My wife told me to clean up my mancave

the jewel in the crown
aardvarkash10
long player
long player

My wife told me to clean up my mancave

Post by aardvarkash10 » 25 Aug 2019 07:48

So I did. I found a Dual 1210, a couple of Garrard 210s waiting for me to build a plinth for them, and then, at the back, a turntable I bought and managed to sneak past her but have been too scared to bring out.

A Zero 100S.

Its been there so long I'd forgotten why - it has the (in)famous Garrard Synchro rattle.

So I pulled the motor, dismantled it, opened a fresh tube of cyanoacrylate, and 20 minutes later it was running.

It could do with a good cleaning and removal of the Garrard gorilla-snot, but damn, its handsome! Sounds ok with the fitted Shure 44-7 as well.

I'm a bit sad, but it looks like my little PE34 HiFi is going to have to move aside.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: My wife told me to clean up my mancave

Post by Tonybro » 25 Aug 2019 07:59

Nice find, even if it was already yours! 😀

Great choice of test track too. 👍

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 25 Aug 2019 10:18

Clean up man cave?? Don't understand does not compute :)
Chris

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 25 Aug 2019 11:20

No man cave is complete without a Zero 100 :D !

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 25 Aug 2019 19:06

Needs summat rather better than an M44-7 old nail though once it's serviced ;)

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 25 Aug 2019 21:14

DSJR wrote:
25 Aug 2019 19:06
Needs summat rather better than an M44-7 old nail though once it's serviced ;)
Feel free to give ideas.

Bubbles4562
United States of America

Post by Bubbles4562 » 26 Aug 2019 03:20

Just picked up a zero 92 today and I just hid it in cabinet in my mancave.Hopefully will be able to switch turntables since shes mad at me for buying 3000 albums while she was in mexico for 3 weeks and she isnt hanging around there now😭😭😭❤️

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 26 Aug 2019 05:32

^you win. Champion GOAT wife-avoider.

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 26 Aug 2019 06:43

Bubbles4562, you are the ruler of mancaves! Respect.

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 15 Sep 2019 02:03

Update.

The Zero is now the daily. A couple of little Garrard gorilla-snot issues including a non-functional auto and random start on manual, and the arm not descending too gracefully, but they are now improving with use and we are almost up to 100% reliability.

The 44-7 cart had the original stylus fitted. I got an elliptical (the 55e pattern part) from Voice of Music to try out (only $16 each so I got three). Unfortunately, the cantilever sits at a lower angle on the stylii I received and the body of the cart sits low enough to make occasional contact with the record! This could be because of some "float" in the main headshell pivot that is resulting in quite a bit of horizontal play. There is no way to adjust the VTA, but I have an old zero 100 parts donor (it was US spec with 60hz drive pulley and pretty beaten) so I'm going to attempt a recondition of that headshell bearing then go for a tonearmectomy if it works.

I like the 44-7 a lot! It may not be technically precise, but neither are my ears. Its just bitten off a decent rendition of a Fat Boy Slim compilation I got from my daughter for my birthday, followed by Grace Jones Nightclubbing. The Shure excels in this territory with huge drive and fists-full of sonics from below the auditory Plimsoll line.

Updates infrequently as they happen.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 16 Sep 2019 12:31

What to use in a Zero 100...

My negative comments on the M44-7 were more to do with its insane output (over 50% higher than many carts today and overload fodder for less exalted phono stages) as well as it's dated response shape - falling high frequencies follwed by a resonant peak right where you don't want it at the very top end, which emphasises ticks and snaps and can take phono stages into overload and brief oscillation, making the effects of surface noise worse.

I have an Ed Saunders N55e stylus in my 55E (same 'shape' cantilever as the original so no clearance issues) and the far superior diamond to the original does keep surface noise at bay, but my Lord it's a dull bland sound with ill defined bass in the Garrards I tried it in.

Until recently, I'd have recommended the Shure 97XE with damping paddle, the capacitance of the deck's signal wiring keeping a pretty flat response to 10kHz or so and the damper total stability in this rather odd (in terms of dynamics) tonearm, but now that's gone and for a beefy toned update on the 44-7, I'd suggest a Sumiko Pearl. For a more tonally honest sound today, the AT520, 530 and maybe even the 540 should be considered, the latter due to the 'zero' tracking error. VTA can be easily fine tuned by tracking force, which is recommended at 2g in these, but in practise, 1.8g is fine so there's a margin for experimentation. Also, the bias correction (anti-skate) on my Zero 100 is rather excessive, so a fine line tip needing more correction may be just the job here - these carts don't upset arms overmuch in my experience. Maybe not around now and I think prices rose sharply at the end, but the Pickering XV15/625e is a pretty safe-as-houses model with a consistent smooth tone, which tracks at 1.5g or so, which is safe for the Zero arm..

P.S. One part to easily clean underneath and that's the large '2p' size washer under which a sliding lever runs. Once the grease dries and solidifies, the arm is all but thrown up out of the groove at the start of the cycle. Getting smooth movement here is vital for safe treatment of modern cartridges. I think it's part #187 in the exploded parts diagram with slider #190 (I think) running underneath it.

Sadly, the great value AT VM95 and related Goldring E models (also the Ortofon 2M's) won't work sadly as they screw in from the top and after a 44-7, an OM10 may be too far the other way (it's 'lively' to say the least).

hunted11

Post by hunted11 » 20 Sep 2019 01:22

I just bought a stylus for my shure from VOM and it was doing the same thing as yours with the cantilever sitting low. I called Gary at VOM and he found some were defective. He sent me a replacement right away. Check your other 2 they may be OK.