Garrard Zero 100 International rotation of platter is not stable

the jewel in the crown
Flouy
Germany

Garrard Zero 100 International rotation of platter is not stable

Post by Flouy » 29 Dec 2019 13:21

Hello,

I have here a Garrad Zero 100 International from my father in bad condition. I am trying to fix it.
The mechanics got stuck. These have been disassembled and cleaned.
The biggest problem is that the platter does not rotate stable. It oscillates. Everything I tried to get it rotate stable was not successful.
I lubed the spindle of the bushing with chainsaw oil and I polished the washers of the ball bearing.
Everything was not successful. I noticed that platter rotates a bit more stable when I give a bit more pressure to the idler wheel. For me the idler wheel seems to be in good condition. It is soft and elastic and not hardened.
One more thing I have noticed is that bushing of the spindle bearing has great play. I don't think that this is normal. The platter on the bearing can really be tilted. For me the bushing seems to be really worn out or is this normal?
When turning the black platter, which is driven by the idler wheel, I can see it going up and down.

So the now my question is, is it worth to spend more time on the Garrard or does it make no more sense and the unit is ready for the garbage can? Or does anyone know here where to get spare parts for this unit, especially the spindle and the bushing?

Sorry for my perhaps bad english. I hope you will understand what I mean.

Greets Florian

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Garrard Zero 100 International rotation of platter is not stable

Post by DSJR » 30 Dec 2019 12:28

The Zero 100 I have, seems to have much closer tolerances on the main bearing sleeves and i think this was carried on to the sister models using much the same parts. I genuinely can't remember, but Dual's main bearing thrust washers have one of the pair with a slightly larger inner 'hole' and this one goes at the top so the lower platter bearing sleeve locates in it. Garrard don't seem to publish data on the exact internals of the main bearing race (I admit I haven't looked hard), but worth checking. Make sure there's still the O ring snug around the bottom of the main spindle which the ball race 'cage' sits on (there's another o ring around the bottom of the platter hub which acts to quieten the mech down when cycling. I'm sure it's possible to replace the bronze sleeves (Lenco used stock sizes in their bearings), but I've never attempted this.

The Zero is a nice deck, if only as a delightful conversation piece. Well worth persevering with it as working properly, it does *sound* very good despite itself...

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 31 Dec 2019 13:38

Yup, a Zero 100is worth trying to save.
When you say oscillation, do you mean speed is varying or is the platter moving up and down while spinning?

I have no play whatsoever on the platter on my Zero.

One (stupid maybe) question: have you checked so that the bearing mount is firmly screwed to the chassi and not sitting loose?
Here's also pics of the platter bearing on my Zero 100 with the parts in the order they're mounted on my deck. Maybe something is missing on your unit?
IMG_20191003_100806.jpg
(103.73 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
IMG_20191003_110115.jpg
(127.87 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 31 Dec 2019 18:23

I'm going to have to look now, as the outer 'cage' in your pictures looks upside down (I'm living with too many dratted Duals - cough :D)

Looking at several service manuals for decks based on this chassis, it does seem as though the top thrust washer is different from the bottom one - PLEASE check this. No mention even on the Zero 100 of a metal 'cage' around the assembly either which I know is there and if memory serves, my later SL95B had this too as I had this and the Dual 1229 alongside each other (one had to give and the Garrard was sold)

Of all my decks for the second system, I have to admit the Zero 100 gives me the most 'fun' in use even if it's not the best 'sounding' of these decks.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 31 Dec 2019 22:01

My turntable assortment now resides where I hope to move in few months. 700 KM away in the middle of nowhere.

To use in the intervening time, I kept back a Thorens TD124 and a Zero 100. The Thorens because I did not wish to subject it to mishandling and the Zero 100 because I enjoy using it.

I could have maintained use of a Dual or Elac but all my 78’s are boxed and awaiting transport.

To me a Zero 100’s is designed such that it is too tempting not to use.

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 01 Jan 2020 02:33

I'm pretty sure that the order in my pictures is correct. It's the way it came apart and the way I put it together after cleaning and relube. The platter spins true, silent and without any play in regards to the bearing spindle.

Yes: I really enjoy spinning vinyl on my Zero 100s! ...even though it's rumbling a bit between tracks and not being the most audiophilic deck in da hood.

But it rocks and that's good enough for me :-) I mean, it's got character and soul in a way that is hard to describe. And is also one of the best looking turntables ever made.

I hope we can help get the OP:s zero sorted.