AT6 MK II identification

the jewel in the crown
sumo guy
United States of America

AT6 MK II identification

Post by sumo guy » 15 Jan 2020 18:49

I have a 1964 Fisher D-39 Diplomat II console that came with a Garrard AT6 turntable.The circular badge by the controls says AT6 MK II

How do I know if mine is a MK II or a Mk IIa?
Attachments
IMG_20200114_225000.jpg
(145.84 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
IMG_20200114_225017.jpg
(111 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: AT6 MK II identification

Post by DSJR » 15 Jan 2020 21:45

No idea really, but maybe the grey deck plate and more stylish platter mat and trim. Mine is beige, with older style mat and deck suspension. I'm also wondering when the main platter bearing was revised in diameter along with the auto and manual spindles that fitted into it.

sumo guy
United States of America

Post by sumo guy » 17 Jan 2020 19:06

Looking at the owners manual for the AT6 it shows 2 spring suspension screws that are not present on my plinth. Also the platter and mat do not look like mine.

Looking at the owners manual for the AT6 MK IIA the platter and mat to not look like mine either.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 17 Jan 2020 19:26

I've seen AT6's with that platter though and this style carried on to the late 60's at least (I'm sure I've seen 3000's with this mat style).

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 19 Jan 2020 02:45

It can get confusing, as "AT6 Mk II" differs among UK, Australian and USA markets. In the USA the differences from the original series AT6 were the spring suspension, mat, badge and colour. In UK and as far as I know Australia, some AT6 MkII had the antiskate of the AT60, besides the cosmetic changes. Neither had the larger spindle base, heavy cast platter, Delrin trip slider insert, or cutaway shell (though that was easily interchanged). Subject to correction, as I do not have a large enough sample size yo be sure (I live in the USA).

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 19 Jan 2020 02:50

It can get confusing, as "AT6 Mk II" differs among UK, Australian and USA markets. In the USA the differences from the original series AT6 were the spring suspension, mat, badge and colour. In UK and as far as I know Australia, the AT6 MkIIa had the antiskate of the AT60, besides the cosmetic changes. Neither had the larger spindle base, heavy cast platter, Delrin trip slider insert, or cutaway shell (though that was easily interchanged). Subject to correction, as I do not have a large enough sample size to be sure (I live in the USA).

The AT6 MkIIa was clearly identified on the badge as such.

The AT6 MkIIa was not imported to the USA.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 19 Jan 2020 08:25

Further: I looked at some photos of Garrard AT6 Mk IIa, from the UK. They came with at least three types of platter mat. All have the tonearm rest and clip of the AT60 and they DO have the cutaway shell (correction to what I said in the prior post). They thus appear to be an "almost AT60" but have the lighter, steel platter of the older AT6. I cannot tell which type of spindles they use; the older ones like the original AT6 or the later type as on AT60 and newer.

Here is a photo of the AT6 MkIIa badge.
AT6 Mk IIA badge (2).jpg
(142.09 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

sumo guy
United States of America

Post by sumo guy » 20 Jan 2020 15:23

A70BBen wrote:
19 Jan 2020 08:25
Further: I looked at some photos of Garrard AT6 Mk IIa, from the UK. They came with at least three types of platter mat. All have the tonearm rest and clip of the AT60 and they DO have the cutaway shell (correction to what I said in the prior post). They thus appear to be an "almost AT60" but have the lighter, steel platter of the older AT6. I cannot tell which type of spindles they use; the older ones like the original AT6 or the later type as on AT60 and newer.

Here is a photo of the AT6 MkIIa badge.

AT6 Mk IIA badge (2).jpg
Thank you for your help, I think you have it pinned down for me that I have a Mk II. I was never able to find a picture of a MK IIa badge so I wondered if the "A" was even designated on the badge or just a minor engineering change.

Mine has the tonearm rest but no clip and the tall (M7?) headshell.

Now I just need to track down the AT6 Mk II manual so I can correctly identify my adjustment points. I'm trying to figure out why I have very low volume on the Right channel of the turntable and need to rule out too much anti-skate force (if it even has an adjustment for that). I will start a separate thread for that.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 20 Jan 2020 23:55

The anti-skate on later versions of your deck was visual to be honest and not that effective in the >1970 models too - your deck has no anti-skate so it's all down to lateral bearing friction and drag - you can still go down to 2g tracking (just) assuming everything else in the mechanism and linkages are perfectly serviced although 2.5 - 3g is safer. Low volume is an electrical thing in the amp or connectors, or faulty cartridge if all else looks ok. Do we know what cartridge is fitted? If a ceramic or crystal type, these things can fail or go off after nearly sixty years. Magnetic types usually fail on one channel completely in my experience. Wiring from deck to amp can go off as it may not have been that great when new. Tonearm wiring's not too bad I believe but worth checking the headshell cables and connectors.

Plenty of pics please - and if the deck hasn't been serviced, you'll know what to do if you read enough threads here :D