the home of the turntable

Idler wheel on 301

the jewel in the crown

Idler wheel on 301

Postby emlt » 29 Dec 2017 14:48

I’ve been having an unusual problem of a ‘melting’ idler wheel leaving a black residue on the motor spindle, on the inside of the platter, reducing friction to the point where the platter slows down to a trickle. The only solution so far has been to remove the platter, clean everything, and start again. After a few spins, the problem recurs. Even mild sand papering the idler wheel at 78rpm has not helped. Also, the rubber looks perfectly OK, round, smooth with the right degree of firmness. Now this is on a NOS 301 that had sat unopened for 53 years. Finally had to bite the bullet and ordered an expensive new idler wheel from Perfectsound UK(costing more than what I paid for my entire 301), which arrived yesterday. The instructions say to keep it running for 48 hours for the rubber to get evenly heated. Which brings me to my question. Would it have helped to have done the same with my NOS idler wheel? Would the long hibernation have caused the rubber to weaken? To the point where it needs to be ‘broken in’ again? The original manual does not address the issue at all, but maybe you guys have had similar experiences, and found solutions that you might share. Thanks in advance.
emlt

Re: Idler wheel on 301

Postby A70BBen » 29 Dec 2017 22:53

My 301, which I have owned since 1970 or a little before, is on its original idler wheel and exhibits none of the symptoms you describe. But its whole life has been in a dry and temperate climate. If yours has spent its [-o< life in Bombay, the climate could account for a big difference.
A70BBen

Postby emlt » 30 Dec 2017 12:23

Thanks, A70BBen!
I also have a 401 ( from 1965) that has spent all Its life in a tropical climate, with an original idler wheel that runs on perfect speed. Never even had the need to clean that wheel even once. So it must be something else.
emlt

Postby A70BBen » 30 Dec 2017 21:02

DSJR has noted a change in the rubber in the Garrard 53883 idler wheel, which was used from the RC121 and Model T to the Lab 80. It could be that the change affected the 301/401 idler, too. The timeframe includes ghe acquisition of Garrard by Plessey, who had its own 6⅝ "pet" vendors.
A70BBen

Return to Garrard