Eddy brake fouls disc. Can it be adjusted?

the jewel in the crown
aoerstroem

Eddy brake fouls disc. Can it be adjusted?

Post by aoerstroem » 02 Jun 2019 20:13

Hi everyone

A couple of days ago I bought a Garrard 301, which I am trying to get up and running, but I have a problem with the eddy brake that I am hoping I can get your help with.

The thing is that when the speed adjustment knob is at anything other than maximum, the eddy brake disk is fouling the magnet "fork" and grinding against it, stopping the platter and making a very loud screeching noise. On the photo, you can see the metal shavings that result from the friction. The photo is taken with the speed adjustment knob set to maximum.
Garrard 301 Eddy Brake.jpg
Eddy brake close-up
(71.03 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

It seems the brake disk is a millimeter or so lower than it should be in relation to the magnets. Is there any way to adjust the height of the disc? (or the magnets for that matter?) I can pull up on the pulley where the brake disc sits, and it is possible to move it up the required amount, but gravity pulls it back as soon as I let go.

The seller recommended changing the springs (he included an extra set), but as far as I can tell, the disc and magnets are sitting in the same assembly, so the springs would not affect their relative positions.

I hope you can help.

Jack A P
Great Britain

Re: Eddy brake fouls disc. Can it be adjusted?

Post by Jack A P » 02 Jun 2019 20:57

The Eddy brake wheel is held on the motor shaft by some screws in the collar at the wheels centre. Loosen these and you can align the wheel between the magnets. Retighten the screws and all should be fine.

aoerstroem

Post by aoerstroem » 02 Jun 2019 21:32

Thanks a lot Jack; that was what I was hoping for! I will have a look right away.

webrider

Post by webrider » 27 Jun 2019 22:50

I noticed the red screw head in the photo you provided. Do you still have the motor transit clamp in place? That may be pressing on the motor housing and pushing it up slightly. It is best to fully remove it and store it away in a safe place for future use.