Garrard Synchro Lab 95: record plaform funtion?

the jewel in the crown
jeffs22
United States of America

Garrard Synchro Lab 95: record plaform funtion?

Post by jeffs22 » 14 Mar 2019 18:54

Hi All,

I dismantled, cleaned and lubed a SL-95. Got some major glue gleaned out and it's looking like auto mode is going to function smoothly. (Not quite ready to test.) But one thing baffles me. To play a stack of records there is a button you press "record platform release button" which causes the "record platform" to pop up smartly. This works fine. But there seems to be no way to then lower the platform and have it stay down. There is a black plastic piece (#212, "index lever moulding") that would do the job if some kind of spring pushed it into position, but there isn't one. And I don't see any provision for one or indication in the manual that there should be one.

Here's a pic of the platform (silver post) in the lower position:
downsmall.jpg
(45.49 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Ande here it is in the raised position:
downsmall.jpg
(45.49 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
In both positions the black plastic slips into a notch the post, but only if it is pushed (manually or by gravity) into position. But I am hoping to use the turntable in a horizontal position.....

Am I missing something?
Attachments
upsmall.jpg
(42.54 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

jeffs22
United States of America

Re: Garrard Synchro Lab 95: record plaform funtion?

Post by jeffs22 » 14 Mar 2019 18:55

Forgot to say, this was happening before I took the unit apart. But since the auto function was stuck, I thought that might have been the cause.

jeffs22
United States of America

Post by jeffs22 » 14 Mar 2019 18:59

So you know, I was looking at the manual and at my pictures, and I'm wondering if my black platic piece might be broken. It looks like there should be a long springy arm extending from the pivot point (top left in photos) and pressing against that otherwise pintless grey pot metal post.

Can anybody confirm this ? Should be easy to see just looking underneath a SL-75 or SL-95.

jeffs22
United States of America

Post by jeffs22 » 14 Mar 2019 23:02

Okay, so I convinced myself that that had to be the problem and set out to fix it. I started out with a 3-d printined approach, but I've been down some pretty silly rabbit holes in my life and I'm beginning to learn what they look like....

So I ended up taking a simpler approach. Not beautiful, but it works flawlessly.
Attachments
fixedsmall.jpg
(49.22 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 15 Mar 2019 13:34

Well done! It's thirty years since I owned an SL95 (the 'B' versions and family dispensed with the retractable platform) and I can't remember how it worked.