Re: The Garrard Story Book

Post by zwarte-romantiek » 16 Dec 2016 18:44

Hi,

any more pictues from the inside?

Niels

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 17 Dec 2016 16:10

I don't have mine (a paid-for copy, I have no financial interest, and besides, this publication is a family enterprise and I would not dream of freeloading) as yet. But others who have, say there are lots of good pictures.

Posting them here on a copyrighted website would be a copyright violation, anyway.

zwarte-romantiek

Post by zwarte-romantiek » 17 Dec 2016 18:53

Hi,

Free loading is not on my mind. Just want to see more to decide if I am gonna buy it or not. Like wenn I am in a bookshop and see I book which I like. I open it read some papers and the decide if I am gonna buy it.
I never free load anything, like music for instance, I also want the real thing / hard copy.

I love my books on Thorens and DUAL.

Niels

zwarte-romantiek

Post by zwarte-romantiek » 22 Dec 2016 19:28

Hi,

I got my copy of the book in today. Very quick and perfect shipping. Beautifil softcover.

Here are some quick pictures to get enthusiatic and BUY!

Niels

hi_torq

Post by hi_torq » 22 Dec 2016 23:21

Does it mention in any detail the SP25 series, Type A and Lab 80?

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 07 Jan 2017 23:56

About the SP25, not much specifically, though the Autoslim chassis gets attention. There is a full article by Edmund Mortimer about the Lab 80 and another about the SL95, also about Garrard electric motors, production techniques for the Garrard 401 and the Autoslim series (which includes the SP25), and servicing tips for household and high quality record players.

I received mine (a fully paid-for copy...I have no connection with the family other than through contact in Internet forums)...several days ago.

The book is a good read and easily worth the price. Few other big audio companies could have had their stories told by someone as close to the "action" through as much of company history as Garrard. Fortunately we have the memoirs of Edmund Mortimer, who assembled the very first Garrard in 1919 and remained there until his retirement around 1970. By then his son Brian was a key Garrard employee, remaining until Garrard had been sold to the Brazilian company Gradiente, and he oversaw setting up production lines there (after which he was sacked). Both have a not inconsiderable literacy, which helps bring the company's story to life, from its small beginnings to its peak in 1974 and through its decline.

It's not all about Garrard's triumphs. The major role in Garrard's decline played by Plessey, the electronics conglomerate that bought Garrard as a cash cow but then starved it to death, is told of, too. Of great interest (mentioned above): a series of articles by Edmund Mortimer about Garrard electric motors, the 401 transcription turntable, production of the very popular Autoslim-chassis record changers, the Lab 80 automatic transcription turntable, servicing of household and high quality record players, and the Synchro-Lab 95 auto turntable with its revolutionary induction/synchronous motor, patented by Garrard and licensed worldwide to Dual and the Asians.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 08 Jan 2017 17:22

Mine's ordered as a birthday present. Interesting how Garrard did seem to have great ideas and worked damned hard to make them work for relative pennies. Having had my 86SB, AP76 and Zero 100 in use over the hols, I'm amazed they sound as good as they do, although a motor repair on the 86SB has now endowed it with more vibration (audible through the stylus as a drone) than it had when first made I fear.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 08 Jan 2017 19:20

Most of the text is by Edmund W. Mortimer; he was working on it until his death in 1985. He was apparently modest about his role in the company, apparently being the "brains" at Garrard. In 1919 as an apprentice he participated in building the company's first products. He principally designed the first Garrard record changer on his home workbench as a hobby project and was asked to show the boss, H.V. Slade, who immediately saw that the design was patented and refined to the Garrard RC1. Later, he was the force behind several Garrard designs including the 301 and 401, though others invented the famous pusher platform that brought Garrard to its leadership in automatic record changers. His last major innovation was the induction/synchronous motor which not only formed the backbone of a whole generation of Garrards to the very end, but brought in lucrative license fees for its patent. Garrard brought in much revenue over the decades because of its myriad international patents, many of them for inventions by Edmund Mortimer.

DJSR: did your 86SB require recementing of the ceramic magnet on its motor? If so, it may interest you that a possible cause for that failure is also discussed in the book, in the section by Brian E. Mortimer, the quality control manager!

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 09 Jan 2017 17:41

Hi, yes, the original rotor came apart and I carefully glued it back together. I also located another but later motor with the pulley sweated on instead of screwed. I cobbled some parts together (I forget how I did it now) and made a hybrid SL motor which sadly doesn't improve with reduced supply voltage as the Zero 100 seems to have done. Since both the Zero and 86SB use the same motor, I could try either swapping grommets, or even the motors complete perhaps.

P.S. Garrard did originally balance their motors superbly it seems, as there's precious little vibration when a good one is running. It matters not with the 86SB if the belt is on or not, there's some vibration getting through the grommets to the deck itself and hence up through the platter to the stylus.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 14 Jan 2017 19:05

Got my copy today and it's a great read. More about the business decisions behind the ranges than the ranges themselves. Fascinating stuff and it's almost heart-breaking in places...

hi_torq

Post by hi_torq » 08 Aug 2018 15:48

Sorry to drag up this old thread. Not having the book(yet), it occurred to me that there ought to be some mention of the company LAD that took over the last remnants of the Wimbledon operation (which as far as I know was the parts/service centre).

Those LAD products did use some Garrard parts.

I've managed to track down the once-owner of that company (for other reasons), and - if not already - he should be invited to write the final chapter in the Garrard story for any reprints that may run.

Just my thoughts....

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 08 Aug 2018 23:58

I know nothing of these pro? decks but a few long term posters on other UK audio forums seem to know them. Didn't one model have a jelco 750-esque tonearm fitted to it? S'cuse my otherwise ignorance here...