Cartridge sled solders just came off on the Zero 100

the jewel in the crown
T68
Sweden

Cartridge sled solders just came off on the Zero 100

Post by T68 » 15 Jul 2019 11:21

Ooops! While trying to remove the Shure M75 cartridge to try out a AT3600L on my Zero 100 all four solders on the sled connectors came off! I promise you I tried to be really careful while doing this but obviously not enough so. The connector wires are really stiff, probably movement on the cart end transferred to the connector end and it broke .

Guess Im up for some sweat-breaking soldering... Do you think it's possible to solder with the connector strips in place or will the plastic in the sled melt?
If not, can the strips be removed without breaking and soldered detached from sled?

T68
Sweden

Re: Cartridge sled solders just came off on the Zero 100

Post by T68 » 15 Jul 2019 13:07

Update: Ooops #2.
Did some research and had a closer look at the sled and decided to remove the connector springy things before soldering in order not to melt the sled material. First one went fine but the second one broke where it wraps around the sled. So decided to take my chances and try to solder the remaining two in place.
Tried to solder quickly and managed to not melt the surrounding plastic too bad (probably my ugliest solders ever. Will not post pictures). Also soldered the broken connector and tried to put it in some sort of position.
Reattached the sled in the headshell, crossed my fingers, held my breath and dropped the needle. And behold: sound on both channels!
But not sure how long the solders will last or if I ever dare touching the cartridge wires. This may be a permanent Shure M75 setup while I look for a replacement sled with sound wiring.

Landolaman1
Great Britain

Post by Landolaman1 » 15 Jul 2019 15:51

The C2 Garrard sled cartridge holders are notoriously difficult to repair. The main problem was that the metal connectors where the wire is soldered to are plated and over time this plating starts to flake off the base metal leaving the wires in a precarious state. A very steady hand is required to re-solder (It is possible i've done it) along with removing as much of the plating as possible down to bare metal. They do occasionally come up for sale on the auction site but usually at inflated prices! Regards, Neil.

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 15 Jul 2019 16:14

Neil, Thanks for responding! I better be careful with my jerry-rigged sled then :) .

Is the c2 sled the only one that works on the Zero or are there other versions that can be used?

Landolaman1
Great Britain

Post by Landolaman1 » 15 Jul 2019 16:24

Hi, i think the Zero uses a C3 slide but poses the same problems when repairing. Yes the designated slide carriers are the only ones that will work with the particular model of TT unfortunately. I have a Garrard SL95B which uses the C2 carrier and have resorted to buying scrap TT's just to get the carrier! Bit drastic i know but that's how difficult it can be to get the parts.But sometimes you can drop lucky if you keep checking the auction sites. Good hunting.
Regards, Neil.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 15 Jul 2019 21:09

Carriers (C3 for the Zero) can still be got you know...

Always use a fine tip iron and low melting point solder which will help.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 17 Jul 2019 17:51

Could not agree more that Garrard Zero 100 solder joints got fragile after this much time. I've rehabbed three or four of them and came to expect that characteristic. I assume whatever solder Garrard used reacted chemically with something as I've not noticed a similar circumstance with Dual's or Elac's.

The fine point iron tip is mandatory as is speed. I don't bother even trying to strip away insulation from such fine wires, but just let the heat from a glob of solder on the iron's tip do the work for me.

A little dab from a flux pen on the receiving sled contact doesn't hurt either.

FWIW, if I had no actual cartridge leads on hand (sometimes originals have been AWOL or MIA) I've had success using wire from inside the cable of a USB mouse. And I've substituted pin holders from small tube sockets as clips to go onto cartridge pins.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 17 Jul 2019 23:51

To fix those once the springy strips break. I use solder braid of the appropriate width. Easy to solder and once the solder wicks into it, you can bend it to fit into the space as needed and secure it.