3D printing a cartridge sled

the jewel in the crown
aardvarkash10
long player
long player

3D printing a cartridge sled

Post by aardvarkash10 » 17 Apr 2019 11:01

Anyone ever tried this? Specifically for a zero 100, but any advice welcome.

Cheers

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: 3D printing a cartridge sled

Post by Alec124c41 » 04 May 2019 13:35

I don't have a 3D printer, but I bought a headshell for a Micro-Seiki MA-707, made on one.

Cheers,
Alec

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 18 May 2019 22:34

I also bought one fabricated by 3D printing which was for a Dual (original) 1009.

That was 3 or so years ago and I do swap cartridges which are mounted on their own sleds so it's been on and off a few times. So far so good but I have read feedback from some who claim the material is brittle and can break. I can see that possibility moreso for instance with other Dual models where the metal finger lift is the latch holding the carrier in place and there is rotational force. But with the early 1009's, although there is a locking device that turns 90 degrees, is puts next to no stress on the sled.

A Zero 100 is only slide in and slide out with no retention mechanism per se. I have one of these too and would have no qualms about using a 3D printed slide. Unless it requires a fair amount of force to insert and withdraw it in which case care should be taken or return it as being an improper fit.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 19 May 2019 00:32

I have a Zero 100 universal model and an 86SB and the slides are interchangeable and pretty smooth to remove and replace. Hopefully, this means printing shouldn't be an issue. The cartridge bolts go into a cast? plate which slides back and forth to give overhang, so it'd be interesting to see how that could be done in the C3.

Also and a surprise, using a card alignment protractor, the Zero 100 and 86SB seem to have different alignment points, so a cartridge set up on one doesn't necessarily align on the other (you need to set the basic overhang on the Zero, so it stays within tight limits for tracking error from beginning to end of the record side - either that or it's out of line all over...).