SP 25 mk 4 - replacing phlint

the jewel in the crown
max987

SP 25 mk 4 - replacing phlint

Post by max987 » 08 Dec 2019 06:58

Hi all,
I got a SP25 mk 4 in a perfectly working condition but with a terrible condition phlint.
I would like to replace it and looking for suggestion/guides/advises to do so since I've never done it before.

I saw Garrard phlints on sale for a very fair price but I have no idea if they will fit.
So several questions:

1. Are phlints from mk2/mk3 will fit my mk4?
2. Will phlints from other TTs can fit?
3. Is it that as simple as unscrewing 4 screws and screwing them in the new phlint?

Any help will be appreciated.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: SP 25 mk 4 - replacing phlint

Post by DSJR » 08 Dec 2019 17:50

The SP25 series are the same fitting and are from the 'Autoslim' family of machines. The very earliest AT6 will have a different spring arrangement but from pretty early on in the 60's, they changed the spring and transit bolt layout to all be the same. ALL SP25's/125SB's should fit the same plinth (this covers early-ish 1960's to mid 1970's at least).

Now, some plinth bases require you to upend and remove the base to get to the transit screws and the tiltable/moveable clips at the bottom of them, but others provide a finger hole to allow you to turn the clips so you can pull the deck straight up and out of the plinth. Look at the various instruction and service manuals on here for any of the 'Autoslim' models. I think pretty well all the SP25's are here in the library, but much of it is covered by the 1000/2000/3000 models and descendants as well as the SL55 and 65 models - I usually recommend the SL65 service manual as it basically covers most of the entire range, if not in some fine details unimportant here.

Difficult for me to explain when a visual in the manual shows it easily, so hopefully with the stuff above you'll see what the heck I'm going on about. As long as these clips aren't totally dislodged on the transit screws, they tilt fully 90 degrees allowing you to pull the deck straight out of it's mounting base/plinth.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 12 Dec 2019 01:40

The later Unimech changers used the same cutout so they interchange, too. But most have probably been junked along with the turntables, which were difficult and expensive to repair and properly maintain.

max987

Post by max987 » 17 Dec 2019 09:41

DSJR wrote:
08 Dec 2019 17:50
The SP25 series are the same fitting and are from the 'Autoslim' family of machines. The very earliest AT6 will have a different spring arrangement but from pretty early on in the 60's, they changed the spring and transit bolt layout to all be the same. ALL SP25's/125SB's should fit the same plinth (this covers early-ish 1960's to mid 1970's at least).

Now, some plinth bases require you to upend and remove the base to get to the transit screws and the tiltable/moveable clips at the bottom of them, but others provide a finger hole to allow you to turn the clips so you can pull the deck straight up and out of the plinth. Look at the various instruction and service manuals on here for any of the 'Autoslim' models. I think pretty well all the SP25's are here in the library, but much of it is covered by the 1000/2000/3000 models and descendants as well as the SL55 and 65 models - I usually recommend the SL65 service manual as it basically covers most of the entire range, if not in some fine details unimportant here.

Difficult for me to explain when a visual in the manual shows it easily, so hopefully with the stuff above you'll see what the heck I'm going on about. As long as these clips aren't totally dislodged on the transit screws, they tilt fully 90 degrees allowing you to pull the deck straight out of it's mounting base/plinth.
Thank you! This is super helpful.