Garrard RC 98 4/L and 4HF pitch control DRIFT

the jewel in the crown
rexation

Garrard RC 98 4/L and 4HF pitch control DRIFT

Post by rexation » 21 Jan 2020 17:56

This question is about the speed control on the above Garrard turntables. I have two RC 98's that I have cleaned up and returned to playing condition. The motors are lubricated and the idler wheels are in good shape. The pitch controls on both machines [the same as on the 4HF] work properly, but both tables suffer from speed drift. If run for 1/2 hour or longer, they increase in speed, forcing you to gradually adjust the speed control to compensate, until you have no more movement available. They never seem to settle into a constant speed. I also have an RC88 [without the pitch control], and while it runs a bit fast, the speed does not drift.

I am playing 78's on them most of the time, and except for the speed issue, they are very nice machines for vintage material.

Since the rheostat seems to function properly on both, I'm wondering if the resistors could be at fault? The control is quite hot on both, and both have the metal Garrard base, which also makes me wonder if they run too hot in that metal cabinet.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, did you find a solution?

R

A70BBen

Re: Garrard RC 98 4/L and 4HF pitch control DRIFT

Post by A70BBen » 22 Jan 2020 00:16

Resistance in the control changes with heat buildup. Also it was common for those units to finally wind up at correct speed or a bit faster at the slowest setting when playing one record. Allowances had to be made for spinning a stack of up to ten 78rpm records.