SL-95 Auto mode "almost" works after re-build.

the jewel in the crown
jeffs22
United States of America

SL-95 Auto mode "almost" works after re-build.

Post by jeffs22 » 20 Mar 2019 00:46

I have now completely re-assembled my SL-95, after a thorough disassembly, "un-gluing", and gentle lube. Although I removed the tonarm as a unit, I did not disassemble it. I did not lube any of the friction parts below the tonearm.

For the most part I was able to re-asemble everything exactly as it was thanks to careful photos and notes. The one place where this process broke down was the cluster of stuff directly under the tonearm. So maybe I have something installed wrong, or maybe it's an adjustment issue.

Anyway, when I select "start", the whole cylce seems to go smoothly, except the tonearm does not move laterally at all; i.e., it lifts, pauses, and then gently settles back down precisely on its rest. If I manually move the tonearm to the "end of record" position, the auto stop feature works perfectly, including bringing the tonearm back to its rest and setting it down gently. This movement is very definite: nothing iffy about it.

I was able to diagnose a few other problems by watching carefully and seeing what was supposed to happen. In this case, that hasn't been much help. Do any of you experts recognize the symptoms I'm seeing? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks

A70BBen

Re: SL-95 Auto mode "almost" works after re-build.

Post by A70BBen » 21 Mar 2019 22:18

You worked on all the parts under the chassis. Did you also work on the Stop Lever above the chassis?

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 05 Apr 2019 23:55

jeffs22 wrote:
20 Mar 2019 00:46
Anyway, when I select "start", the whole cylce seems to go smoothly, except the tonearm does not move laterally at all; i.e., it lifts, pauses, and then gently settles back down precisely on its rest.
This is what the changer will do if you have no records sitting stacked on the spindle ready to drop.

nav65

Post by nav65 » 13 May 2019 17:03

I have the same problem in single auto play or with records stacked. The tone arm lifts then shuts off. I cleaned and lubed the stop lever above the chassis (under the platter) If I set the tone arm down toward the end of the LP, the tone arm will return and shut off . Does anyone have and possible resolution to this problem?

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 13 May 2019 20:23

Does the stop lever now gently 'click' back and forth? It's the fore or aft movement that alingns the links to 'tell' the arm whether to stay put on its rest or travel to the index point at the beginning of a record. Cycling the mech by hand in 'start' mode may tell you something possibly if you watch the mechanism around this start lever.