spindle extension?

the jewel in the crown
FSonicSmith

spindle extension?

Post by FSonicSmith » 13 Feb 2019 18:14

I need some Help with extending the spindle of an early grease bearing rimless Garrard 301. I had the original bearing replaced with the brass main bearing offered by Shaun of Peak HiFi https://www.peakhifi.co.uk/cgi-bin ... b_pid=718 My spindle barely protrudes enough from my original platter to properly seat a record let alone a record weight. I am using the original rubber mat, or a good copy of same. It sure looks genuine. My turntable tech who installed the Peak HiFi bearing assured me that the spindle height of the new bearing is no different than the original and that "Garrards are known for having a short spindle". Not sure if this is true or not. But I do know this; I would like to either replace the OEM platter with a thicker custom made one or add a copper platter mat. Either way, I will need a longer spindle. How can this be done if done at all? Any and all Help would be most appreciated. I see from searching that someone made after-market platters with built in spindle extensions for Lenco's.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: spindle extension?

Post by DSJR » 13 Feb 2019 20:25

I'd email Loricraft first before shelling out any more money! Best I say no more, but PLEASE don't let this thing become a money pit ;)

FSonicSmith

Re: spindle extension?

Post by FSonicSmith » 16 Feb 2019 18:27

After sending out 6-7 inquiries, I received an absolute solution/answer.
Strangely enough, I was directed to the very same merchant I had purchased my after-market brass main bearing from.
https://www.peakhifi.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom ... b_pid=1144
I did ask Shaun of PeakHiFi why the longer spindle is not either standard with the new expensive brass bearing or at least featured as an option. I love Shaun. He responded "good idea". When I expressed concern that I might not be up to the task of replacing the spindle myself, he assured me that it was easy and that he would guide me through the process. So, the solution for me is an easy one; forget extensions and just replace the spindle with a longer one that is guaranteed to be compatible by virtue of being made by the same machining outfit.
The obvious downside; not inexpensive.