New purchase: Garrard AT6 Mk II

the jewel in the crown
RKnack

Re: New purchase: Garrard AT6 Mk II

Post by RKnack » 25 Dec 2017 02:47

Spinner45 wrote:
A70BBen wrote:For LPs this is good and a fine match for your AT6. Less than twenty bucks:

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/ ... ategories=
Indeed, a simple solution.
Not a dual stylus type, though, and I also play 78's. I have no desire to completely change out the stylus for different types of records.

RKnack

Post by RKnack » 25 Dec 2017 02:50

Spinner45 wrote:
RKnack wrote:Okay, that explains why my dad uses a pre-amp with it for transferring his old vinyl to his computer. Guess I will have to get one, too.

So, on THAT note, what would be a good cartridge to use that isn't a highly expensive audiophile-grade cartridge? I just want to enjoy my record collection, from 100+ year old 78RPM's to 1980's LP's and 45's, and maybe, eventually, transfer them to digital format.
OK, to clarify things, that Kenwood system uses a magnetic cartridge turntable.
The KD65F is a linear tracking model.

In order to use that Garrard changer, you'll need to install a magnetic cartridge into it.
The Audio Technica AT95E is a good choice, reasonable.
Track it at 2 to 2.5 grams.
Advisable to get the changer serviced as was mentioned, too.
This way, endless frustrating threads of "why doesn't this or that work" are eliminated.
Will the AT95E fit directly into the AT6's headshell? Or does it completely replace the original headshell? I ask because the AT6 has a unique style of headshell, which is at an angle to the tonearm

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 25 Dec 2017 03:13

RKnack wrote:
Spinner45 wrote:
RKnack wrote:Okay, that explains why my dad uses a pre-amp with it for transferring his old vinyl to his computer. Guess I will have to get one, too.

So, on THAT note, what would be a good cartridge to use that isn't a highly expensive audiophile-grade cartridge? I just want to enjoy my record collection, from 100+ year old 78RPM's to 1980's LP's and 45's, and maybe, eventually, transfer them to digital format.
OK, to clarify things, that Kenwood system uses a magnetic cartridge turntable.
The KD65F is a linear tracking model.

In order to use that Garrard changer, you'll need to install a magnetic cartridge into it.
The Audio Technica AT95E is a good choice, reasonable.
Track it at 2 to 2.5 grams.
Advisable to get the changer serviced as was mentioned, too.
This way, endless frustrating threads of "why doesn't this or that work" are eliminated.
Will the AT95E fit directly into the AT6's headshell? Or does it completely replace the original headshell? I ask because the AT6 has a unique style of headshell, which is at an angle to the tonearm
The AT6 headshell isn't unusual.
And I wouldn't recommend something that wouldn't fit.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 25 Dec 2017 03:17

Yes, it will fit. The existing Acos should be mounted onto a metal adapter with standard 1/2 inch mount. I think I see the grey metal adapter in ine of the photos in the original EBay listing. Once it is removed, any of the cartridges mentioned (except the turnaround GE VR-II with knob on top) can be mounted to the adapter, which is held to the AT6 headshell by the screw on top.

You can NOT use the straight SME type headshell in your AT6. Garrard did not use that headshell until 1980 or so in the GT20, 25 and 35. You CAN use the later angked Garrard ones for the AT60, etc.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 25 Dec 2017 03:31

RKnack wrote:
Spinner45 wrote:
A70BBen wrote:For LPs this is good and a fine match for your AT6. Less than twenty bucks:

Not a dual stylus type, though, and I also play 78's. I have no desire to completely change out the stylus for different types of records.
With a stereo magnetic cartridge you have no choice. There are no two-stylus stereo magnetic cartridges. However on this page:

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog ... ategories=

the 740-D3 is a a 78 rpm stylus for that cartridge. The styli simply plug in and out. The cartridge remains in the headshell. You probably will still need to increase tracking weight from 2 1/2-3 grams for LP to 5 grams for 78s.

RKnack

Post by RKnack » 25 Dec 2017 04:02

Okay then, magnetic is out, unless I have no other choice. I want a dual stylus type of cartridge, like it would have originally used. I REALLY don't want to have to swap styli in and out any time I go from 78 to 33/45. So, what are my best choices now, within that constraint?

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 25 Dec 2017 04:29

Your Acos is not suitable for stereo records, and two-stylus ceramic cartridges are not in production any more. The current Chuo Denshi ceramics and their Chinese copycats are one-stylus (LP) only.

You are reliant on finding a used, good quality ceramic cartridge. I like the Sonotone 9TAHC. It will track at 2 grams and turn-under 78/LP styli are available. PROPERLY INTERFACED to an amplifier it is equal to a midpriced magnetic cartridge. But it is out of production.

Stylus:

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog ... ategories=

You'll have to find a used cartridge, (they are getting pricey), hope its ceramic elements are in good shape, and interface it to your existing stereo amp, whose inputs are not suitable for ceramics (this incompatibility applies to all ceramics).

A lot of ceramics are heavy-tracking record-eaters. Their main virtue was that they were cheap. But they are out of production, too.

RKnack

Post by RKnack » 25 Dec 2017 17:36

How about the BSR SC12M or the BSR SC11M? Those seem to be more readily available. I have seen the Sonotones for sale, but minus the proprietary connector plug (which the cartridge is useless without).

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 25 Dec 2017 19:09

RKnack wrote:How about the BSR SC12M or the BSR SC11M? Those seem to be more readily available. I have seen the Sonotones for sale, but minus the proprietary connector plug (which the cartridge is useless without).
Those need a propriatory connector, usually not supplied or available.

Insistance on using a ceramic, just shove a Varco TN4 in there and investigate an equalizing network to match the high impedance ceramic to the low impedance magnetic input.

RKnack

Post by RKnack » 28 Dec 2017 02:10

Spinner45 wrote:

"No longer available" - and the substitute is over $30.

I was just given a Pickering P/AC-1 cartridge by one of my co-workers today. Is that a good cartridge? If it's worth using, what needles would I need to get for 78's and 33's/45's?

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 28 Dec 2017 03:18

RKnack wrote:
Spinner45 wrote:

"No longer available" - and the substitute is over $30.

I was just given a Pickering P/AC-1 cartridge by one of my co-workers today. Is that a good cartridge? If it's worth using, what needles would I need to get for 78's and 33's/45's?
That site, the Voice of Music, has all the replacement info for the needles.

RKnack

Post by RKnack » 28 Dec 2017 10:56

So...is the Pickering P/AC-1 a good cartridge? Is it WORTH getting needles for?

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 28 Dec 2017 15:42

If you have a 'magnetic cartridge' stage, yes it is and you may be able to get 78 styli for it. I use the sibling Stanton 500V3 in my 60mk2 to good effect, tracking at a totally safe 3g. 78rpm styli 'must' be available for this?

RKnack

Post by RKnack » 28 Dec 2017 18:28

Seems to take the same needles as the Pickering V15.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 29 Dec 2017 03:20

You can get 78 styli for it, readily. They plug in and out, easily. They work well. But he says he does not want to chsnge styli to go between LP and 78s.

Stanton 500, Pickering V-15 and Pickering P-series were the same basic cartridge. Virtually all the styli interchange.
Last edited by A70BBen on 29 Dec 2017 03:31, edited 1 time in total.