Garrard AT6 Mk. II won't shut off automatically...

the jewel in the crown
RKnack

Garrard AT6 Mk. II won't shut off automatically...

Post by RKnack » 20 May 2019 16:17

My "daily driver" turntable is a Garrard AT6 Mk. II. It plays records just fine, and sounds great, but recently the auto-off has stopped working: I can play a stack of 45's or 33's, and at the end of the stack the tonearm goes back to its rest position and the platter keeps spinning. I have watched as this happens, and the off-manual-auto switch moves but does not trip all the way to the "off" position. Any idea what might be wrong, and how hard it will be to fix it?

Copperhead
long player
long player

Re: Garrard AT6 Mk. II won't shut off automatically...

Post by Copperhead » 20 May 2019 22:32

RKnack wrote:
20 May 2019 16:17
My "daily driver" turntable is a Garrard AT6 Mk. II. It plays records just fine, and sounds great, but recently the auto-off has stopped working: I can play a stack of 45's or 33's, and at the end of the stack the tonearm goes back to its rest position and the platter keeps spinning. I have watched as this happens, and the off-manual-auto switch moves but does not trip all the way to the "off" position. Any idea what might be wrong, and how hard it will be to fix it?
Have you serviced it at all, maybe that's the problem. Could be just the trip pawl or other parts of the mechanism not moving freely.

RKnack

Post by RKnack » 21 May 2019 00:26

I cleaned it and re-lubricated it per the service manual not long after I got it. It HAD been working just fine for the past year or so.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 21 May 2019 00:56

Only way to find out is flip it upside down and look closely at the power switch. Or more accurately, the mechanism that opens and closes it.

When that is known, it's just a matter of making it work.

Probably something that pivots needs cleaning and re-lubricstion.

RKnack

Post by RKnack » 21 May 2019 01:46

62vauxhall wrote:
21 May 2019 00:56
Only way to find out is flip it upside down and look closely at the power switch. Or more accurately, the mechanism that opens and closes it.

When that is known, it's just a matter of making it work.

Probably something that pivots needs cleaning and re-lubricstion.
Did that a bit ago. Everything LOOKS okay. Twiddled around with the trip mechanism and it SEEMS to be working properly again. Might just be something was sticking. Who knows. We'll see if it keeps working. Listening to a bunch of 1950's-1960's 45's on it right now.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 22 May 2019 18:45

It should be possible to firmly move the operating lever from play/manual to 'off/stop' thereby over-riding the catch holding the lever in play. It's quite safe to do this if you're careful. The links here aren't too hidden (the main one to watch 'slides' under the tonearm bearing casting and deals with the overarm sensing of records in the stack to play, or switching off completely).

These mechs can be run dry, although a *light* smear of superlube or similar as recommended by poster Spinner here on sliding parts (do PLEASE remove all traces of old dry grease first, but not necessarily the black stuff in the groove under the main cam if present as I think it is in later models) will never hurt.

Maybe some grease has got into the sliding parts of the switch and made it sticky? Sometimes, vigorous 'exercise' without dismantling said switch may free it off perhaps?

RKnack

Post by RKnack » 22 May 2019 19:21

Still seems to be functioning again, as it should. All the fossilized grease was removed when I replaced the idler wheel a year ago, and I did use Superlube where it was appropriate at the same time.

One of our cats likes to jump on top of the player (it is mounted in a Garrard plastic plinth with a Lexan dustcover), so I wonder if something maybe got jarred out of position?