No Power

the jewel in the crown
Olddeck
England

No Power

Post by Olddeck » 04 Jan 2020 16:56

HI, just joined this site.

I have a Garrard GT35P deck since new. The other day on auto reject, it just stopped dead with the arm left in the air unable to lower it. On/off switch did not work. I'm just wondering if anyone can throw any light on the problem. I checked the fuse, ok. plugged in and turned off and on a few times, no go. Then after leaving for a while it worked. I think the cable is ok.

I may have caused this myself by putting on a Dina Ross & The Suppemes record on which I found hanging about. With the return of power I spinned Bats out of Hell, and now all is working. But is the problem likely to return?

Also wondering if anyone knows where one can buy a dust bug in the UK as mine went long ago. Also where one can get some oil for the drive system.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: No Power

Post by lenjack » 04 Jan 2020 18:08

The power cord might have an intermittent break. Next time it happens, wiggle the cord, and see what happens.

Olddeck
England

Post by Olddeck » 04 Jan 2020 19:27

Thanks for your reply. I did think of that but it seems ok to me.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 05 Jan 2020 22:42

My GT35 quit due to an open power transformer primary. A very fine wire, thinner than a human hair, had broken. Fortunately the break was not within the coil...it was between the coil and the solder terminals...so a repair was possible.

Olddeck
England

Post by Olddeck » 06 Jan 2020 08:00

Thanks for your reply, it did not mean much to me as I don't know much about it, but very useful to know as a possible if it happens again as something to look in to.

S.J.

Post by S.J. » 12 Jan 2020 09:32

A70BBen, yes thanks for your response! I have exactly the same problem! One of the very fine wires emerging from one of the coils has snapped. I am going to look at it today and attempt a repair.
Can you offer any advice as to how to solder such a THIN wire? So frustrating because the rest of the deck (its a 40100 is immaculate!

thanks SJ.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 15 Jan 2020 02:47

I rigged up a jig of sorts, embedding the thin wires in bits of plasticene so the broken ends were touching (had to carefully pull one of them to get a mm or so of overlap). Then I used a hot soldering iron and placed a drop of solder where the wires overlapped, so they got joined. Probably I had scraped the enamel off the wires to bare copper with a razor blade first. That restored the connection electrically, but I then reinforced it with several costs of model.airplane glue.

It was tedious and took all of my skill in working with small parts!