Just won a Zero 100s - let the fun (?) begin!

the jewel in the crown
DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Just won a Zero 100s - let the fun (?) begin!

Post by DSJR » 17 Oct 2019 13:53

SHHH! :D

Bloody good deck this is potentially. The motors on Lenco's are a work of art with smooth, low vibration running and if the idler is the later metal hubbed type, very quiet potentially too (I believe the plastic hub types can be re-tyred in a modern O Ring which gives even better? performance). The vertical drive gives the rumble and noise 'out-of-phase' with a central mono image, so the noise is spread out to the edges of a perceived sound-stage in stereo. If the motor wires are ok and not binding and if the rotor bearings are lubricated properly (rotor should take ages to 'wind down' on power-off, noise into the speakers isn't much of an issue in my first hand experience of many samples of 75's, 78's, G88 and a filthy G99 and now a 69 or two;)

I'd ask please, that the B52, GL69 and especially the GL72 are played down a bit ;) to keep prices affordable... The steel platter (and 'lighter' main bearing build) may be an issue for some cartridges (moving coils?) and lack of bias correction on the earlier tonearms (the later GL69's and 72's were fine for this) may give unequal stylus wear, but a later 69 I've had here (Goldring sprung plinth and 'Linn style' lid with 'prop' and early hinges) worked well and 'sounded' incredibly good. Sadly, the fashion is to take GL75's, butcher them totally and fit third party tonearms, but I'm a lone voice in this I think, as the stock arm and maybe fresh exit cabling, can perform well with AT95e and descended sibling and family cartridges. Deck plates can rust underneath I gather from a collector who had thirty odd samples through his hands so any interested parties should look carefully, especially at some of the prices now asked. Main bearings can be slightly sloppy on later decks too, but sleeves can be got.

Oh hell, I have a Sony plinthed GL75 in the garage awaiting service, modern cartridge and restoration to the main bearing. This 'room' is not the place to go over things, but as Mr 'T68' has more than a passing interest in many idler maker 'genres,' I hope I'll be allowed to comment and hopefully share.

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 02 Nov 2019 12:22

"Good things come to those who wait." Hope that is true. Still no idler being back from refurbishment. Sigh...
God thing I have the Lenco to play with. It's coming to life nicely after some tlc (new idler tyre, relube and aligning of the motor and a Stanton 680). Quite impressive old clunker this!
IMG_20191102_131053.jpg
(126.08 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
But I'm really starting to miss the sleek looks and golden buttons on the zero. Not to mention auto.
Hopefully a new and more silent idler will be in the mail next week.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 03 Nov 2019 11:54

You got me looking for am intact Lenco such as yours (they're ignored as the steel platter and tonearm don't look as posh). With tonearm V blocks sorted, motor/idler running quietly and careful choice of cartridge, a very quite and easy to use manual player. I agree the Zero does turn heads, and for a good reason too. You can get good idlers on eBay from time to time - I did.

T68
Sweden

Post by T68 » 07 Nov 2019 15:39

Whoop! Idler wheel on the way, finally. :D

(This is swedish for "your order has been packed and shipped")'
svalander.png
(10.17 KiB) Downloaded 11 times