Zero 100 record drops on tone arm

the jewel in the crown
kaplang

Zero 100 record drops on tone arm

Post by kaplang » 23 Jun 2019 03:07

Found a Zero 100 I forget I had. Don't even remember when or were I got it. Decided to service it and try it out. On initial start up the platter would spin but slow down considerably during any automatic operation. trouble shot that problem to the idler wheel of which cleaning didn't help so I had Voice of Music exchange it for a rebuilt one. Now all the automatic functions work but here is the problem I haven't been able to resolve. When I stack records on the record stacking spindle the first record drops fine and plays completely. Then the tone arm lifts after reading the end of the record and before it reaches the arm rest position the next record falls and hits the tone arm. The tone arm almost makes it to the rest position but not all the way before the record drops and hits it. I know this isn't right and is some kind of a timing issue. looking at the service manual sheds no light on what needs to be done to resolve this so I am hoping someone on VE may be able to help.
I've cleaned and lubricated all that is suggested by the service manual so noting is stuck or slow to move.
I've also viewed a couple of Zero 100 YouTube videos to see if the problem I am having is common to the Zero 100. Doesn't seem to be. All the videos I have watched show the tone arm making it all the way to rest position before the next record drops and not hitting it.
Thanks

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Zero 100 record drops on tone arm

Post by DSJR » 23 Jun 2019 10:09

Have a look at the stacker spindle to see what's going on. The records sit on a 'step' on said spindle and an inner 'tang' pushes each record down past this step to play. Is this piece pushing the record off the spindle step too soon? Is the spindle 'clicked' in to place properly - I believe the platter retaining clip assists with this and on some decks, it must be the correct way round otherwise the spindle won't locate properly.

Looking underneath, I recall there's an adjustment on the sliding lever with spring steel strip under the main bearing assembly which operates on the 'tang' in the changer spindle. Take a look in the original SL75/95 service manual, as these parts are similar I gather.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 23 Jun 2019 23:00

Be sure the side platform is set properly. The required dimension, measured from the centre spindle, is in the service manual. Two screws secure the side platform. Loosen to adjust.

kaplang

Post by kaplang » 23 Jun 2019 23:39

Are you referring to the position of the spring loaded clamp that holds the records in place for the changer. I’ll have to check that.
Thanks

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 24 Jun 2019 18:22

Not the clamp. The platform itself. If properly set, the record falls off the spindle first, then a split-second later from the platform.

Check for a bent spindle, too There is a template in the service manual.

kaplang

Post by kaplang » 24 Jun 2019 18:41

I understand.
Spindle is fine. If it were bent the moving parts would probably stick. All move freely
Thanks