Headshell repairs

the jewel in the crown
amagasakii
Canada

Headshell repairs

Post by amagasakii » 01 Nov 2019 10:04

Me again. :-)

I've discovered one of the contacts/wipers in the headshell of my 40B has snapped right at the bend. When I remove the cartridge sled, rather than springing back, it stays folded flat. The end is still attached, but it's definitely hanging on by a thread. I've circled where the contact has snapped (this one's still intact, obviously).
sled.jpg
(85.59 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
I've used very thin hobby sheet metal to make new contacts for the cartridge sled, but it doesn't have any stiffness or "spring" to it. Any suggestions on what sort of metal I should use?

On my SL-65B, the trim on top of the headshell refuses to remain stuck down, which makes for a bad connection between the wipers and the cartridge carrier contacts.
tape.jpg
(45.73 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
This piece is held down with some sort of super-sticky double-sided fibre tape that's lost its stick at the back. I thought I had reactivated it by heating it up, but a day later it let go again. Anyone have a suggestion for a glue or tape strong enough to keep this piece stuck down, but that I can remove in the future if I need to rewire the tonearm?

Thanks!

amagasakii
Canada

Re: Headshell repairs

Post by amagasakii » 02 Nov 2019 00:13

For gluing down the trim piece, double-sided tape was a failure, but hot glue worked well enough -- verified that I can heat it sufficiently with a hair dryer to loosen it in the future. :-)

amagasakii
Canada

Post by amagasakii » 19 Nov 2019 03:37

For anyone playing along at home, hot glue failed just over two weeks later; I had attempted to keep the old tape/glue in place and just stick down the problem areas. I didn't want to remove the old tape in case I couldn't find a suitable replacement.

Save yourselves the trouble. Remove all the old goo with isopropyl alcohol and use thin double-sided tape. :-)

amagasakii
Canada

Post by amagasakii » 23 Nov 2019 10:04

...aaaaaaaand less than a week later the double-sided tape has let go at the back as well. So far it's just cosmetic; the part behind the finger lift has peeled up, but the contacts are still being held in place.

Somewhere in my travels I read "if you have a Garrard at least you're always busy fixing something". Keeps me happy! :)

amagasakii
Canada

Post by amagasakii » 06 Dec 2019 09:05

One loss, one possible win

Loss: Broken contact/wiper
The cracked bit at the end was hanging on by a thread. I made a futile attempt to solder a little patch in place, but ended up soldering on an "extension" cut from sheet metal. It's very ugly (hence no "after" photo :oops:) but it should work until I can figure out what to use to replace the whole contact.
bad-wiper.jpg
(70.31 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Possible win: Gluing down contacts
The headshell contacts in the 40B were secured in place with some sort of plastic cement-- seemed to be from the factory. After I pulled up the trim piece on the 65B I realized the cartridge sled puts tremendous upward pressure on the headshell contacts, hence the trim piece constantly coming unstuck. I removed the sled and glued the headshell contacts in place with hot glue. Fingers crossed; this seems to have finally done the trick.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 06 Dec 2019 14:58

Whatever works. Garrard seriously underestimated the force placed on the trim piece adhesive by the contacts. I had to glue a lot of them when they were still current models under warranty.

If your repaired contact looks ugly, so what? It works. At times we have to deal with what we have. I once had a 40B tonearm lying around, after swapping an arm, platter and motor from a smashed-in-transit SL65B to do an upgrade on the 40B. But over the years, the four contacts, the trim plate, the wiring...all got cannibalized to keep other units going. Then I had to improvise, like you have done successfully. Kudos to you!