Garrard Zero 100 tonearm

the jewel in the crown
tiger tiger

Garrard Zero 100 tonearm

Post by tiger tiger » 05 Sep 2008 00:40

Hi, everybody!
I am new on board. Just got Garrard Zero 100 - reaally impressed by its sound... And I believe it would sound much better if I can find out a way to exchange the oil in tonearm bearing. I mean the tonearm doesn't move freely enough horizontally and considered the age of the unit... So if someone has any expirience on the subject please help with advice and hints.
Unfortunately, I have no access to professional Garrard service.

teac4010

Post by teac4010 » 21 Sep 2008 04:41

I'm playing with a zero 100 now and have found that certain pivot points and linkages need some new lube. Try some light machine oil on the bearing shaft. Mine is now working fine, great TT, and ZERO Tracking error, is that important? :D :D Regards.

tiger tiger

Post by tiger tiger » 23 Sep 2008 18:06

Sure it is :) I also feel that the bearings need some oil, but I have very limited expirience in the area. Should I disassemble the tonearm ( or some parts of it)? Sorry, if this is stupid Q :oops:

teac4010

Post by teac4010 » 24 Sep 2008 02:21

Dis-assembly is not required, usually. A few drops on the shaft and then numerous back and forth movements will work the oil down the shaft and "free it", most of the time. Sometimes, using a hairdryer to heat the shaft helps, not too much though. Ahhhh.... the beauty of metal. :D There may be other places this technique could improve the operation of your antique metal TT. :wink: Regards.

tiger tiger

Post by tiger tiger » 24 Sep 2008 18:37

Thanks a lot for your professional advice. And... there are 4 "moving points" in this tonearm and I can hardly imagine "inner" design of those two connected to the shell... do you mean all of them can be oiled this way or this hint works only for main shaft?

teac4010

Post by teac4010 » 24 Sep 2008 22:31

Not a pro, just an old tinkerer.

For what it's worth, the original Garrard Zero 100 marketing notes say,

"Advanced Pivotry for Minimal Friction - The extremely low - in fact, negligible friction - which is essential to this concept, has been achieved with costly, precision-loaded ball bearings, and a free-floating universal pivot. ............. they are purchased from an outside manufacturer specializing entirely in the design and construction of pivots for gyroscopes and other space-age equipment".

For sure, no oil on the pivots (called pivots 2,3,and 4), maybe the main shaft (called pivot one) as we discussed. Hard to believe the pivots are tight unless damaged. :( Regards.

PS: tracking error on the Zero 100 arm is 90 seconds vs 4 degrees on a conventional arm. No one with the big buck arms has much to say about that. :)

tiger tiger

Post by tiger tiger » 26 Sep 2008 07:28

Report: After putting an oil on the main shaft ( I used spare oil from Audio Note TT1) my Garrard improved performance :) ( much less harshy trebles and tighter bass) so it really works 8) and... Thanks a lot! . You are right - this shell design is real fun 8) .

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 26 Sep 2008 10:05

I always thought the Garrard zero arm was a superb bit of engineering and very thought out. Never quite understood why more manufacturers never took this route.

My brother had one back in the 80's(?) and side by side with his Thorens/AT set up it trounced it on sonic performance.

Good luck with your zero's chaps and enjoy. Classical bit of kit.

teac4010

Post by teac4010 » 26 Sep 2008 14:13

tiger tiger wrote:- this shell design is real fun 8) .
I think Garrard "missed the boat" on the cartridge mechanical/electrical mounting/connection scheme, which I'm sure contributed to the eventual demise of the arm. Only a skilled tech with proper equipment can successfully solder the cartridge leads to the shell contacts without "overheating some plastic". :cry: Regards.

tiger tiger

Post by tiger tiger » 27 Sep 2008 07:14

[quote= I think Garrard "missed the boat" on the cartridge mechanical/electrical mounting/connection scheme quote]
and not only Garrard used that flipsy type of connectors - who cares of 30 years ahead service :(

jdbooth
United States of America

Re: Garrard Zero 100 tonearm

Post by jdbooth » 19 May 2019 19:49

I have taken my father's Zero 100 out of the closet where it has not been used since the early 90's. I verified everything moved freely before I put power to it and start it up. Everything was a bit sluggish but free.

I plugged it in and put on an old scratched up LP. in starting it I found out three things: 1) The platter spun slowly at first and slowed down and even stopped at key points in it's play sequence. 2) It needed a new stylus for its Shure T2 cartridge. 3) The tonearm worked good except when it came time to stop either at the end of play or Auto Stop the arm did not settle back onto the rest and stop. Instead it continued as if the changer had dropped another record and moved to the starting position on the record.

For the first problem I found that the Intermediate Wheel was hard and shiny on the OD. I could have used some rubber restore to try and renew the rubber, but instead decided to send it off for a refurbished wheel. It is still out in snail mail land. The motor may also be tired and need replacing, but will not Know until the new wheel returns.

I purchased a new Shure needle and verified it worked.

As far as the tonearm, I believe whatever is the problem its in the mechanism of the tonearm itself. I cleaned and lubricated all the clockworks on the turntable except the tonearm assembly. I would have removed and revitalized it except that it looked too delicate especially the wires. They look like that are single strand wires.

Does anyone know why this is happening with the tonearm?

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 22 May 2019 17:57

Having delved into four Zero 100's those experiences have shown that the cartridge slide wires and tonearm wires often had degraded solder connections making them fragile.

They can break off easily from minimal manipulation. Just a touch in some cases was all it took.

jdbooth
United States of America

Post by jdbooth » 27 May 2019 00:48

I have fixed it. It was a lever under the Platter that I thought shouldn't move because it didn't. I had to add heat to it to get it off. Anyways I cleaned it and lubricated it and now the TT runs perfectly except one thing; just as you have mentioned. Yes, the wires and there solder joints are old and weak. Two of the head shell sled's solder joints just detached cleanly away from the contact surface. I had to buy a refurbished one.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 27 May 2019 01:29

The actual weakness is the anticorrosive plating. The solder bond to the plating is often stronger than that of the plating to the base metal. The plating peels off the base metal which is a springy alloy.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 27 May 2019 11:21

Garrard never lubricated the tonearm pivots and didn't need to.

A wonderful conversation piece but really, the arm design is totally irrelevant subjectively as other factors come into play as regards audible tracing distortion, accepting the fact these arms aren't very 'long' in effective length.

Nice to keep them going though.