Lab 80 Hum

the jewel in the crown
Stevedragon

Lab 80 Hum

Post by Stevedragon » 02 Sep 2019 18:16

Hi
I picked one of these up yesterday. I already love it, but it has more than a few failings.
The main fault is a massive hum. There’s no earth to amp connection - should there be one or does the motor earth to the chassis? Secondly, the soldering on the headshell wires is very ropey. I can have a crack at replacing the wires, but do they solder in to the arm connections? If not, who sells replacements?
I’d also like to replace the cart and the phono leads. Are there any particular carts that work well with the arm? I play mostly folk, rock and metal.
Many thanks for your time, and apologies if this info is on here somewhere; I’ve looked but I can’t see anything on this specific to the Lab 80.
Steve

vanakaru

Re: Lab 80 Hum

Post by vanakaru » 02 Sep 2019 18:33

Search found 71 matches: garrard lab80
Massive hum happens usually when cart connections fail. Since you see something not so good with cartridge wires start from there. Although it is not clear to me what wires you are referring to:
Secondly, the soldering on the headshell wires is very ropey. I can have a crack at replacing the wires, but do they solder in to the arm connections? If not, who sells replacements?

Stevedragon

Post by Stevedragon » 03 Sep 2019 15:25

Hi Vanakaru

Thanks for the advice. I searched the forum, but nothing seemed to fit exactly.
Anyway, I checked the headshell and two of the terminals to the cart literally fell off in my hand. One was a ground wire so I guess re-wiring the headshell might be where I start.
Still not sure about whether there should be a unit to amplifier ground wire, but I don’t pretend to know much about electronics. Sorry if it was a stupid question.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 03 Sep 2019 16:47

Could you post a picture of the spot with possible problem?

Pure_brew

Post by Pure_brew » 14 Sep 2019 02:47

Stevedragon wrote:
02 Sep 2019 18:16
Hi
I picked one of these up yesterday. I already love it, but it has more than a few failings.
The main fault is a massive hum. There’s no earth to amp connection - should there be one or does the motor earth to the chassis? Secondly, the soldering on the headshell wires is very ropey. I can have a crack at replacing the wires, but do they solder in to the arm connections? If not, who sells replacements?
I’d also like to replace the cart and the phono leads. Are there any particular carts that work well with the arm? I play mostly folk, rock and metal.
Many thanks for your time, and apologies if this info is on here somewhere; I’ve looked but I can’t see anything on this specific to the Lab 80.
Steve
There should be a ground wire coming from the same molex plug that the power wires are connected to. This would connect to the phono stage ground terminal on your preamp/receiver. Commonly these appear green.

If you Google to search images “Garrard lab 80 wiring”, you’ll see shots that’ll show this. So that’s one problem. Sorry to hear about the headshell wires. That’s going to obviously need fixing too.