Garrard LAB 80 Cueing Bar problem

the jewel in the crown
ivokunc

Re: Garrard LAB 80 Cueing Bar problem

Post by ivokunc » 24 Jan 2019 02:42

And YES! this machine provides a supper sound even with this old Shure M44E.

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 24 Jan 2019 12:30

I got my set of bearings from this guy
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G100-High-qu ... 2749.l2649

Tonearm balls 1/16''
Platter/spindle 3/32''

ivokunc

Post by ivokunc » 24 Jan 2019 22:49

Well, I undo the three screws and removed the upper part of the tonearm base. What i found was security washer disconnected, that why the whole upper part was shaking before. Now the tonearm base is very stable and the bad gap disappear. Also i was able to adjust the pickup drop - I couldn't do it before, it was losing the adjustment and never been on constantly good position.
I still can't adjust the pick up on the end of the vinyl record - sometimes it is working good and arm return to the rest stem, but mostly it continues to roll over the wax end of the LP... Working with adjusting screw i lift the operating lever little bit without a serious change of operation. Actually, i didn't understand how this Auto trip is working!

ivokunc

Post by ivokunc » 25 Jan 2019 05:11

After a couple of hours working on auto trip mechanism, I think I understood how it is working. There was a problem with plastic friction plate - it wasn't moving the operating lever until its backside touches this lever, but to do this the tonearm needs to go almost to the center of the LP. I couldn't see it but obviously, there is something( small hole and pin probably) between plastic friction plate and operating lever...Or maybe some piece of dirt or the surface of the plastic plate was damaged anyway both parts are moving together now. The Service manual doesn't say anything about this... I adjusted two magnets to be on an even level. Now the tonearm picks up on the very beginning of the wax end of the LP. I'll continue this adjustment tomorrow and ill post the result. It was a really good experience so far... =D>

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 25 Jan 2019 08:01

Keep the trip parts dry. For proper movement of the friction lever above, the height of this latter must be carefully set so it just clears the cam lock it pushes up when engaged. Mine has a tiny rubber block on one side of the friction lever to prevent it retracting too far and if desperate, there's a non-concentric washer there to aid this as well (I don't have pics to hand).

ivokunc

Post by ivokunc » 25 Jan 2019 15:59

DSJR, is this the rubber block you talking about? If yes where it should be? I founded stuck inside the frame near to cueing mechanism without any relations with the parts around.
Also, I noticed that the adjusting screw on the friction plate has a pick on the bottom side who touch the friction plate. Is it should be like that?
Attachments
IMG_3143.JPG
(127.82 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
IMG_3142.JPG
(143.21 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
IMG_3141.JPG
(185.87 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
IMG_3140.JPG
(182.64 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
IMG_3139.JPG
(236.08 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 25 Jan 2019 19:59

May well be.

You've shown me yours, now I'll show you mine ;) -

gallery/image/40341

Your deck doesn't seem to have the eccentric washer in the same place*, but note the little rubber buffer on the side of the trip lever on mine...

* The rubbery pad you show may have been attached to the bent square? washer directly screwed in next to the trip lever - hope it makes sense.

ivokunc

Post by ivokunc » 26 Jan 2019 03:54

Yeah, your deck is a little bit different - my doesn't have this washer, but it has the same rubber pad on the same place.
I hope i finally got how the auto trip needs to be adjusted and how it is working!... This adjusting screw is not ONLY for adjusting the magnets level. The bottom part of this screw press the plastic friction plate and the force of this pressure need to be adjusted, so the friction plate moves the operating lever close to the striker, before the rear side of the plastic plate touch the rear side of the operating lever. Without this first movement the tonearm needs to go almost to the center and then the striker engages the operating lever.
Am i right?
P.S. I adjusted this pressure very accurate and now the auto trip mechanism is working properly. Actually, everything is working like Swiss clock now - tonearm drop on automatic mode, cueing up and down, cut, and auto trip.
This is one VERY nice machine and it is real pleasure to listen, and watch how it is working!
Thank you very much for all the help, information, and spending time!!
Ivo.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 29 Jan 2019 21:09

The rubber pad you found near the cueing lever msy actually be one that was meant to cushion the cueing tab as it pops out when the MANUAL lever is thrown. It is identical, complete with the adhesive that softens and falls off with the passage of years.

As for the adjustable outward stop for the auto trip lever, there were square ones and eccentric round ones. Maybe even more types!

ivokunc

Post by ivokunc » 29 Jan 2019 23:22

I guess this square rubber pad has this mention. Because the rest stem was unstable and moving I remove the two small screws and open the silver metal plate from the back side of the rest stem. What I found is the base of the plastic stem is broken and there is a small gap. So, I glued it with super glue and reattached the plate. Now it's stable and the cueing button doesn't pop up when the Manual lever is pressed. I didn't install the rubber piece again - I think it does not need it now...
Thank you for the help and advice! I really appreciated all the information provided!

Modernway
United States of America

Post by Modernway » 24 Jan 2020 23:36

Question : The only way I can get a record to play , to have the tone arm drop all the way down to play a record is to hold in the cueing button ... as soon as I let go the tonearm goes back up ???? any suggestions ??? thanks

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 25 Jan 2020 02:39

Could be the rotating "plate" under the cueing button is not rotating freely, or its tension spring is weak or missing. When you push the cueing button, it is supposed to rotate and hold the curing button "in."

Modernway
United States of America

Post by Modernway » 09 Feb 2020 21:13

Hi

I have a Clairtone Project G with the Lab 80
The problem I am having is that I guess what you call the cueing tab button will not stay in so you would have to hold it in to allow the tonearm and needle to stay down on the record
Any idea what the problem might be ?
Thank you very much
Courtney Newman
email greco@earthlink.net

3C39B0B1-0FFE-4B4D-8021-48281CC416DC.jpeg
(132.21 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Attachments
3C39B0B1-0FFE-4B4D-8021-48281CC416DC_1_105_c.jpeg
(113.39 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

ivokunc

Post by ivokunc » 10 Feb 2020 05:50

Unfortunately, my Garrad is not with me anymore - I exchanged it with another unit - Pioneer PL-800. But you need to open your machine and watch how it works. The mechanism needs to be clean carefully. As I remember the cueing mechanism is related with few links to the cueing bar behind the tonearm base. If the unit wasn't been in use long time it is very possible this bar to be stacked because of old grease - my unit had this problem...