Garrard Lab 80s

the jewel in the crown
A70BBen

Re: Garrard Lab 80s

Post by A70BBen » 17 Mar 2014 21:07

On one that I serviced long ago (1980s?), I had to place a washer such that the pot metal cam that operates the spindle would pull down the "inner support" a little more.

badhuis

Post by badhuis » 09 Nov 2014 21:58

Great to see this forum post about the Lab 80.
I have found a Lab 80 which hopefully I am going to buy next Sunday. It seems the machine is in good order, although the seller says it probably needs some servicing because of years of non-use. The pictures show a nice ensemble with a wooden dust top (not sure if it called that).
What is interesting is that the plinth is not a standard one but it says "ARENA --- LAB80" on a wide full length aluminium plate.
I have found somewhere that Arena was a Danish make of ? plinths or whatever, and fitted different kind of makes of turn tables. It was a high end make according to the one information.

http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0M ... X/$_85.JPG

http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0M ... c/$_85.JPG

What changes are needed to create the Mk2 functionality of auto-playing one record?

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 10 Nov 2014 20:56

Can't answer the last question for you, but in the UK we had 'Bush Arena' systems, with a very reasonable receiver range and the turntable in my day being an AP76 with Goldring G800E fitted. I expect there were speakers and cassette machines to finish the system, but my memories are sketchy beyond the solid AP76 plinths (Garrard really started to downgrade the plinths as time went on, although the funky looking 'Module' bases were nice looking, if nothing else.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 19 Nov 2014 06:37

The conversion to single-play automatic with the short spindle is quite involved. It requires changing quite a few parts underneath the Lab 80. I've done it but only because I was able to get a Lab 80 Mk II that had a badly bent chassis, beyond practical repair; so I could take parts off it. The process has been written about in a couple of other forums (AudioKarma's "Lab 80 Obsession" thread). Can't post directly here; it is someone else's work.

badhuis

Post by badhuis » 20 Nov 2014 09:23

Thanks for the answers.
I got the Lab 80 home. B the looks of it it is a late Mk1 with the Mk2 arm. I have also found an auto spindler.
Very happy with the TT!

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 20 Nov 2014 21:21

Like Duals, this particular Garrard can be highly addictive and that tonearm works just fine with many modern cartridges too, such as Ortofon OM/500/VM (the 2M screws from above so cannot be used with a stock headshell), Sumiko Pearl and AT91/95E/110e and possibly the AT120E-II (the 'proper' 120E is a little too unstable on 'ripply' records although the arm with fettled trip levers/linkages will track at 1.25g to side end).

Slipped Disc
United States of America

Post by Slipped Disc » 01 Oct 2019 04:27

I grew up with a Lab 80 I the 60's -80's and recently picked one in a thrift store for a real deal and boy are the memories flooding back...and I haven't even hooked it up yet. I removed the platter just for the heck of it, just starting to feel my way around. Downloaded the manual and am getting ready to tinker with it. Unengaged, the platter spins quietly for well over a minute. Plugged in, the auto mode does not function property, arms lifts but will not complete the cueing cycle. Manual mode seems to be OK with the exception of incomplete return cycle. The arm picks up and returns to starting position when in the 45 RPM mode, but won't drop to it's final resting position. When in 33 1/3 the arm picks up at the end of play but does not have enough angular momentum to finish the return and craps out about 1/2 way through the return cycle. I guess I will start by lubing the idler wheel bearing and top motor bearing to see it that may help. Any suggestions or pointers are welcome.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 04 Oct 2019 00:24

It is stalling in midcycle, probably for two reasons: a slipping idler wheel, and dried, stiff grease that is dragging down the rotation of the main cam hear and stiffening the action of the many levers and other moving parts. A thorough servicing is probably required, as one would expect of machinery that is over a half century old.

3L6research2
United States of America

Post by 3L6research2 » 10 Oct 2019 20:30

I've just finished giving my Lab80 (late model) Mk.1 some long overdue TLC: replaced and lubed the turntable spindle bearings, replaced the tonearm wires, cleaned and re-lubed the cam gear and cam and generally cleaned, oiled, lubed any parts that had hardened, black, old grease stuck on them.

All seems to work well but …… I lost the turntable platter circlip (#53176) somewhere in the process.

Does anyone have a source for a replacement clip?

Or should I just go to a hardware store and buy a generic C-clip for what appears to be about a 7/16" shaft?

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 12 Oct 2019 16:27

If the one you lost is the large, blued steel one... I run mine without it. Really, it is there to prevent the heavy platter from falling off if the unit is turned sideways or upside down! You are supposed to remove both it and the platter for transport, anyway. The one from the Type A, A70, RC88 is the same.

The replacement for the small circlip on the monrotating inner shaft is non-critical. Whatever fits and won't rub on the rotating part of the centre spindle is fine. I have even bent one up from thin spring wire, being careful that it didn't rub. The one from the inner spindle of the Type A, etc. differs and will not work.