Garrard 440M Speed selector REallY stuck!

the jewel in the crown
premier72
United States of America

Garrard 440M Speed selector REallY stuck!

Post by premier72 » 17 Dec 2015 22:13

Hello, I am needing some help on getting the speed lever to move on the 440M. It is stuck in 33/12 position. I have followed the linkage and everything is clean and free? It will move just a little but something is really stopping it. It doesn't feel like a grease issue. It appears to be stuck where I can't see it under the tone arm. Other than this it plays perfect. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

A70BBen

Re: Garrard 440M Speed selector REallY stuck!

Post by A70BBen » 19 Dec 2015 06:10

Believe me, it is a grease issue; and the part that causes the problem is not even listed in the Garrard service manual for the Unimech models (the Garrard 6-300 service manual; that model's mechanism is essentially the same as the 440).

That's because it is part of the Pickup Base Assembly, P/N 78073, Reference No. 131 in the exploded diagram in that service manual. It is a lever that is riveted to the Pickup Base Assembly, and which is supposed to rotate on that rivet. But guess what? It was lubricated at the factory with Garrard's infamous grease, which eventually goes the way of all Garrard grease...it hardens. The area where that part can be serviced is difficult to access, requiring a major stripdown to properly service it. I have to admit that the last time I encountered this problem, I took the lazy way out, spraying the area with a penetrating solvent (Butyl Cellosolve) and pushing the lever with a long, thin screwdriver to get it to move so the solvent could get in and do its work, after which I put a few drops of oil there; otherwise the mechanism would have seized up after the Butyl Cellosolve evaporated. Best way to get at it that way is from the rear, but it's still not easy. Heck, it's not easy to even SEE in there.

This was for a 42M that I still own. I would never use this shortcut on someone else's unit.

I suspect that most of the Unimech chassis units that were built have succumbed to this problem and have been junked or thrown out. The earlier Autoslim chassis models were far superior to the Unimechs, whose main "attraction" must have been that they were cheap to build. The Unimechs were based on a cheap minichanger design with no pretensions to high fidelity, only low cost. But Garrard marketed the Unimechs in versions that pretended to be serious, hi-fi automatic turntables, even though the clunky, stiff, balky controls remained the same throughout the line, as did the difficulty in servicing them.

thealmightyjohn

Post by thealmightyjohn » 28 Jul 2017 13:39

A70BBen wrote:Believe me, it is a grease issue.
A heartfelt THANK YOU from this vinyl noob! All hail A70BBen!!

I want to reach out through the interwebs and kiss you right now! I never would have believed this was a grease issue unless I had experienced it myself. I have a decent amount of experience with many different kinds of equipment, but never was I so wrong as to the source of a problem. Thanks to your description, I had the guts to probe a little further, and use a bit more force than I felt comfortable using. AND IT WORKED!

After much inspection and a lot of poking and prodding, I identified the exact part you referred to as the source of my stuck speed selector. However, I would have sworn that due to the "feel" of how it was stuck, that there was some type of metal obstruction (either a latch/pin that wasn't releasing, or two metal parts interfering). After reading your description 3 or 4 times I decided to swab some solvent in/around the area in question, and give the part some elbow grease. The first time the selector POPPED into a different position, my joy was palpable. Once I knew it really was a grease issue I went at it full force with some penetrating oil, working the mechanism for several minutes. Don't be fooled, even with it now moving it was still like pulling teeth each time I tried to move it from it's forward most position, to the rear most. My fingers were aching by the time I was done. Also note - I was not using the plastic lever to do the bulk of the pushing, as I think it would fail; I was using my finger to push on the metal arm itself, where it attaches to the plastic lever. After I felt it was sufficiently free, I added some lithium grease to the mechanism (don't hate me if this is wrong. It's what I had on hand and I'm inpatient - but I'm open to education).

While the mechanism is still clunky, and requires more force than I would like (feels like I'm going to break it every time), at lease I can now play the 45's I just picked up at the thrift store.

As a nice little bonus, the autoplay is now working consistently too. Somehow it's operation was tied up into that same assembly.

On another note, I was trying to figure out how I would get that assembly out, if I wanted to tackle a full refurb. Any idea? It appears that most of the components disassemble downward, out of the bottom. However that tone arm assembly has screws holding it together that are facing upward, but are under the top plastic tray (hard to explain). Does the entire tone arm have to be disassembled from the top, to allow the lower mechanism to release out of the bottom?

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 29 Jul 2017 02:31

A one word answer after the tome I wrote before:

YES.

Download the service manual for Garrard 6-300 on this site. It has the step-by-step for complete disassembly (same mechanism ax the 440). After you read it, you may understand why so many Unimechs have been junked.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 30 Jul 2017 04:50

Followup: I just had a reason to go where the Garrard 42M (the one where I short-cut the fix, not taking it apart) is stored. The speed selector is still moving...clunky as they always are, but moving and working. It was fixed in Spring 2015 (the above post about it was in December 2015) so it has remained fixed for over two years...mostly not in use, not being "exercised." This doesn't sound like anything special because one could, at one time, expect Garrard record changers to have no problems for many years, but some Unimechs did have issues within only two years!

Nahannidog
United States of America

Post by Nahannidog » 01 Sep 2019 18:12

A70BBen wrote:
19 Dec 2015 06:10
Believe me, it is a grease issue; and the part that causes the problem is not even listed in the Garrard service manual for the Unimech models (the Garrard 6-300 service manual; that model's mechanism is essentially the same as the 440).

That's because it is part of the Pickup Base Assembly, P/N 78073, Reference No. 131 in the exploded diagram in that service manual. It is a lever that is riveted to the Pickup Base Assembly, and which is supposed to rotate on that rivet.
Reviving the thread, my 440 has the same symptoms. Wondering if you are referring the the link partially shown in the exploded diagram just below actually identified part #127 near the Pickup Base Assembly #131? On my 440 turntable, the link is partially visible, gold-colored steel, and appears to be pinned to the plastic Speed/Size Control Link #21

If that's the usual culprit, I see that steel link moving maybe 5 degrees as I attempt to move the speed selector away from 33/12". The portion I can see is covered in soft grease. Still sound like the same problem?

Thanks!!

BTW, I'm wondering/trying-to-remember if there might be some certain conditions where speed changing is allowed, e.g. platen must be turning.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 02 Sep 2019 06:20

At least on my 42M and 770, the only two Unimech Garrards I own, here are no restrictions as to when speed changing is allowed; there is nothing to block doing so, as exists on the Garrard 301/401. It is best, however, to do it when the unit has switched off automatically, as this prevents damage to the idler wheel by being moved while the unit is running.

The lever that gives the worst problem is the one you refer to...but the one with the U-shaped opening in it needs to move freely, too. Both are indicated by red arrows on the attached image.
6-300 partial Capture.JPG
(95.2 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Unfortunately, I cannot access my 42M right now. I need a ladder to get to it, and due to an injury to my right leg, I can't use a ladder at present.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 02 Sep 2019 10:20

I have to butt in and ask - Was this mech REALLY cheaper to produce than the Autoslim type? I do remember seeing the 'donor' CC10 baby changer a lot in the mid 70's, but by the time the larger Unimech models came along, I was working in a top end HiFi store and even the top model GT55 of the time plus later solid-plinth GT models were being sniffed at due to sloppy feel compared to the cheapest jap made decks we were flooded with by then, the few Unimechs I used so frail feeling and sloppy I feared for their reliability even when new. The 4 pole and derived synchro lab motors seemed to lose their lower screening shield plates and their pulleys were heat-sweated on as well by the end. Such a shame...

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 02 Sep 2019 15:48

I understood that the Unimech were cheaper to produce because the mechanical subassembly could be put together en masse at workbenches. The assembly line became shorter, since the individual little parts did not have to be assembled to the chassis one-by-one. Garrard were able to use the same mechanism from the cheap minichanger to single play units which were marketed in the UK as being above the SP25 level, and in the USA where the Model 70 automatic was claimed to be "every bit the equal of the (prior year's) SL72B"...which was totally false. Unfortunately the Unimech mechanism was cheap and clunky and the sloppy plastic levers needed to make it operable in a full sized record changer chassis made it more so. Unimech was the product of Plessey cost-cutting and it ultimately failed. Garrard lost sales and in the end, the 1960 Autoslim chassis remained in production until, and after, the sale of Garrard and its move to Brazil. And with the advent of belt drive, the Autoslim was converted to that system, the Unimech was not.

Nahannidog
United States of America

Post by Nahannidog » 02 Sep 2019 22:01

A70BBen wrote:
02 Sep 2019 06:20
The lever that gives the worst problem is the one you refer to...but the one with the U-shaped opening in it needs to move freely, too. Both are indicated by red arrows on the attached image.

I need a ladder to get to it, and due to an injury to my right leg, I can't use a ladder at present.
Hope your leg heals quickly! Well, I think you've helped heal my 440M, got the speed/size changer to move. I was a little upside down, the link(in the mechanical sense, aka lever) I saw move initially ~5 degrees was your right-arrow link. Finally got a glimpse of your left arrow link. I'm assuming left-arrow was the sticky one.

Here's a simplified version of the exploded parts diagram (I hope the hosted images will show, they don't in preview). I called right-arrow link 131.1 and left-arrow link 131.2. Added alphabetical labels to designate pivot points.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bgf1_ ... NJ3Fwd_Xgh

And here's my attempt at explaining the functions of all the pertinent components.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SYSWgJ ... sp=sharing

Do you agree with my present assessment of how the mechanism works? I noticed the the cam profile in link 131.1 (I called it the Pi link, as cam profile looks like a capital Greek letter Pi) is badly worn, all the plating scraped clean, and a burr raised on the edge. I'm thinking the wear contributes to the stickiness.

OOPS, looks like images don't post (suggestions?). Here are links to images
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bgf1_ ... NJ3Fwd_Xgh

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SYSWg ... Z3WkfpL1Yb