rega ToneArms are interchangeable wouldn't it reason out that for proper fit of a Elys 2 or Exact cartridge you would need to account for that 2mm? Like with a glass platter from a P3 or a thicker mat? The Performance upgrade comes with a diffefent mat, but I can't confirm the thickness.

Am I crazy? Does this reason out for anyone else?

brubacca

Re: New Rega P2, Arm Height, Platter Size, New Cart?

Post by brubacca » 24 Oct 2019 21:56

Also putting on a cartridge that is the same height as the Carbon means no spacers necessary on the tonearm... Right?

Lion89
England

Post by Lion89 » 25 Oct 2019 17:22

Changing the cart on the P2 is laden with grief. why bother?

https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3600DLXVL.html

brubacca

Post by brubacca » 25 Oct 2019 17:36

I bought that stylus and feel that it is too clinical.

I'm thinking Hana EL or Exact.

Lion89
England

Post by Lion89 » 25 Oct 2019 18:27

what about the $29 dollar version? I have to say I think it is an incredible Stylus for the money

Respect

🦁

brubacca

Post by brubacca » 31 Oct 2019 20:20

I haven't tried the 29 dollar version. I should try the other stylus again. I never gave it a chance to run in.

Lion89
England

Post by Lion89 » 01 Nov 2019 08:18

I run the $29 dollar stylus on my P2, with upgrade sub-platter & Acrylic platter; it sounds fantastic to my ear. I felt these were the best upgrades for my P2, without changing the cart. been listening to it for months and I am very happy with the sound. Perhaps more importantly, I don’t feel the need to change anything else. What Phono stage are you using?

🦁

brubacca

Post by brubacca » 01 Nov 2019 18:59

I bought the table with the intention of changing the cartridge when I could. To be honest I find the Carbon cart to be quite enjoyable. I have some old vinyl from the 80s that spunds good.

When I put more current really good recordings is where I feel it could be improved. I guess I'm looking for more of the vinyl goodness. A bit more extension up and down, more air and presence if that makes sense. Its hard to describe. I'm not a detail freak, but like the whole PRAT thing.

brubacca

Post by brubacca » 01 Nov 2019 19:02

I have two phono stages. I started with a Lounge Audio LCR mk3. I recently upgraded to a Lehman Audio Black Cube Statement.

As said before my intent was to go MC cartridge to see what the fuss is about, but the exact is also tempting to stay within the Rega architecture.

I have also been looking at Tangospinner and other platter upgrades. Groovetracer seems like overkill for the P2.

All I really lack is the money and time to do any of it.