Garrard sp25 with build in amp

the jewel in the crown
scubacomp

Garrard sp25 with build in amp

Post by scubacomp » 04 Mar 2016 11:45

Garrard and amp.jpg
Garrard SP25 MKII with amplifier
(94.63 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
I recently bought a Garrard SP25 MKII with build in amplifier for only 10 Euros. I have really no idea what type it is and can´t find anything on the internet about this turntable/amp.
I replaced the lightbulb and the needle: it plays perfectly.
I have no intention to sell this beauty, but will add it to my vintage audio collection.
Maybe someone recognizes this turnatable with amplifier? I would like to know.....
Attachments
Garrard2.jpg
Garrard SP25 MKII with amplifier. Notice the switch panel.... (you can hide it)
(82.16 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

Tinus1980
Netherlands

Re: Garrard sp25 with build in amp

Post by Tinus1980 » 21 Jun 2019 08:23

Hello Scubacomp,

Your post is close to 3 years old but I need to reply. I've picked up an almost identical record player. According to the seller it doesn't work at all and that is right up my alley. Have you found out anything yet about this deck?

Kind regards,

Tinus

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 21 Jun 2019 21:41

Hello Tinus1980,

I can't offer any information about the unit as a whole other than it's a branded Garrard record player, certainly not a model/design I've ever seen.
I can however tell you that the fitted turntable looks like a Garrard SP25 mk.II, which I believe was released around the mid sixties (1966?), replaced by the mk.III in about 1972/3.
There are service manuals and user instructions for many of the SP25's here in the VE library:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/garrard/sp-25.shtml

Good luck with fixing it.

Paul

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 22 Jun 2019 07:45

SP25 III was around in 1970 I recall - just - but the mk2 was a worthy model and something I aspired to when growing up - it had a kind of 'laboratory' look to it I seemed to feel (counterweights and cast platter top) and it wasn't hugely expensive - I barely knew the top Garrards in the mid 60's.

Good luck with the restoration. Loads of info here and on the UK Vintage Radio site as regards restoring the deck itself (it's mostly dried up lubricants, as the mechanism itself is pretty darned reliable and long lived), but as to the amp I've no idea, although I suspect most solid state or valved amps back then at this level may well be pretty straightforward. Look at electrolytic capacitors first perhaps, as some seem to last forever and others - dont...

Tinus1980
Netherlands

Post by Tinus1980 » 22 Jun 2019 09:10

Thanks for the replies. It has a solid state amp that needs fixing. I'm going to measure all electrolites and probably replace them all. There are some heavily corroded fuses. Replacing them might shed some light on the rest of the components.
I kinda was hoping for a valve- amp. But solidstate might be easier.

Until next time

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 22 Jun 2019 14:20

Cheap low cost valve amps as fitted to many 'record players,' - no....... High quality 'bling-fi' valve amps with hundreds of quids worth of iron in the output transformers for less bass distortion and a story to tell - maybe ;)

Tinus1980
Netherlands

Post by Tinus1980 » 03 Jul 2019 09:54

Hello to all,

After cleaning up old grease and replacing some bad transistors I'm quite surprised by the sound of this deck. I my honest opinion I have to say that it sound great. I've placed a Shure M75ED cartridge and that results in a rich and detailed sound.

Kind regards,

Tinus

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 03 Jul 2019 10:31

An original ED stylus is totally beyond an SP25 and related models really, which can't track properly as low as 1.25g no matter how well set up they are - been there and done it.. Tracking higher causes the stylus cantilever to all but collapse on its suspension and this will increase distortion as will the down-tilted tonearm VTA with a 'sharp' elliptical stylus. Modern pattern styli may well have lower 'compliance' and may well track nearer to 2g, but when I tried an original Shure 75-ED in an SP25 (I've had II and III in my past times) decades ago, it wasn't a happy combination and stability and tracking wasn't good.

It may be boring, but an AT95E (or Thakker EPO-E) is probably as far as I'd take it really and I have used a 95E in an SP25 II in the past.

Sorry, I don't mean to lecture..

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 04 Jul 2019 03:57

These days there are not a lot of original Shure M75ED left. Most replacement styli currently available are for heavier-tracking versions of the M75, are marketed as "one size for all," but do fit the ED version perfectly, and work better in an SP25 Mk II, which is the single-play sibling of the AT60 record changer, tracking at about 2.5 grammes.

Tinus1980
Netherlands

Post by Tinus1980 » 04 Jul 2019 09:33

I really don't know whether the stylus is an original one or not, but for me, it works very well. The cartridge was laying around for quite some time on the attic.
Today, I'm receiving some vintage Philips EG0417 speakers and I'm curious how they sound together. They definitely look great together I think.
Attachments
eg0417.jpg
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 04 Jul 2019 11:33

If the stylus is black with gold 'Shure' and 'ED' 'T2' printed on the front it, it's original. Later 'Encore' ones had fat cantilevers but still the high compliance and 1.25g tracking.

Pattern Shure styli all vary I gather. I have here a pattern replacement (nicely ground and polished naked diamond, black 'dot' on the cantilever underside but cylindrical magnet and possibly no tie-wire) and this won't track high level sibilance to save its life at 1.5g and has a higher output and lively tone that the original moderated to an extent. I'll dig it out and try again, as the hf distortion may possibly have been phono stage related....