the home of the turntable

Need help with Autoslim Disassembly

the jewel in the crown

Need help with Autoslim Disassembly

Postby Oldmankac » 12 Sep 2017 07:51

This is my first time to tinker this deep with a turntable. I'm trying to fully take apart an Autoslim so it can be repainted and I'm stuck. I have attached photos of the stage I'm in. I do not know how to remove the Record and Selector Arms and some parts underneath near the motor. A bearing also fell and I do not know where it came from. Thrust bearings (not sure if this is the correct term) are complete though as shown by the photo. Thanks so much.
Attachments
Garrard3.jpg
Garrard1.jpg
Garrard2.jpg
Oldmankac

Philippines

Re: Need help with Autoslim Disassembly

Postby Oldmankac » 12 Sep 2017 14:25

I was able to remove the other parts but I still cannot figure out how to remove the arms.
Oldmankac

Philippines

Postby DSJR » 12 Sep 2017 18:39

A70BBen should advise best as I've never stripped one of these down so far. The overarm has a C-clip holding it and removing this should enable it to be lifted out. I suspect the flipper is similarly held, but watch for possible free-flying springs...

The ball probably came from the horizontal tonearm bearing usually buried in the bearing casting block you haven't removed yet. Can't remember how many balls there are in the horizontal bearing, but there's a C-shaped tonearm bracket which you've removed and at least one ball hidden in this casting is spring loaded, the whole thing held by the screw and threaded top bearing 'spindle' (I apologise for lack of descriptive vocabulary). Have a look at the SL55/65 manual as I think the (shared) tonearm parts are there. It would appear there's a spring and ball acting downwards on the lower bearing 'pin' and the top is screwed down as far as it can go (onto a captive ball?), putting the spring and ball underneath under load. It could be the other way round in actual fact, but it's so long since I stripped one out. It's a crude but pretty effective bearing for the cartridges used in these decks and stayed much the same for the chassis' life I think, getting refinements here and there as the years rolled by. The friction link which grabs the tonearm segment and pulls and pushes it around was the main cause of tonearm friction after the trip assembly is cleaned and serviced (leave the pawls on the cam dry and 'rattly' on reassembly)

*Somewhere* in one of the manuals for this multi-model chassis is a picture of what I'm describing above, but I'm darned if I can remember it :(

By the way, the platter bearing on early decks had a fibre washer at the bottom. This was replaced by an O ring on later versions, so if the platter has enough clearance, it may be worth locating a 1mm or 1.5mm cross section o ring 'cushion' to replace it. The open end of the ball race usually is downwards I think and is greased, the bearing spindle lubricated with preferably an adhesive oil - modern engine oil is fine I think but I use EP80 gear oil as these bearings aren't the tightest tolerance affairs and the platters usually wobble slightly if rocked.

P.S. Loads here and on the UK vintage radio site about servicing and lubricating these changers, ESPECIALLY the trip pawls on the cam which always seize.

Fun ain't it? :D Good luck.
DSJR
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby A70BBen » 13 Sep 2017 02:44

The overarm is held only by the C-clip at the bottom but you will need to jiggle the large lever underneath that looks like a standing-up letter "L" as you pull the overarm out. The pin on tbe overarm shaft is probably engaging it.
A70BBen

Postby Spinner45 » 13 Sep 2017 03:56

DSJR wrote:A70BBen should advise best as I've never stripped one of these down so far. The overarm has a C-clip holding it and removing this should enable it to be lifted out. I suspect the flipper is similarly held, but watch for possible free-flying springs...

The ball probably came from the horizontal tonearm bearing usually buried in the bearing casting block you haven't removed yet. Can't remember how many balls there are in the horizontal bearing, but there's a C-shaped tonearm bracket which you've removed and at least one ball hidden in this casting is spring loaded, the whole thing held by the screw and threaded top bearing 'spindle' (I apologise for lack of descriptive vocabulary). Have a look at the SL55/65 manual as I think the (shared) tonearm parts are there. It would appear there's a spring and ball acting downwards on the lower bearing 'pin' and the top is screwed down as far as it can go (onto a captive ball?), putting the spring and ball underneath under load. It could be the other way round in actual fact, but it's so long since I stripped one out. It's a crude but pretty effective bearing for the cartridges used in these decks and stayed much the same for the chassis' life I think, getting refinements here and there as the years rolled by. The friction link which grabs the tonearm segment and pulls and pushes it around was the main cause of tonearm friction after the trip assembly is cleaned and serviced (leave the pawls on the cam dry and 'rattly' on reassembly)

*Somewhere* in one of the manuals for this multi-model chassis is a picture of what I'm describing above, but I'm darned if I can remember it :(

By the way, the platter bearing on early decks had a fibre washer at the bottom. This was replaced by an O ring on later versions, so if the platter has enough clearance, it may be worth locating a 1mm or 1.5mm cross section o ring 'cushion' to replace it. The open end of the ball race usually is downwards I think and is greased, the bearing spindle lubricated with preferably an adhesive oil - modern engine oil is fine I think but I use EP80 gear oil as these bearings aren't the tightest tolerance affairs and the platters usually wobble slightly if rocked.

P.S. Loads here and on the UK vintage radio site about servicing and lubricating these changers, ESPECIALLY the trip pawls on the cam which always seize.

Fun ain't it? :D Good luck.

Incorrect.
The ball race is installed open face UP, and greased fully.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby Oldmankac » 13 Sep 2017 03:59

Thank you so much for responding guys. The bearing fell out when I removed the tonearm. I have attached a close up of the parts remaining and I do not see a C Clip to remove the overarm. I really appreciate the help, as I am already stuck.
Attachments
IMG_6297.jpg
Oldmankac

Philippines

Postby DSJR » 13 Sep 2017 17:45

[quote="Spinner45
Incorrect.
The ball race is installed open face UP, and greased fully.[/quote]

If I got it wrong, I apologise.

I've gone through a good few manuals and also looked on the Vintage Radio site for inspiration here, but none of the parts listed in exploded diagrams seem to show this and the decks I've got here (AT6 and later 60mk2) were both worked on before I got them. The later deck has a low friction plastic 'mount' for the balls anyway...
DSJR
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Oldmankac » 13 Sep 2017 18:18

I think I know where the ball bearing came from but I'm still stuck with the arms.
Oldmankac

Philippines

Postby Spinner45 » 13 Sep 2017 19:55

DSJR wrote:[quote="Spinner45
Incorrect.
The ball race is installed open face UP, and greased fully.

If I got it wrong, I apologise.

I've gone through a good few manuals and also looked on the Vintage Radio site for inspiration here, but none of the parts listed in exploded diagrams seem to show this and the decks I've got here (AT6 and later 60mk2) were both worked on before I got them. The later deck has a low friction plastic 'mount' for the balls anyway...[/quote]

Consider this, filling a cup with grease, then turning it upside down, eventually the grease will seep out by gravity.
Installing the bearing assembly this way is the same thing.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby A70BBen » 15 Sep 2017 04:15

What looks like a flange at the bottom of the overarm shaft (it is what stops the overarm from pulling out, an is out of focus) should be the removable clip.

The L-shaped plastic record size selector arm is removed by taking off the brass nut screwed onto its shaft.

Take care with the spring that you took off the selector arm. It must be precisely to design specs to work properly, and you can't get them any more except by cannibalizing another Autoslim-based record changer...though millions were made by Garrard over the years.
A70BBen

Postby Oldmankac » 16 Sep 2017 05:17

Finally! Thanks for all the help guys. There was a tiny c clip at the end of the overarm. I also removed the screw as instructed.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
Oldmankac

Philippines

Postby Oldmankac » 17 Sep 2017 04:22

Hahaha. I will keep this post updated on the progress. Next will be cleaning then painting, which I plan to do myself. In hindsight, I should have put the parts in separate containers for easier reassembly.

First, I need to remove the old paint.
Oldmankac

Philippines

Postby A70BBen » 17 Sep 2017 05:45

You should have the most beautiful Autoslim in the world, by the time you're done.
A70BBen

Postby Oldmankac » 17 Sep 2017 09:05

Vintage paint on platter stripped. Next progress will probably be next weekend. Day job keeps interfering.
Attachments
IMG_6383.JPG
IMG_6381.JPG
Oldmankac

Philippines

Postby Oldmankac » 24 Sep 2017 08:35

Not much work done today. Still paint stripping.
Attachments
IMG_6487.JPG
Oldmankac

Philippines

Return to Garrard