Garrard spindles missing.

the jewel in the crown
Autonomous Collective
Great Britain

Garrard spindles missing.

Post by Autonomous Collective » 09 Oct 2019 16:15

Hello, this is my first post and I'm really hoping the amazing minds on this forum can help me. I just bought a Pye Cambridge radiogram, it has a Garrard record player but no serial number. I only have a Model #3507 see the photos. I'm trying to get replacement spindles, both stacker and normal as I've been told both would've come with it at one time. The diameter of the hole is just over 5mm and I'm wondering if this is standard across all vintage Garrards or if I'm looking for something specific?
Thank you
IMG_20191008_211849556.jpg
(130.53 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
IMG_20191008_221824736.jpg
(211.95 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Attachments
IMG_20191009_161357673.jpg
(171.7 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Garrard spindles missing.

Post by circularvibes » 09 Oct 2019 17:35

Is there any chance the spindles have rolled under the turntable? I have found strange stuff ranging from old styli to spindles and coins and toys in the space under the changer.

Autonomous Collective
Great Britain

Post by Autonomous Collective » 09 Oct 2019 18:45

Not that I can see unfortunately. I can't get the back off but I've had a look through the holes underneath and there's not anything rolling around. That would've been fab if they were in there.

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 09 Oct 2019 21:01

Yo Autonomous Collective:

The changer is a Garrard Autoslim from early to mid 1960's. They were very common, found almost everywhere. In my days past, I owned 2 of them. They have parts commonality with a lot of different Garrards manufactured over many years, and I will bet that you can find all 3 spindles (the short single play spindle, the tall changer spindle, and the big-hole 45 RPM spindle), from a lot of Web Suppliers, and also at the Famous Auction Website.

I hope this helps, and good luck from the old Garrard owner, who still has the 301 that he has owned for over 40 years,

Joe Z.

Autonomous Collective
Great Britain

Post by Autonomous Collective » 09 Oct 2019 21:23

Wow thank you so much! I've been trying to find out anything I can about it and not having much luck. This is my first repair on a record player and I really want to get it right. I fixed the auto arm today and have the mechanisms a good clean, just waiting on some grease and a new stylus. I've seen a couple things come up for the autoslim on eBay but you say they aren't specific to this machine only. Is it ok to order almost any vintage Garrard spindle? Says the girl who ordered on 5 minutes ago. I am rather impatient, to my own detriment.....😬

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 09 Oct 2019 22:31

Yo Autonomous Collective:

You should be able to find manuals for the Garrard Autoslim on this website. Go to top of page, click on Library, then click on Garrard. You will go to a page where you will find all sorts of listings, and look up Autoslim (NOT Autoslim/P) and click on it. Look for a SERVICE MANUAL. it should be here: file ve_garrard_at5_at6_autoslim_service.pdf There should be an exploded diagram with parts numbers. You will find the spindle part numbers at page 32 of 34. They are common to Autoslim, Autoslim/P, AT5 and AT6. For Garrards, parts numbers will go across all models, so a part number 463521 will fit on any Garrard that uses that part number. Like I said, lots of commonality of part numbers across many models. Once you know the number, you should be able to go to your supplier and give the number, and they should be able to tell you if the one they are suggesting is right.

And good luck from the old parts switcher,

Joe Z.