Garrard SL-72b cartridge alignment adjustment?

the jewel in the crown
Jmoog

Re: Garrard SL-72b cartridge alignment adjustment?

Post by Jmoog » 09 Sep 2019 22:40

I am sticking with the C2 sled. I'm on the lookout for two extras. On one I am going to mount a cartridge and stylus for playing 78 rpm records and with the other I am thinking of re-installing the ATS-12 with the shibata stylus for Quad records. Maybe I'll get better results using it for quad records exclusively.

As far as the replacement idler wheel goes, I haven't really been looking. Would that be a fix that I could attempt on my own? I'm not sinking any more money into repairs for this table but if I can do it myself I will attempt it. I would love to have a better understanding of how these tables work.

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 10 Sep 2019 01:14

I know Im late on this, but my parents had a SL72b, and my godfather (an electronics engineer) buildt my parents system and paired an ADC Cart on that turntable.
My moms friend had a 95SL and that was fitted with shure M44G I think. Thats what was usually fitted on these decks. Just in case you want to try a different cart.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 10 Sep 2019 16:42

The 72B, 75B and 95B as well as the Zero 100 and later models using this chassis are quite safe in fully serviced and fettled mode with durable 1.25g trackers upwards and I've successfully used the ADC VLM III, XLM III & Phase IV, Stanton 681EEE, Grado F1+ and a succession of elliptical tipped Ortofons (VMS, OM and 500 series) here.

Garrard used to supply the Shure M75-6S with the 125SB 'module' and the Zero 100 modules we sold came with M93E (75-EJ variant) which was the universal safe 2g tracking option with a rather dull and bland tone today. The M44 and M55E were thought of as geriatric old nails by the mid 70's you know and not up to these decks in my opinion (I have an M55E in my stash and bass is not as well defined in comparison with more modern designs).

These days, an AT520 or 530 would probably be my choice as they're stable with the arm masses, track at 1.8 - 2g which is safe as houses for these arms, they offer a modern neutral tone rather than the dull and slightly 'sluggish' tones from say, a mid priced Grado and maybe a Nagaoka MP110 as well, although I think this latter is outclassed now at the price asked. The massier 75/95/Zero arm should also play host to the beefy-toned Sumiko Pearl, which is the current direct descendant of popular cartridge models sharing a generic maker in the late 70's if not before. With the elliptical styli used in all of these, the lack of overhang adjustment isn't an issue. The AP76 (but maybe not the 72B with same tonearm) does need the little C2 mounting 'wedge' that it originally came with, to get the cartridge more parallel to the record when playing. Ortofon OM models can still be got worldwide i think and an OM10 or 20 would put a bit of raw life into the proceedings, although new prices are high for such old decks now. The Ortofon 500 series' are now various 'VM' models but prices to my tastes are silly.

My AP76 has a now old-model AT120E (replaced by the 530) and it happens to balance well tonally in this deck, although it isn't as pleasant in the Dual decks I have here. The 530 should be better all round as I believe the suspension has been tightened a little.

Hope this clarifies things for today's cartridges. Sadly, the rather good AT VM95 or Goldring E3 models won't work as they attach from above. maybe some enterprising soul might butcher the C2 to accept a countersunk unthreaded screw-hole from above, but not me I'm afraid.

Jmoog

Post by Jmoog » 12 Sep 2019 16:39

Is an idler wheel somewhat easy to replace on this turntable? I can't imagine that the service tech wouldn't have caught a faulty idler wheel but who knows.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 14 Sep 2019 15:50

PLEASE remember these things are audio antiques now at nigh on fifty years old and more...

Idlers are usually a doddle to remove and certainly Garrards of the type we're discussing just have a small C-clip with washer directly under and then another washer between idler and mounting bracket.

Garrard idlers of this type used a softish rubber compound which has lasted well in certain climates, but a few have become shiny with age and these loose grip on the platter and motor pulley. A quick spin in a drill chuck and some fine 'wet-n-dry' evenly applied followed by a damned good clean is often enough, coupled with a non greasy clean on the motor pulley and inner platter driven area.

Belmont

Post by Belmont » 01 Oct 2019 22:27

DSJR wrote:
10 Sep 2019 16:42
Hope this clarifies things for today's cartridges. Sadly, the rather good AT VM95 or Goldring E3 models won't work as they attach from above. maybe some enterprising soul might butcher the C2 to accept a countersunk unthreaded screw-hole from above, but not me I'm afraid.
Just wanted to dispel this: the VM95 can be screwed in from the bottom without damage to the cart or the carrier. I’ve been able to swap out my ATVM95E and Pickering XV15 fairly easily.