What exactly is a "Synchro-Lab" motor?

the jewel in the crown
Belmont

What exactly is a "Synchro-Lab" motor?

Post by Belmont » 01 Oct 2019 19:53

I've owned a SL95 for a while, and used to have an SL65B, and I'm just wondering what kind of motor the Synchro-Lab motor is. I take it that it's a synchronous motor, but others have referred to it as a hybrid?

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Re: What exactly is a "Synchro-Lab" motor?

Post by aardvarkash10 » 03 Oct 2019 06:47

the received design wisdom is that it is a combined synchronous and induction motor - the induction section gives rapid start up, the synchronous section the speed stability tied to line frequency.

My background is all in DC stuff - AC confuses me, so I don't claim to have any ability to assess that belief. However, Garrard made statements to that effect in their advertising copy so it must be at least half true.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 03 Oct 2019 07:47

Hi aardvarkask 10,

Your AC motor chops must be pretty good. That is the correct answer. One other virtue of a hystereses synchronous motor is that since the rotor is a hard steel ring, if it is symmetrical about the axis balance is a given. Not as much with an induction motor with its squirrel cage rotor. I believe the better approach is to use a sufficiently large hystereses synchronous motor such as the lovely outer rotor motor in my R-O-K Rondine 2.

I believe Pioneer used a similar motor in some of their machines such as the PL12 but since Gerrard likely trade marked the cutesy name Pioneer just called theirs a synchronous motor without a mention of the starting “help” it received from the squirrel cage section of its rotor.

Phil

aardvarkash10 wrote:
03 Oct 2019 06:47
the received design wisdom is that it is a combined synchronous and induction motor - the induction section gives rapid start up, the synchronous section the speed stability tied to line frequency.

My background is all in DC stuff - AC confuses me, so I don't claim to have any ability to assess that belief. However, Garrard made statements to that effect in their advertising copy so it must be at least half true.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 04 Oct 2019 00:14

Garrard actually held the patent on the induction/synchronous design. Pioneer, Dual, Elac and most of the rest were licensed by Garrard to use the design. Garrard made healthy revenues from licensing of their patents; that was not the only significant one.

Horsetrading occurred, too. Matsushita built the induction/synchronous motors for Garrard's GT models that didn't have DC servo motors, and reportedly paid no license fees for motors that went into their own products; they also made the motors and provided the drive circuitry designs in the Garrard GT35 and GT55 series; and Matsushita also supplied the direct drive motor on the Garrard DD75.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 04 Oct 2019 02:03

Hi A70BBen,

I had no idea they had a patent on that. I’m amazed that putting a squirrel cage rotor and hystereses rotor on the same shaft would be patentable. Well I suppose it is innovative and allows a synchronous motor in a smaller less expensive size. I wonder what the trade-off would be with a reluctance synchronous motor.

Phil

A70BBen wrote:
04 Oct 2019 00:14
Garrard actually held the patent on the induction/synchronous design. Pioneer, Dual, Elac and most of the rest were licensed by Garrard to use the design. Garrard made healthy revenues from licensing of their patents; that was not the only significant one.

Horsetrading occurred, too. Matsushita built the induction/synchronous motors for Garrard's GT models that didn't have DC servo motors, and reportedly paid no license fees for motors that went into their own products; they also made the motors and provided the drive circuitry designs in the Garrard GT35 and GT55 series; and Matsushita also supplied the direct drive motor on the Garrard DD75.